Differentials - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today



Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
NJK
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 17
NJK is on a distinguished road
Differentials

I was informed briefly by my uncle today, that after so many inches of lift, i will need to adjust my differentials and gear ratios. Can someone with more knowledge go a little more in depth with this idea?
NJK is offline   Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
freeskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch
Posts: 2,866
freeskier is on a distinguished road
Your axles and gear ratios could care less about your lift height...

They are however going to care what size tires you have.

freeskier is offline   Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
DutchmansLJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Del Mar, CA
Posts: 187
DutchmansLJ is on a distinguished road
Yes they will matter with tires and pinion angle as well
__________________
06 Wrangler Unlimited 4.5in RE SF kit AEV tummy tucker BFG KM2 35s MB72s Tomwoods SYE & CV shaft PSC trail stinger custom rear tire swingaway bumper warn9500ti
DutchmansLJ is offline   Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Jaxon1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 1,118
Jaxon1023 is on a distinguished road
Only thing your differential cares about with a suspension lift is pinion angle. Larger tires and gearing will come into play
Jaxon1023 is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
NJK
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 17
NJK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon1023 View Post
Only thing your differential cares about with a suspension lift is pinion angle. Larger tires and gearing will come into play
So if I put 33s on and a 3.25" suspension lift, would that cause issues for me?
NJK is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,920
jp2611 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK View Post
So if I put 33s on and a 3.25" suspension lift, would that cause issues for me?
Maybe...depends on the way the lift is done the type of lift done and whether it is a BB, BL, SL or a combination of some of these.

Bottom line if you run bigger tires you will want to regear.
jp2611 is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
mossyoakwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ada, Ohio
Posts: 50
mossyoakwrangler is on a distinguished road
The higher you go the more you need to adjust pinion angle. Or go the cheap way out and drop the tcase
__________________
The deeper the better
mossyoakwrangler is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
NJK
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 17
NJK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2611 View Post

Maybe...depends on the way the lift is done the type of lift done and whether it is a BB, BL, SL or a combination of some of these.

Bottom line if you run bigger tires you will want to regear.
Is regearing something I can do myself if I do my homework?
NJK is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
NJK
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 17
NJK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyoakwrangler View Post
The higher you go the more you need to adjust pinion angle. Or go the cheap way out and drop the tcase
Ive heard some not so nice things about dropping the transfer case. Haveyou by chance run into these obstacles?
NJK is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
mossyoakwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ada, Ohio
Posts: 50
mossyoakwrangler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK View Post

Ive heard some not so nice things about dropping the transfer case. Haveyou by chance run into these obstacles?
Haha you have no idea. I had a 4 inch lift with 33s and i ended up blowing my rear end and bending my output shaft with the tcase drop. So i rebuilt the rear end, and got a sye kit and cv shaft and adjustable control arms. Doing the tcase is like life support. You're on borrowed time
__________________
The deeper the better
mossyoakwrangler is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,618
Cons_Table is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK View Post
Is regearing something I can do myself if I do my homework?
Most likely not. It's a very precise task that requires some special tools. If you don't get it right, you could fry your differentials. Unless you have some experience in this area and have the tools, you are better off having a pro do them. At least if something craps out, you arent the one stuck fixing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK View Post
Ive heard some not so nice things about dropping the transfer case. Haveyou by chance run into these obstacles?
What sorts of things? The biggest problem with lowering the TC is that it robs your ground clearance...so the majority of the clearance you gain with bigger tires (after a lift) is robbed by a TC drop.
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,618
Cons_Table is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyoakwrangler View Post
Haha you have no idea. I had a 4 inch lift with 33s and i ended up blowing my rear end and bending my output shaft with the tcase drop. So i rebuilt the rear end, and got a sye kit and cv shaft and adjustable control arms. Doing the tcase is like life support. You're on borrowed time
I think this is the first time I have ever heard about something like this how does the TC drop cause all of this havoc? I know guys running them that have never had a problem
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
mossyoakwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ada, Ohio
Posts: 50
mossyoakwrangler is on a distinguished road
You might not have a problem but of you lift it and put bigger tires on it the drop will take vibes out maybe it maybe not. Either way it still stresses your u joints out. It's easier if you have the money to do the sye cv shaft control arms all in one that way you have your true amount of lift without belly sag and the tougher drive line setup
__________________
The deeper the better
mossyoakwrangler is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,618
Cons_Table is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyoakwrangler View Post
You might not have a problem but of you lift it and put bigger tires on it the drop will take vibes out maybe it maybe not. Either way it still stresses your u joints out. It's easier if you have the money to do the sye cv shaft control arms all in one that way you have your true amount of lift without belly sag and the tougher drive line setup
Agreed on the fact that it may or may not stop the vibes. However, I guess the question I am asking is, IF it does stop the vibes, how does it stress the U-joints any more than normal?
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
NJK
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 17
NJK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyoakwrangler View Post

Haha you have no idea. I had a 4 inch lift with 33s and i ended up blowing my rear end and bending my output shaft with the tcase drop. So i rebuilt the rear end, and got a sye kit and cv shaft and adjustable control arms. Doing the tcase is like life support. You're on borrowed time
Hahaha all the more reason not to cut corners, ill look into the math behind it. Hopefully it doesnt cost me a fortune to figure out lol
NJK is offline   Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
mossyoakwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ada, Ohio
Posts: 50
mossyoakwrangler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table View Post

Agreed on the fact that it may or may not stop the vibes. However, I guess the question I am asking is, IF it does stop the vibes, how does it stress the U-joints any more than normal?
It may stop vibes but your pinion angle may not be correct which can stress them. My buddy had a tj drive around without vibes. After about 3 to 4 months it slowly started vibrating. Same thing happened to my Jeep before balancer fell off. I may not be right but i strongly disagree with the t case drop with a 4 inch lift. Besides why lift it 4 inches just to lower your tcase 2 inches?

__________________
The deeper the better
mossyoakwrangler is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC
« Back

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner