DIY brake pads.... - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 155
DIY brake pads....

Is there a DIY for changing the brake pads anywhere out there??.. I have a 2000 TJ...

also any diagrams with the jack points??.. thanks!


ab8140 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-09-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,147
Images: 5
Nothing to major for changing them.

loosen the lugs,
jack the tire up with the bottle jack.

Place a safty jack under the frame behind the front lower control arm mount..

Remove tire
remove caliper bolts, if needed hang caliper on lower control arm.
At this point I remove the old rotor, as they are cheap too. make sure you get the correct ones.. or the jeep will not move! Cast and composite are the two types...
pop pads out..

Here is where it gets fun..
you need to push the piston back to allow the new pads to fit.
I use a short section of bar stock and a c-clamp to slowly push it back in. Add the new pads.. and put it all back together..

__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,147
Images: 5
Here is one with pic's.. Though one step calls to bleed the system.. which I have never had to do.

Jeep TJ Front Disc Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
daanbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Palm Beach Fl.
Posts: 815
Images: 2
Yeah, i've done quit a few brake jobs, and never had to bleed the system. I make sure to loosen the master cylinder cap, and wrap a rag around it. Just in case the fluid rises out. I have also bought the wrong rotors!!! Put them on and the wheels would not budge. I then went to take them off, and the lugs would not come off!! I had to buy an impact wrench, which did the job.
daanbc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-10-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
that's what she said

WF Supporting Member
 
jgano23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: \m/-_-\m/
Posts: 16,482
Send a message via AIM to jgano23 Send a message via Yahoo to jgano23
the title of this thread scared me initially. i thought i was going to read about how someone made their own brake pads.
jgano23 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Atthehop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW, NJ
Posts: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgano23 View Post
the title of this thread scared me initially. i thought i was going to read about how someone made their own brake pads.
Now that would have been an interesting read.
__________________
Retired my 94 YJ 4cyl 5spd @ 200K
Now in a 04 TJ 4cyl 5spd CV @120K+
Both as a commuter vehicle in NW, NJ
April 2012.downsized and now a 99er.
Atthehop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
that's what she said

WF Supporting Member
 
jgano23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: \m/-_-\m/
Posts: 16,482
Send a message via AIM to jgano23 Send a message via Yahoo to jgano23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atthehop View Post
Now that would have been an interesting read.
that's what i thought
jgano23 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
Newb
 
masonraceworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jeepn View Post
Nothing to major for changing them.

loosen the lugs,
jack the tire up with the bottle jack.

Place a safty jack under the frame behind the front lower control arm mount..

Remove tire
remove caliper bolts, if needed hang caliper on lower control arm.
At this point I remove the old rotor, as they are cheap too. make sure you get the correct ones.. or the jeep will not move! Cast and composite are the two types...
pop pads out..

Here is where it gets fun..
you need to push the piston back to allow the new pads to fit.
I use a short section of bar stock and a c-clamp to slowly push it back in. Add the new pads.. and put it all back together..


So what type of rotor did you buy? I bought the cast one from Checker and the tires don't move. I saw on the list that there were 10 different discs to choose from. Can you tell me which one to go with? I have to take off the rotors tonight and exchanged them for the right ones.
masonraceworks is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
Newb
 
masonraceworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonraceworks View Post
So what type of rotor did you buy? I bought the cast one from Checker and the tires don't move. I saw on the list that there were 10 different discs to choose from. Can you tell me which one to go with? I have to take off the rotors tonight and exchanged them for the right ones.
I bought the correct rotors. The correct ones have an offset of 3 1/16".

The other ones that locked were 3 13/64" offset. Basically, when I installed the incorrect ones, the inside brake pads locked against the rotor.

masonraceworks is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first time on the beach 08fun JK General Discussion Forum 33 08-03-2011 11:06 AM
Brake Problems YjMopower YJ Tech Forum 22 05-30-2009 09:20 AM
Brake lights yelir49 TJ General Discussion Forum 7 12-03-2007 09:11 AM
Brake issue britton YJ Tech Forum 6 09-05-2007 12:07 PM
General brake question... dj_chizzle General Jeep Discussion 6 07-15-2007 06:45 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC