Driveline vibe - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Wheelinyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 188
Driveline vibe

Hey guys I have a 97 TJ Sahara 4.0 5-speed with 186xxx miles. I installed 4.5 lift almost two years ago (roughly 20k miles) along with an Advance Adapters SYE and Tom Woods drive shaft. Just recently I'm getting a bad drive line vibration from 2nd gear on when I am on the throttle, coasting the vibe is gone. I took the driveshaft out and upon inspection the rear ujoint was questionable at best so I had it replaced, however, I am still experiencing the same issue. What else should I be looking for?

Again, coasting there is no vibration, only when on the throttle. Pinion angle is correct and has not changed since install.

Please help!

Thanks in advance,

Wheelinyz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Ignore me...

WF Supporting Member
 
InvictusDecretum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hurlburt Field
Posts: 701
Images: 1
Could check your transmission mounts and/or your engine mounts? Those are easily replaced and can be done without removing the skid plate.

Whens the last time you had your tires balanced ?

Sorry if these are dumb answers. There are too many smart people on this forum that can lead you down a complex expensive rabbit hole. I'd rather start with simple.

__________________
'05 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara #268 of 1000
"This baby’s pulse is pumping 4.0 liters of uncensored raw fuel through her straight six nuclear power plant."
My Build Thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/in...ml#post6709282
InvictusDecretum is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Wheelinyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvictusDecretum View Post
Could check your transmission mounts and/or your engine mounts? Those are easily replaced and can be done without removing the skid plate. Whens the last time you had your tires balanced ? Sorry if these are dumb answers. There are too many smart people on this forum that can lead you down a complex expensive rabbit hole. I'd rather start with simple.
The tires are about 10k miles on them. It could be that I guess, but I would think I would have coasting as well?

Motor mounts and trans mounts look to be good. I will look into that again though...

Any other thoughts? I'm open to the feed back.
Wheelinyz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 4,935
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelinyz View Post
Motor mounts and trans mounts look to be good. I will look into that again though...
My guess is your transfer case mount. It can look okay, and still be separated. Put a pry bar between the back of the skid and the tc and gently pry up. If you can raise the tc, replace the mount.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
 
XTRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 2,119
Have you greased the CV joint drive shaft properly? I fried mine in less than 20K miles and had it replaced. My shaft didn't come with the grease gun needle attachment needed to get into the recessed grease fitting on the CV joint so I didn't maintain it properly and it cause vibes as it wore out. You can pull the drive shaft and you'll be able to feel if the joint is shot when you work it around in your hands.
__________________
Ryan H. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our WranglerForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Wheelinyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRyan View Post
Have you greased the CV joint drive shaft properly? I fried mine in less than 20K miles and had it replaced. My shaft didn't come with the grease gun needle attachment needed to get into the recessed grease fitting on the CV joint so I didn't maintain it properly and it cause vibes as it wore out. You can pull the drive shaft and you'll be able to feel if the joint is shot when you work it around in your hands.
Are those not replaceable at that point if that be the case?
Wheelinyz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelinyz View Post
Are those not replaceable at that point if that be the case?
They can be replaced it's called a cv centering kit. Not too difficult to change out just takes time and and a steady hand. If the pin is gaulled or broken it may need to be replaced to. At that point you'll just need weld a new cv to your shaft.
DGcooper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Wheelinyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGcooper View Post
They can be replaced it's called a cv centering kit. Not too difficult to change out just takes time and and a steady hand. If the pin is gaulled or broken it may need to be replaced to. At that point you'll just need weld a new cv to your shaft.
Ok thanks for the help. I will pull the shaft out again and check those ujoints at the front of it and go from there.
Wheelinyz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Wheelinyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 188
Update for all, it was my CV joint that was causing the vibration. I was able to clean up the joint and pack it full of grease and the vibe is gone (for now, expecting to have to replace it soon).

Thanks for all the help!
Wheelinyz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
robtbritn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hollister
Posts: 48
Good info, thanks for the update.

__________________
Rob
04 Rubicon
robtbritn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC