Dry grinding noise from steering - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Miguedona21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
Thumbs down Dry grinding noise from steering

whenever i am backing out and need to turn my wheels wide while barely moving i get almost grinding noise from the steering wheel. i can feel it underneath the pedal. is it something i can oil or tighten? or should i take it to the shop to get it checked out? I am not the most mechanically savvy.

Miguedona21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-08-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
TJ-Q8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguedona21
whenever i am backing out and need to turn my wheels wide while barely moving i get almost grinding noise from the steering wheel. i can feel it underneath the pedal. is it something i can oil or tighten? or should i take it to the shop to get it checked out? I am not the most mechanically savvy.
Check all joints if they gave grease. Or actually grease them if you havent in a long time. Whatever zerk u see put grease in and go from there.

__________________
2001 Jeep Wranlger Tj (Maroon)
Auto for now, will be manual soon
All Stock for now too
Other vehicles:
1978 Chevy Silverado restored
2009 Harley Fat Bob
TJ-Q8 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Miguedona21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-Q8

Check all joints if they gave grease. Or actually grease them if you havent in a long time. Whatever zerk u see put grease in and go from there.
Ok is there any specific grease to use? Or some wb40?
Miguedona21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
TJ-Q8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguedona21

Ok is there any specific grease to use? Or some wb40?
For all ball joints you need a grease gun and if not mistaken lithium grease, but its better if someone confirms that.
__________________
2001 Jeep Wranlger Tj (Maroon)
Auto for now, will be manual soon
All Stock for now too
Other vehicles:
1978 Chevy Silverado restored
2009 Harley Fat Bob
TJ-Q8 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
NC Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,305
up under the dash where the steering wheel goes through the firewall there is a little rubber boot. Slide it up, exposing a joint. Spray the joint with white lithium grease and replace the boot.

I have had to do this twice in my 97 bot times after the Jeep sat a couple weeks. It goes away immediately.
NC Bear is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Miguedona21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bear View Post
up under the dash where the steering wheel goes through the firewall there is a little rubber boot. Slide it up, exposing a joint. Spray the joint with white lithium grease and replace the boot.

I have had to do this twice in my 97 bot times after the Jeep sat a couple weeks. It goes away immediately.
Sounds simple enough. would i reach this from the interior? or from under the hood?
Miguedona21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Miguedona21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
Nevermind i found it! will be greasing it tonight. thanks again!

Miguedona21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC