12-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Join Date: Dec 2010
Okay, driving last night in my 98 TJ Sahara and the electrical menace begins:
1) The RH turn signal indicator stays on then flickers and goes out then comes back on and stays on.
2) I give the instrument pod a wrap think, you know, loose connection or just to say I had accomplished that task. Panel lights go out.
3) Looking at the gauges while driving by flipping on the interior light and even the headlights head south momentarily but come back.
4) Proceed to first exit and hit the RH turn signal which cycles very fast (faster than the LH) as if it is perhaps. . . . a ground?
5) Realize when I stop that I don't have brake lights, tail lights, panel lights, and fogs but I DO have turn signals.
6) All fuses checked and okay.
7) Start playing around with the light switch, pulling it out slowly and jigglin it a little (pardon the sexual tone here but I am getting effed by my Jeep at this point--12am, 20 degrees outside) and find that at one point on the switch everything comes back. Voila! Change the switch right?
8) Hit NAPA and get a switch, change it and still the same problems.
Okay, what sayeth everyone? I'm think of going back to a tailight ground as a have had a similar rapid blinking problem with an S-10 of old. The fact the headlight switch didn't solution the problem hasa me puzzled though . . . especially when I could get everything to work okay by manipluating the old switch (note that you could hear the relay clicking under the dash by the fuse panel when it hit the "sweet spot").
Anyway, new to the forum but not to the trials of Jeep ownership.
98 Wrangler Sahara
83 Jeep Scrambler Laredo
52 Willys M38
41 Willy MB