English Tj member - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
Newb
 
ginetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Yorkshire England
Posts: 14
English Tj member

I have right hand drive tj and have some play in the lower steering shaft. Do any of you know if the steering shaft parts are the same as left hand drive jeeps? Mine keeps working loose on the box clamp but when clamped tight it makes the steering stiff as if it needs to move. The nylon dealer only with the column bearing also seems worn. Jeep has had a 2" lift years ago but does the column need modifying? Should any of the slip joint s move at all? Just seems like its not happy as it is and from pictures it looks the same as a left hand drive part. The uj's all seem fine but I fear I'll have to buy a whole new lower shaft just because the silly plastic and rubber bearing is loose. To me the shaft shouldhave a lower end support bearing too to hold it better? Has anyone made new support bearings better than the original?
Guess what I also have a cracked manifold to replace too.
Harvey

ginetta is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-28-2014, 05:06 AM   #2
Newb
 
ginetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Yorkshire England
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginetta View Post
I have right hand drive tj and have some play in the lower steering shaft. Do any of you know if the steering shaft parts are the same as left hand drive jeeps? Mine keeps working loose on the box clamp but when clamped tight it makes the steering stiff as if it needs to move. The nylon dealer only with the column bearing also seems worn. Jeep has had a 2" lift years ago but does the column need modifying? Should any of the slip joint s move at all? Just seems like its not happy as it is and from pictures it looks the same as a left hand drive part. The uj's all seem fine but I fear I'll have to buy a whole new lower shaft just because the silly plastic and rubber bearing is loose. To me the shaft shouldhave a lower end support bearing too to hold it better? Has anyone made new support bearings better than the original?
Guess what I also have a cracked manifold to replace too.
Harvey
I should have put steering shaft in my title as no replies.

ginetta is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Momamac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cedar Springs, Michigan
Posts: 91
I don't know about the steering but welcome just the same! Post some pics, we all love Jeep pics!
__________________
2004 Unlimited
Still stock for a while!
Momamac is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-30-2014, 02:53 AM   #4
Newb
 
ginetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Yorkshire England
Posts: 14
Try this


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1349080159.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1155017

Now got manifolds off!
ginetta is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 83
Nice! Is that an original color?
bryanintowson is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-31-2014, 02:44 AM   #6
Newb
 
ginetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Yorkshire England
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanintowson View Post
Nice! Is that an original color?
yes in England . Busy painting the engine block now whirl the manifolds are both off. Mine is a 99 with 41000 miles on it. Harvey
ginetta is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 83
I'm curious about Jeep culture and Jeep people in in the UK. Is there a strong aftermarket with specialist shops?

Just how painful are the taxes and fuel costs for a Jeep?
bryanintowson is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Newb
 
ginetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Yorkshire England
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanintowson View Post
I'm curious about Jeep culture and Jeep people in in the UK. Is there a strong aftermarket with specialist shops? Just how painful are the taxes and fuel costs for a Jeep?
Land rover rules over here as much cheaper to run and lot of specialist. I like to be different and liked the jeep tj as it's got rear seats for my two boys and they are cheaper than land rovers to buy good ones but spares are not great or cheap. I will have to try buying parts from the USA but the shipping and tax makes them expensive sadly. Land rovers are more advanced with permanent 4 x 4 and better built but I like the Jeep looks with the roof off. We have a uk web site called jeepey.com http://club.jeepey.com with pictures of the uk jeeps so have a look. H
ginetta is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
BeerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 449
As a rover guy and a TJ owner, Welcome Harvey!

I've had 2 built Range Rovers 1989 & 1992 County. I also had a lifted 2001 Discovery. I am always on the lookout for my next Rover! Would love a series/defender but they are ridiculously expensive here. Bo
__________________
01 TJ Sahara 4.0 Auto
35s, 4.56s, D35/44, Locked, Lifted,
Dented, Scratched, Broke Windshield,
Warn M8000, 12voltguy, KC's
2 much crap/mods to list
BeerMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2014, 03:45 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 32
Hi
Another Englishman here and Tj owner, Hi to Ginetta. I also have had Landrovers but like to be a bit different hence the TJ, especially as a good friend of mine owns a Landrover repair business and has just finished a 110 county for a visitor from the states, he picked it up a couple of weeks back. Parts for the wrangler over here are expensive and not much about, you can find more on German ebay or import from you Guys. Lately I have found it cheaper to import than buy here, and people are wanting silly money for used parts when breaking vehicles. I get 15mpg and with fuel prices at around £1.37 a litre its quite painfull. heres mine.

TJgeorgen is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #11
Newb
 
ginetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Yorkshire England
Posts: 14
Yours is the same colour too it seems. Has the colour got a name? I'll check the German Ebay then for parts but I really need to do something with the crap steering shaft play. My lower steering shaft just before the box will move up and down loosley when grabbed in my hand as its got no support at all at the box end and the nylon bearing also allows quite a few millimetres of up and down and sideways play? The nylon bearing is unobtainable on its own without having to buy the whole new steering shaft as well (ridiculous). My worry is it wont pass our uk MOT safety tests with its movement? The clamp bolt onto the box spline is also loose again after recently being tightened?
I may try a longer bolt with a locknut on the outside off the clamp but it suggests something is pulling and loosening the clamp in use as the UJ's turn and pull?

I also have no self centering steering at all so maybe my caster is wrong too? Its only around a 2" suspension lift nothing dramatic.
Harvey
ginetta is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginetta View Post
Yours is the same colour too it seems. Has the colour got a name? I'll check the German Ebay then for parts but I really need to do something with the crap steering shaft play. My lower steering shaft just before the box will move up and down loosley when grabbed in my hand as its got no support at all at the box end and the nylon bearing also allows quite a few millimetres of up and down and sideways play? The nylon bearing is unobtainable on its own without having to buy the whole new steering shaft as well (ridiculous). My worry is it wont pass our uk MOT safety tests with its movement? The clamp bolt onto the box spline is also loose again after recently being tightened?
I may try a longer bolt with a locknut on the outside off the clamp but it suggests something is pulling and loosening the clamp in use as the UJ's turn and pull?

I also have no self centering steering at all so maybe my caster is wrong too? Its only around a 2" suspension lift nothing dramatic.
Harvey
Hi Harvey
Pics would be better to explain, you are allowed a small amount of movement as steering boxes are quite common with it, makes you miss rack and pinion steering doesn't it lol. By what you or saying I am leaning towards something seized in your steering as the bolt is self loosening and no self centre effect. you really need to get front wheels off the floor and disconnect steering box from steering bar and see if its the box seizing or something else like ball joints. On the steering front have you posted on any English sites or just this one, there is a wealth of knowledge on here but sometimes terminology and especially as there steering is on the opposite side of ours. im on birtydastards.com and jeepownersclub, Im sure you will pick up the info you need to find the parts you need or even someone local to lend a hand.
TJgeorgen is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 32
Colour I think is Bright Jade Satin Metallic
TJgeorgen is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #14
Yipeee Kay Ayyy

WF Supporting Member
 
Wesboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginetta View Post
Yours is the same colour too it seems. Has the colour got a name? I'll check the German Ebay then for parts but I really need to do something with the crap steering shaft play. My lower steering shaft just before the box will move up and down loosley when grabbed in my hand as its got no support at all at the box end and the nylon bearing also allows quite a few millimetres of up and down and sideways play? The nylon bearing is unobtainable on its own without having to buy the whole new steering shaft as well (ridiculous). My worry is it wont pass our uk MOT safety tests with its movement? The clamp bolt onto the box spline is also loose again after recently being tightened?
I may try a longer bolt with a locknut on the outside off the clamp but it suggests something is pulling and loosening the clamp in use as the UJ's turn and pull?

I also have no self centering steering at all so maybe my caster is wrong too? Its only around a 2" suspension lift nothing dramatic.
Harvey
This 'clamp bolt' you refer to - is it under the dash?
__________________
97 TJ Sport 4.0L Auto RHD
http://www.wranglerforum.com/profile.php?do=updatesignature#sigpic
Wesboy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-21-2014, 01:41 AM   #15
Newb
 
ginetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Yorkshire England
Posts: 14
Clamp bolt is what holds the lowest UJ to the steering box. Because it comes loose the whole steering shaft moves up and down loosely and even the nylon bearing is a loose fit. Very poor design. H
ginetta is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-21-2014, 02:01 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 32
theres a tj getting broke on ebay JEEP WRANGLER TJ. 4.0 SAHARA. MANUAL. BREAKING FOR PARTS. 1997. IMMOBILISER | eBay

I adjusted my steering box yesterday to take some of the play out, mine rocks the shaft slightly where it comes out the bottom and noticed yesterday one of the ball joint got a little play.
TJgeorgen is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-21-2014, 02:11 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 32
Is it the last uj joint on the steering shaft what attaches to the steering box you are having trouble with Harvey?
TJgeorgen is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #18
Newb
 
ginetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Yorkshire England
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJgeorgen View Post
Is it the last uj joint on the steering shaft what attaches to the steering box you are having trouble with Harvey?
No the clamp at the bottom. I have done another post and put pictures up on my findings after taking the shaft apart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2382453899.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	1232889

See my other steering shaft play
post for more info
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3343145964.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	1232881  
ginetta is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 83
Best of luck to you guys on keeping your Jeeps rolling!

bryanintowson is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC