extended rear sway bar links ???? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 60
extended rear sway bar links ????

I have a 06 LJ with a 4in old man emu lift from rocky road outfitters with 315/75/16 BFG KM2s stock arms adjustable track bars front and rear. Now this ass of the jeep has been real snapy when turning since putting the lift on I have been trying different things like checking alignment tires shocks all good I unhooked the rear sway bar and it went away drives great with some added body roll but not dangerous or anything. My ? is how do u figure out the length rear sway bar links I need?

Here's how she sits now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130619_175734.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	263517

lawndog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,257
4" longer than stock is a good bet, since you have a 4" lift.

also, what track bars, and any relocation brackets? a drop pitman arm? did you install adjustable lower and upper control arms to properly set axle position, caster and pinion angles? did you upgrade the steering and brakes for the larger tires yet?

UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
4" longer than stock is a good bet, since you have a 4" lift.

also, what track bars, and any relocation brackets? a drop pitman arm? did you install adjustable lower and upper control arms to properly set axle position, caster and pinion angles? did you upgrade the steering and brakes for the larger tires yet?
The track bars came with the lift kit. No relocation brackets or pitman arm. All other parts are stock I have been looking on eBay for links I was thinking 3-5 should work but the lift looks taller than most 4" lifts I have seen. I'm also looking to upgrade the steering and control arms maybe getting a long arm kit but I'm not sure witch is the best bang for the buck
lawndog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
TheDesertOutlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,623
These cost me about $30 - my original set were worn out, the bushings turned to mush. Now, the Jeep handles at hwy speeds much better.

__________________
Tomb Raider #815 - 2003 1/2 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon w/4" Pro Comp/Metal Cloak dbl adj arms, Pro-Comp MX-6, Daystar BL, K&N FIPK II w/Air Raid, ViAir Extreme OBA, Currie Steering, Black Rock D909s, 35" BFG KM2 -- BUILT FOR BAJA
4" 33" to 35"
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/1517457_10203416408666416_5192773015714389607_n.jp  g
TheDesertOutlaw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertOutlaw View Post
These cost me about $30 - my original set were worn out, the bushings turned to mush. Now, the Jeep handles at hwy speeds much better.
I was leaning towards those on eBay there $29 with free shipping
lawndog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,257
ok, so if you haven't replaced your control arms, then your pinion angle and axle positions will be off. the biggest effect is the loss of caster in front, which makes your jeep drive like sh!t...dartish & scary at highway speed, and it will want to follow every little defect in the road. rear sway bar links need to be on the list and they are fairly cheap, but keep in mind there are higher priority problems to put your money, IMHO.
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
ok, so if you haven't replaced your control arms, then your pinion angle and axle positions will be off. the biggest effect is the loss of caster in front, which makes your jeep drive like sh!t...dartish & scary at highway speed, and it will want to follow every little defect in the road. rear sway bar links need to be on the list and they are fairly cheap, but keep in mind there are higher priority problems to put your money, IMHO.
Ok I have been looking at all the different control arms out there I was thinking about the rough country long arm kit and curri steering
lawndog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawndog View Post

Ok I have been looking at all the different control arms out there I was thinking about the rough country long arm kit and curri steering
Currie steering, good idea. RC control arms.... Just don't do it. Their bushing are know to be useless in one year or less. And don't even get me started on their long arm design.

You need to do alot of research before you just buy a kit off the shelf.
__________________
OME suspension, some JKS stuff, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by PStov98TJ View Post

Currie steering, good idea. RC control arms.... Just don't do it. Their bushing are know to be useless in one year or less. And don't even get me started on their long arm design.

You need to do alot of research before you just buy a kit off the shelf.
Good to know thanks ya Jonny joints, rubber, urethane, bushings then fixed, adjustable, straight, curved so many things to look at when trying to decide
lawndog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawndog View Post

Good to know thanks ya Jonny joints, rubber, urethane, bushings then fixed, adjustable, straight, curved so many things to look at when trying to decide
It's actually kinda simple once you think about it and you will soon see that there are only a few things that truly work and then you can decide on what you want from there.

Read this thread along with the ones posted in it by Imped. Ignore the pissing match. There's plenty of good stuff in there that you need to learn.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/long...ts-228510.html

And this thread highlights MC's new joint and shows a little more how Imped's rig is set up. He's got one of the best custom CA setups around in my opinion. And it's a pretty good read as well.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...ks-up-1482467/

Make google your best friend before you decide anything about control arms or how to set them up. You won't regret it.

__________________
OME suspension, some JKS stuff, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC