Frame rust/rot - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Absecon, NJ
Posts: 15
Frame rust/rot

Hey guys. Like I mentioned on my intro post, my TJ has some frame rot and rust, but I'm not quite sure how bad is considered bad. Is this safe to drive? Off road? Does it look like it can be patched or should I cry for a few hours and look for a new frame? Any input would be appreciated. Here's some pictures I took the other day after poking at it a bit with a screwdriver. There's a bit more than this but these seemed to be the worst areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130304_165051.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	218415   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130304_165102-1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	218416  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130304_165110.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	218417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130304_165225-1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	218418  


Mephare is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Personally, I would do something about it... Within reason or pocket money. One hard bump might be all the difference between you and the road below the jeep

RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Absecon, NJ
Posts: 15
That's what I'm worried about. =\

I got a little overwhelmed and excited when I saw it up for sale, and didn't really give the frame a good enough look before I bought it. To me it looks like it can be patched up, but the first and third image looks like some kind of bracket that holds the tub or something to the actual frame. I've seen frame parts on Quadratec's website. Hopefully those are one of those rusted out spots. I have no clue how much patching costs at a shop. I'm sure it's expensive... and I spent all of my money on buying and tagging it.
Mephare is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephare View Post
That's what I'm worried about. =\

I got a little overwhelmed and excited when I saw it up for sale, and didn't really give the frame a good enough look before I bought it. To me it looks like it can be patched up, but the first and third image looks like some kind of bracket that holds the tub or something to the actual frame. I've seen frame parts on Quadratec's website. Hopefully those are one of those rusted out spots. I have no clue how much patching costs at a shop. I'm sure it's expensive... and I spent all of my money on buying and tagging it.
Sorry to hear about ur misfortune. Hope it was a good deal because unfortunately that's gonna now balance out. I crawled under my jeep, opened up everything. Myself i got scrwed on the fenders. I thought it was only surface rust, and something i could repair as i have done to previous vehicles but not so. Last month i had a better look at my fenders and i could push thru almost on one side from underneath. Had a quote from a local body man who did work for me on a quarter panel on my last pickup and did an awesome job fixing/painting it. This time, 2 fenders welded up right will run me 400$. A side from that, i got lucky nothing else major was needed.
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Absecon, NJ
Posts: 15
It was a pretty darn good deal IMO. For what it has done to it, mileage, etc. compared to the other Wranglers on craigslist in comparison at least... as long as I don't need to fork out $2,400 for a new frame + labor.

If it's road drive-able for now and I can get it fixed at a shop for $400-500... no biggie. Still waiting for state tax and a few paychecks to come in.

My front fenders have small rust holes in them as well, but that's not a worry. I was planning on replacing them with some aftermarket ones eventually anyway. The engine looks clean with no leaks, and the transmission shifts smooth. Clutch is a little worn, but not bad at all. Just the frame scaring me.
Mephare is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephare View Post
It was a pretty darn good deal IMO. For what it has done to it, mileage, etc. compared to the other Wranglers on craigslist in comparison at least... as long as I don't need to fork out $2,400 for a new frame + labor.

If it's road drive-able for now and I can get it fixed at a shop for $400-500... no biggie. Still waiting for state tax and a few paychecks to come in.

My front fenders have small rust holes in them as well, but that's not a worry. I was planning on replacing them with some aftermarket ones eventually anyway. The engine looks clean with no leaks, and the transmission shifts smooth. Clutch is a little worn, but not bad at all. Just the frame scaring me.
Dont suppose u could put on a few all around pics, got me curious lol
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Absecon, NJ
Posts: 15
Of the frame or the Jeep itself?
Mephare is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Absecon, NJ
Posts: 15
Here's a few pics I took of the Jeep itself: Just bought a TJ. New to forum.
Mephare is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephare View Post
Here's a few pics I took of the Jeep itself: Just bought a TJ. New to forum.
Yeah your rig looks good... But was that a custom bumper/stinger at the front? I dont mean to offend but it looks right out of place. I would bedline that just as a recommendation.
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
JReed615's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevCo666 View Post

Sorry to hear about ur misfortune. Hope it was a good deal because unfortunately that's gonna now balance out. I crawled under my jeep, opened up everything. Myself i got scrwed on the fenders. I thought it was only surface rust, and something i could repair as i have done to previous vehicles but not so. Last month i had a better look at my fenders and i could push thru almost on one side from underneath. Had a quote from a local body man who did work for me on a quarter panel on my last pickup and did an awesome job fixing/painting it. This time, 2 fenders welded up right will run me 400$. A side from that, i got lucky nothing else major was needed.
Good reason to get some metalcloak or poison spyder fenders
JReed615 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed615 View Post
Good reason to get some metalcloak or poison spyder fenders
I like mine stock. Trying to keep it that way. Not into modding actually as strange as that sounds. Maybe just little things but over all, no lifts, bumper changes (except for milk jugs lol), fenders, or armor. I like my jeep simple
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Absecon, NJ
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevCo666 View Post
Yeah your rig looks good... But was that a custom bumper/stinger at the front? I dont mean to offend but it looks right out of place. I would bedline that just as a recommendation.
It's a fishing pole holder. I'll be taking it off when I get the chance since I'm not a fisher. I might know someone who wants it, so I'll probably just give it to him lol. Stock bumper. Haven't even pulled off the milk jugs yet.
Mephare is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Jeembro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevCo666 View Post

Yeah your rig looks good... But was that a custom bumper/stinger at the front? I dont mean to offend but it looks right out of place. I would bedline that just as a recommendation.
That's not a stinger, it's a fishing rod holder. See link below:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92038_10.htm
__________________
2005 Wrangler TJ - Rubicon / DPG OME Ultimate Lift / Metalcloak Overlines and 35 MT/Rs
Jeembro is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Absecon, NJ
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed615 View Post
Good reason to get some metalcloak or poison spyder fenders
I was actually looking into that. I like the look of both of them. Just gotta make sure the frame is alright first, then save up the money for em.
Mephare is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeembro View Post
That's not a stinger, it's a fishing rod holder. See link below:
Angler's Aluminum 4 ROD HOLD - Aluminum Rod Rack 4-Rod Holder Bumper Mount - Quadratec
Ah Jezz I'm sorry about that... I had no clue what it was. Makes sense now
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
josh542's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Spandahlem AFB, Germany
Posts: 131
I have the same problem with my jeep now maybe even worse lol, i was lucky enough that my dads mechanic friend has a son thats been welding frames for awhile. He said he'd do mine for a good price so im gonna drive it back home this summer to get it done. IMO tho you could drive on it for awhile just dont go rockcrawling lol, keep away from offraoding mostly but it should be fine.

Also just search around your area and you should find a good price don't pay over a grand for sure but it shouldn't get to close to that anyway. The only work that needs doing is to cut back the rust around the spots then to weld some cover pieces and treat. If you got welding skills you could diy!
josh542 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh542 View Post
i have the same problem with my jeep now maybe even worse lol, i was lucky enough that my dads mechanic friend has a son thats been welding frames for awhile. He said he'd do mine for a good price so im gonna drive it back home this summer to get it done. Imo tho you could drive on it for awhile just dont go rockcrawling lol, keep away from offraoding mostly but it should be fine.

Also just search around your area and you should find a good price don't pay over a grand for sure but it shouldn't get to close to that anyway. The only work that needs doing is to cut back the rust around the spots then to weld some cover pieces and treat. If you got welding skills you could diy!
x2

RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC