Today I finished up my cowl intake to replace my K&N FIPK "cold air intake"
I decided to go with the Ford Windstar/Ranger route, here you can see it together.
The box is from a 4.0L Ranger out at my local junk yard, I shortened the back half of it that would normally contain a mass air flow sensor.
I just used some industrial strength super glue, a little plastic weld, and some permatex black silicone to seal up the chopped up back.
The 90 is something I found on amazon 4" to 3" reducer
By far the most expensive part of the build.
The rest of the intake is from the stock intake, Luckily I got the intake hose in a box-o-parts from the previous owner.
With the intake together I just took a good ole fashioned hole saw to the cowl, which was very nerve racking....
After cutting the first hole and seeing how the ford rubber head fit, I ended up drilling a second smaller hole and used a PCV Grommet to fill it. just for a little extra drainage in off chance I have water coming over the hood.
Being the paranoid type I also made a small flap for the cowl and plasti-welded it to the inside.
On the 97 Wrangler the cowl has 3 air inputs, the two outer inlets are mostly blocked off, I glued this flap to the passenger side just as a little extra rain proofing for the intake.
The whole intake went in really nicely. Only took me about half hour once I had all the pieces.