Gear and Pinion Rear differential problems - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
tcate23-WRANGLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 613
Gear and Pinion Rear differential problems

Hey guys,
Heard some clanking and whining from my rear differential. Opened it up and checked it out. I attached some pictures to understand better, but the bolts that hold the differential case to the ring somehow broke out to where several holes have have the bolt stuck in and I have no idea how to get them out. Any help is much appreciated.

__________________
Build thread or it didn't happen

This Guy's Build:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-dub-p-tj-1356900/
tcate23-WRANGLER is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
tcate23-WRANGLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 613
Bump

__________________
Build thread or it didn't happen

This Guy's Build:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-dub-p-tj-1356900/
tcate23-WRANGLER is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
tcate23-WRANGLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 613
Forgot the pictures.


__________________
Build thread or it didn't happen

This Guy's Build:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-dub-p-tj-1356900/
tcate23-WRANGLER is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
mike481's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 110
I don't see any attached pictures. Am I missing something?????
mike481 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Thomas302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern, NM
Posts: 304
You have to pull the carrier out and pull the ring gear off and then drill and ez out the bolt if it is stuck in there. Just keep track of where everything is when you take it apart including where the ring gear is on the carrier and put everything back where it was and it will go back together just fine.
__________________
Military Jeepers
Southern New Mexico
Sacramento Chapter
Thomas302 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
tcate23-WRANGLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike481 View Post
I don't see any attached pictures. Am I missing something?????
sorry they are there now i think, attached them late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas302 View Post
You have to pull the carrier out and pull the ring gear off and then drill and ez out the bolt if it is stuck in there. Just keep track of where everything is when you take it apart including where the ring gear is on the carrier and put everything back where it was and it will go back together just fine.
Ok i figured as much thank you. I removed the u shaped things from each side but can't get it off. What else do i need to remove?
__________________
Build thread or it didn't happen

This Guy's Build:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-dub-p-tj-1356900/
tcate23-WRANGLER is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcate23-WRANGLER View Post
sorry they are there now i think, attached them late.



Ok i figured as much thank you. I removed the u shaped things from each side but can't get it off. What else do i need to remove?
Don't get the case straps mixed up. They have to go back on the same side and in the same orientation that they came off. I'm not sure why, but I remember that when I took my D30 apart for a locker install. To get the case out, you'll have to persuade it with a small crow bar and tap it with a hammer. there's a few youtube videos out there going over locker installs that show that step.
__________________
Wheel. Break/Test. Repair/Upgrade. Repeat
BLK00TJ's YouTube Channel -- BLK00TJ's Build
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
amiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 350
Put the axle on jackstands. You are going to have to remove the spider gears, and c clips to remove the axle shafts from the carrier first. The carrier should pop out ofhehousing with a little persuasion after that. To remove the spider gears there is a small bolt in the carrier that holds the cross shaft in(8mm. IIRC). remove that and slide the cross shaft pin out. rotate the carrier and the spiders will come out. DON'T lose the thrust washers. next give a small push inward on the axle shaft. That will allow the c-clips a bit of room to be removed. Next, remove the side gears from inside the diff(keep them oriented the same way for going back in). should be some thrust washers behind them too(once again keep oriented correctly). pull axles out of the carrier. now pull the carrier and get to work on the ring gear bolts.
__________________
2005 TJ with a few goodies
amiller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
tcate23-WRANGLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiller View Post
Put the axle on jackstands. You are going to have to remove the spider gears, and c clips to remove the axle shafts from the carrier first. The carrier should pop out ofhehousing with a little persuasion after that. To remove the spider gears there is a small bolt in the carrier that holds the cross shaft in(8mm. IIRC). remove that and slide the cross shaft pin out. rotate the carrier and the spiders will come out. DON'T lose the thrust washers. next give a small push inward on the axle shaft. That will allow the c-clips a bit of room to be removed. Next, remove the side gears from inside the diff(keep them oriented the same way for going back in). should be some thrust washers behind them too(once again keep oriented correctly). pull axles out of the carrier. now pull the carrier and get to work on the ring gear bolts.
Do i need to take out the axle shafts? So from what I am understanding, i take off the c clips that are off in the picture and persuade the carrier out? Thanks everyone for the help trying to get it back on the rode asap
__________________
Build thread or it didn't happen

This Guy's Build:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-dub-p-tj-1356900/
tcate23-WRANGLER is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
amiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 350
You must remove the axle shafts or the carrier will NOT come out. you currently only have the carrier bearing straps off in the pictures. You need to go way further into the axle if you want to remove the carrier. See this link...http://www.outlawedoffroad.com/showt...mple-Write-up?
__________________
2005 TJ with a few goodies
amiller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Buz 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beaverdam, Ohio
Posts: 214
i wouldn't attempt without a fsm & a camera. take lots of shots.. not that much to it though..

__________________
'97 TJ, 2.5L 5sp


Buz 1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC