Having Trouble Finding a Idler Arm 2002 Wrangler X RHD - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today



Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-29-2016, 01:08 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5
Fragems is on a distinguished road
Having Trouble Finding a Idler Arm 2002 Wrangler X RHD

I'm a rural mail carrier with a 2002 Right Hand Drive Jeep Wrangler X. Had some repairs and an alignment done last week and was told I need a new Idler Arm. Problem is the Garage couldn't source the part and I'm having trouble finding it as well :P. Does anyone know of any sources for RHD parts. I've been able to find a few things from Crown Automotive like the pitman arm, but it doesn't really match up with what I have on there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000676.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	3386682  
Fragems is offline   Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #2
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
TexasT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 1,004
TexasT is on a distinguished road

__________________
1999 Sahara
4" Teraflex long arm lift. D30 tubed with chromoly axles, high pinion, powertrax no-slip and Warn Lockout Hubs. D35 w/ultimate 35 upgrade OX locker, 4.56 gears. NP231HD, Air on Board, Warn M8000 Winch.
TexasT is offline   Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Black Magic Brakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,866
Black Magic Brakes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragems View Post
I'm a rural mail carrier with a 2002 Right Hand Drive Jeep Wrangler X. Had some repairs and an alignment done last week and was told I need a new Idler Arm. Problem is the Garage couldn't source the part and I'm having trouble finding it as well :P. Does anyone know of any sources for RHD parts. I've been able to find a few things from Crown Automotive like the pitman arm, but it doesn't really match up with what I have on there.
If that is a picture of your rig, you have a very oddball beast on your hands.

It started life as a LHD and then was converted to RHD with a RHD steering gear and then a custom idler set up with a custom idler arm for the pitman to idler tie rod that also carries the LHD stock draglink.

The way you can tell is the trackbar is on the wrong side for RHD.

If the part you need is the idler and idler arm, you'll need to try and hunt down the conversion company and see what parts they used. The bracket that bolts the idler to the frame is custom as are the tube sleeves in the frame on the RH side which is now the driver's side.
__________________
I am Savvy, I am the brake Wizard.
Black Magic Brakes is offline   Quote
 
Old 01-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5
Fragems is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes View Post
If that is a picture of your rig, you have a very oddball beast on your hands.

It started life as a LHD and then was converted to RHD with a RHD steering gear and then a custom idler set up with a custom idler arm for the pitman to idler tie rod that also carries the LHD stock draglink.

The way you can tell is the trackbar is on the wrong side for RHD.

If the part you need is the idler and idler arm, you'll need to try and hunt down the conversion company and see what parts they used. The bracket that bolts the idler to the frame is custom as are the tube sleeves in the frame on the RH side which is now the driver's side.
This is supposedly a factory build not a conversion kit though and everything points to that being the case. Wish I had the manual to be 100% certain but someone stole or lost it before I became owner.

My postmaster has mentioned seeing these models being provided to some post offices though and I've seen the same models being used by the meter maids in the city I live next to so I highly doubt this is a conversion.
Fragems is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #5
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Black Magic Brakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,866
Black Magic Brakes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragems View Post
This is supposedly a factory build not a conversion kit though and everything points to that being the case. Wish I had the manual to be 100% certain but someone stole or lost it before I became owner.

My postmaster has mentioned seeing these models being provided to some post offices though and I've seen the same models being used by the meter maids in the city I live next to so I highly doubt this is a conversion.
Regardless of how they are perceived by your postmaster, I can think of no sound logic behind the factory using a rig with the trackbar on the left hand side frame mount and a steering gear on the right hand side with an idler when they make a complete RHD for export and mail service.

The OEM RHD is entirely different than what you have and based on what I recall of your pictures, about the only undercarriage part that they used is the steering gear. This is what a non converted RHD drive looks like. I've had a few shipped to me from the UK to install brakes on.



The dealer has a parts list for RHD vehicles and I've purchased a lot of them so if yours is in fact an OEM RHD and not an aftermarket conversion, they will have that idler assembly and I'll bet good money they don't.
__________________
I am Savvy, I am the brake Wizard.
Black Magic Brakes is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 182
Blort is on a distinguished road
I own a factory built RHD TJ and can confirm that your steering is not OEM. Listen to Mr Blaine as he is a Jeep guru unlike the postal worker you mentioned.
Blort is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:54 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5
Fragems is on a distinguished road
Hm that is weird. Thing that threw me off is my radiator required the RHD version when I had it replaced, the shifter is setup properly for RHD, and pretty much everything else is as well :P.

Maybe they just pulled something really funky though. I mean I do have odd stuff like my heating system is an old fashioned pull nob as opposed to a modern switch.

Thing that blows is it was sold to me as a factory build not a conversion so I had a fast one pulled on me I guess :P.

Anyways I'll take some more pictures tomorrow if you all want to help me figure out wth they did exactly :P.

Any tips on where I should even begin looking for info on possible conversion kits or is there any way to replace the kit with another kit or modification?
Fragems is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #8
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Black Magic Brakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,866
Black Magic Brakes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragems View Post
Hm that is weird. Thing that threw me off is my radiator required the RHD version when I had it replaced, the shifter is setup properly for RHD, and pretty much everything else is as well :P.
The RHD rigs I've been in haven't had anything noticeably different about the shifter that would point to R or L hand drive and they are typically set up ambidextrous in that they are in the center of the vehicle. If you look at a TJ dash, you will notice that the two modules on either side of the center bezel are the same size so that the same dash pieces can be used for both to limit the number of side specific parts.

I suspect without having dug into it too much that the RHD radiator is different due to the steering shaft and steering gear being on the other side. That would hold true if you had a converted to RHD or a RHD from the factory because there is only so much space to sneak the shaft through.

Quote:
Maybe they just pulled something really funky though. I mean I do have odd stuff like my heating system is an old fashioned pull nob as opposed to a modern switch.

Thing that blows is it was sold to me as a factory build not a conversion so I had a fast one pulled on me I guess :P.

Anyways I'll take some more pictures tomorrow if you all want to help me figure out wth they did exactly :P.

Any tips on where I should even begin looking for info on possible conversion kits or is there any way to replace the kit with another kit or modification?
I would do a search for RHD conversion companies and start calling them to see how they set up the steering on their Wrangler Conversions. One of them is sure to be using that idler with a double hole pitman, which by the way is another clue it isn't OEM. Both of your pitman arms are flat which was never done on the OEM TJ in any model.
__________________
I am Savvy, I am the brake Wizard.
Black Magic Brakes is offline   Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
68charger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 47
68charger is on a distinguished road
From looking at your original picture The idler arm and pitman arms look like they used very basic construction. I bet if you took that idler arm apart you would find some standard size brass bushings. Any shop could press in new ones. may need to be honed to size but should be easy
68charger is offline   Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:26 PM
Thread Starter
  #10
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5
Fragems is on a distinguished road
Problem solved. First garage just didn't know what they were doing . Got a bad shake in my suspension again, but luckily was by the place I usually get my tires from. Apparently the Firestone didn't tighten the parts they installed properly and everything they had listed as in need of repair was fine. Needless to say I won't be going there again :P.
Fragems is offline   Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,841
Digger84 is on a distinguished road
Put you vin into jeep website get the build sheet (free and instant)and see if it really was rhd as original

I bet Blane is correct but always nice to have the build sheet anyway


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Digger84 is offline   Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:29 AM
Thread Starter
  #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5
Fragems is on a distinguished road
Yeah it was LHD originally according to the vin.
Fragems is offline   Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,841
Digger84 is on a distinguished road
How bad is the bump steer especially when bum on just one front tire with the cross ways track bar vs drag link


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Digger84 is offline   Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #14
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Black Magic Brakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,866
Black Magic Brakes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger84 View Post
How bad is the bump steer especially when bum on just one front tire with the cross ways track bar vs drag link


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Whoever did the conversion knew what they were doing. The draglink and trackbar line up well enough that the bumpsteer should be minimal to not noticeable.
__________________
I am Savvy, I am the brake Wizard.
Black Magic Brakes is offline   Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #15
AOR
Supporting Vendor

WF Supporting Member
 
AOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mount Aukum, CA - El Dorado County about 55 mins from the Rubicon Trail
Posts: 4,310
AOR is on a distinguished road
Overland Motorsports has done a LHD to RHD conversion on a JK. In the image below, you can see the linkage looks very similar to yours. Try giving them a call and shoot them an email with images.

Link to write up.

Marc
Overland Motorsports
505-850-3079

__________________
Allen's Offroad - 530-620-1100
Email me at: sales@allensoffroad.com

FREE SHIPPING on orders of $99.99 or more. Live Coupon Codes Here!

https://www.allensoffroad.com
AOR is offline   Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #16
AOR
Supporting Vendor

WF Supporting Member
 
AOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mount Aukum, CA - El Dorado County about 55 mins from the Rubicon Trail
Posts: 4,310
AOR is on a distinguished road
Postal Things sells kits for conversion. Maybe they can help.

Vehicle List

__________________
Allen's Offroad - 530-620-1100
Email me at: sales@allensoffroad.com

FREE SHIPPING on orders of $99.99 or more. Live Coupon Codes Here!

https://www.allensoffroad.com
AOR is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC
« Back

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner