Headlight Fog light upgrade advice - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
mikemounlio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 697
Headlight Fog light upgrade advice

Now that its the time of year that i go to and from work in the dark i want more light.

I saw a post a bit ago about a headlight mod and liked the sound of it. Please if you would list a few optins for me to lok into for the headlight mod and an option or two for the factory fog lights.


Thanks guys.

__________________
04 Rubi 5 speed RE4.5 LA 37 BFG 4.88 Chromoly Axles HD Clutch Cage Currie HD Steering PSC HD Gear Box Viair HD OBA Armor ARB Diff Covers Tube Fenders OR-FAB Carrier SuperWinch K&N MagnaFlow Rhino Lined and i find more daily
BUILT and READY
mikemounlio is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Atthehop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW, NJ
Posts: 3,824
Are you running stock sealed beam headlights. If so just upgrading to Silverstars is a cheap alternative.

__________________
Retired my 94 YJ 4cyl 5spd @ 200K
Now in a 04 TJ 4cyl 5spd CV @120K+
Both as a commuter vehicle in NW, NJ
April 2012.downsized and now a 99er.
Atthehop is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
dolson60174's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 188
I did the truck lite headlight conversion...what a difference!!!!!
__________________
-It's not how far you go, it's how go you far.
-Dave Marschack

●|||||● Jeep on!

dolson60174 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
JK-linux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North Star State
Posts: 333
Trucklites!. Best thing I've done for myself in years.
__________________
2013 JK Unlimited Sahara Flame Red
JK-linux is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
MosesTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: jackson, ga
Posts: 1,299
I bought some LED fogs and man they are amazing. $45 for both on amazon.
MosesTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosesTJ View Post
I bought some LED fogs and man they are amazing. $45 for both on amazon.
Pics?
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
MosesTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: jackson, ga
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSixTJ View Post
Pics?
this is just the 27w LED fogs! 30 degree beam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-532282375.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	496490   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3747393096.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	496498  

MosesTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 274
Were all oem fog lights Hellas or are mine different being an LJ?
05LJTampa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosesTJ View Post
this is just the 27w LED fogs! 30 degree beam.
Nice. What do the lights look like? Or do you have a name or link to them?
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LJTampa View Post
Were all oem fog lights Hellas or are mine different being an LJ?
Mine say hella.
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSixTJ View Post

Mine say hella.
Ok thanks. I dont use mine much so I'll probably just stick with them and maybe just swap bulbs
05LJTampa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LJTampa View Post
Ok thanks. I dont use mine much so I'll probably just stick with them and maybe just swap bulbs
We don't have a fog problem down here in Deep South Texas. I usually just turn them on for looks. Yeah I just went there haha
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
MosesTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: jackson, ga
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSixTJ View Post
Nice. What do the lights look like? Or do you have a name or link to them?
not bad really.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4224552240.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	498522   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3693288754.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	498530  

MosesTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
MichTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southeast MI
Posts: 75
OP, Hella E-code headlamps and H4 bulbs are a great upgrade.
__________________
________
|»»l,[____],
l---L -OlllllllOČ
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
MichTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosesTJ View Post
not bad really.
Those are pretty nice
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
MosesTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: jackson, ga
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSixTJ View Post
Those are pretty nice
F-ck yeah for $23ea.
MosesTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-10-2013, 04:07 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 425
Here's my prescription for maximum performance lighting that looks bone stock but can be had for only about $150 total:

1) Upgrade the stock Jeep wiring with three relays and heavy wires. I feed each pair of 100w lights with a 10 gauge fused wire directly from the battery and each filament gets a 12 gauge wire and 12 gauge ground, ensuring maximum brightness. Stock headlight wiring is 18 gauge and stock foglight wiring is 20 gauge, and all of the current flows through the headlight switch with no relays - and you don't want to damage that switch.



2) Replace the headlights with Cibie H4 reflectors and Narva 80/100w H4 bulbs. The 100w high beams are tremendous. I use a pair of relays operated by some male spade lugs inserted into the original headlight connector - the original wiring is intact.

3) Upgrade the stock foglights with 100w H3 bulbs. In this case I used Sylvania bulbs from the auto store, Sylvania is owned by Osram. The lenses get warm with 100w but the plastic housings are OK - the beam pattern on the stock fogs is excellant. If it is present, you will need to trim off the small square tab on the 100w bulb to fit the 55w socket - I used a Dremel cutoff wheel but there are other methods. Once again I inserted a spade lug in the original foglight connector to pull the relay.

4) Bend over or cut off pin 1 on the stock foglight relay - this relay forces the foglights off when the high beams are on - bending pin one and replacing the relay allows complete driver control via the foglight switch.

5) Remove the foglights and note there is a second square hole in the bumper forcing the aim to be straight ahead. Cut or file off the tab on the lamp mount that goes in the square hole. Now re-mount the lights and this time aim them about 20 degrees outwards from straight ahead - you just got a field of view 40 degrees wider at night, with some foglight pattern overlap still remaining in the center.

This prescription gives incredible lighting performance with no visible differences from stock to attract the attention of theives while parked or law enforcement when in use.

For offroad use, I use a combination of 100w high beam headlights and 100w foglights - really bright and light everywhere. Around town you use the 55w low beams with the option of foglights on or off.
__________________
Gary
1967 Kaiser Commando
2001 Grand Cherokee WJ
2003 Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserJeep View Post
Here's my prescription for maximum performance lighting that looks bone stock but can be had for only about $150 total:

1) Upgrade the stock Jeep wiring with three relays and heavy wires. I feed each pair of 100w lights with a 10 gauge fused wire directly from the battery and each filament gets a 12 gauge wire and 12 gauge ground, ensuring maximum brightness. Stock headlight wiring is 18 gauge and stock foglight wiring is 20 gauge, and all of the current flows through the headlight switch with no relays - and you don't want to damage that switch.

2) Replace the headlights with Cibie H4 reflectors and Narva 80/100w H4 bulbs. The 100w high beams are tremendous. I use a pair of relays operated by some male spade lugs inserted into the original headlight connector - the original wiring is intact.

3) Upgrade the stock foglights with 100w H3 bulbs. In this case I used Sylvania bulbs from the auto store, Sylvania is owned by Osram. The lenses get warm with 100w but the plastic housings are OK - the beam pattern on the stock fogs is excellant. If it is present, you will need to trim off the small square tab on the 100w bulb to fit the 55w socket - I used a Dremel cutoff wheel but there are other methods. Once again I inserted a spade lug in the original foglight connector to pull the relay.

4) Bend over or cut off pin 1 on the stock foglight relay - this relay forces the foglights off when the high beams are on - bending pin one and replacing the relay allows complete driver control via the foglight switch.

5) Remove the foglights and note there is a second square hole in the bumper forcing the aim to be straight ahead. Cut or file off the tab on the lamp mount that goes in the square hole. Now re-mount the lights and this time aim them about 20 degrees outwards from straight ahead - you just got a field of view 40 degrees wider at night, with some foglight pattern overlap still remaining in the center.

This prescription gives incredible lighting performance with no visible differences from stock to attract the attention of theives while parked or law enforcement when in use.

For offroad use, I use a combination of 100w high beam headlights and 100w foglights - really bright and light everywhere. Around town you use the 55w low beams with the option of foglights on or off.
How can all this be had for $150 total when the cibie housing are $76 each? H4 conversion going cibie, narva and new harness had me priced around $250
05LJTampa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 425
Sorry, I copied an old post - I paid $92 for a pair of Cibie reflectors in 2004, $8 each for H4 80/100w bulbs, and $4 for 100w H3 bulbs, the rest was relays/sockets.

__________________
Gary
1967 Kaiser Commando
2001 Grand Cherokee WJ
2003 Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.



Jeep«, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC