How hot can shocks get? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today

Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on
Old 06-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
BigMontana's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 49
How hot can shocks get?

I figured out what the burnt smell was 3/4 of the way up a very rocky class 3 (on a 5 scale). It was my new ish $130 a piece single tube off road shocks. (I forgot the brand, but I remember not getting ripped off because I couldn't find them any cheaper than my 4x4 shop - I'm just saying this to establish quality).

So I stopped a few times to let them cool off on the rest of the run, my question is how hot is too hot for shocks, (I could still touch them - back of the hand of course) and would you assume the sort of burnt smell to be just a regular break in thing (eg - I wouldn't have damaged them)?

BigMontana is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 38,508
I've had a couple different sets of monotube shocks and they have never gotten so hot that I noticed them. That's surprising yours got so hot you could smell them, though I do of course know shocks can and do get hot in the right conditions.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
snwchris's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,718
Hmm interesting, I don't think I've ever seen a shock body get too hot to produce a burnt smell. Usually the only thing like that to me would be clutch or brake pads produce a burnt smell.

Do the shocks look discolored at all.... or still a lingering smell of burnt fluid....
98TJ / Hi-Lined / Zip Lockers / 35s

Family Rig / Tow Rig: 08 Tundra & 16ft Trailer
snwchris is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
jgorm's Avatar
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,924
It's common for shocks to get too hot to touch with your finger if you are working the shocks hard. If they are brand new, there was probably some oil on the outside that cooked off. If you could hold the back of your hand on them there is no need to let them cool at all.
my 06 LJ rubicon
2.5" SL, 1" BL, DIY highline, 35s with double beadlocks.
jgorm is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
BigMontana's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 49
I'm kind of assuming that was the smell, because it went away after I let them cool down...but no lingering smell. And I couldn't hold my hand on them, but I could for a few seconds...guess I'm not all that worried about it so long as I didn't damage them. Also thanks for the advice on future runs, I think I'll just keep using them as I have.

I was on a bit of a time restriction on this run, so I skipped a few things I would have normally gotten out to look at.
BigMontana is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 768
hmm first time ive heard of this and i live in the mountains. i guess u learn something new everyday. i did smell something burning the other day i just assumed it was radiator fluid or whatever is leaking on my jeep burning maybe it was the shocks

made in the USA is offline   Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC. is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC