How often do you guys change your oil? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Stubborn but Docile

WF Supporting Member
 
elite56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 788
How often do you guys change your oil?

I know someone here has to have the same predicament as me. I've always used synthetic oil and changed it every 5000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first.
My issue is that my jeep isn't my DD and I don't put very many miles on it. I only use it as a weekend commuter in my area and wheeling. Just to give you guys an idea on how many miles I put on it. It's been a little under a month and a half since I last changed my oil and I've only put 350 miles on it. Now I don't want to have to change the oil at 700 miles when the 3 month mark hits. If I did that I would have put less than 20% of the amount of recommended miles between changes on it.
My question is, how often should I change my oil under these circumstances?
I've heard some people say 6 months, some say 3 months, some say 3000 miles, and some say 5000 miles.
What do you guys think?

elite56 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,500
Every 3k on 5-30 or 10-30 conventional.

__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lafayette Hill, PA
Posts: 1,450
My rig is a third vehicle that I only drive approximately 2000 miles per year. I change the oil twice a year, November and May.
Big Cole is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Jacksonville,Florida
Posts: 457
Conventional Oil Here & mostly in town driving every 3000 miles = about 4 months or so between changes.
gmiller0737 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
dbsanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 155
I'm like Big Cole above, only about 1500 miles a year. Does oil degrade just by sitting? How important is time interval without miles?
dbsanders is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Big Sarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chester Virginia
Posts: 2,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsanders View Post
I'm like Big Cole above, only about 1500 miles a year. Does oil degrade just by sitting? How important is time interval without miles?
Those are the tricky ones. The oil itself may not degraded but the heating and cooling from ambient temp changes can cause condensation build up making it just as needed to change oil. I agree with big cole twice a year.
__________________
click the link below to view my Custom Jeep shifters, pool ball shifters. College Teams now available
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f37/custom-camo-pool-ball-shifters-224388.html

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Big Sarge is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
Stubborn but Docile

WF Supporting Member
 
elite56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post

Those are the tricky ones. The oil itself may not degraded but the heating and cooling from ambient temp changes can cause condensation build up making it just as needed to change oil. I agree with big cole twice a year.
What about if the jeep is used every weekend? I use my jeep weekly and they're not all short trips. Usually they're 60 minute round trip. Isn't the condensation amount a lot less when the engine is run for a longer trip that allows it to get up to normal operating temperatures?
elite56 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
fjul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 25
I would say every 4K or 4 months....Important to get the Jeep up to operating temp at least once a week to get rid of condensation with the outside temp changes.
fjul is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Philmycrackin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: chicago burbs
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cole View Post
My rig is a third vehicle that I only drive approximately 2000 miles per year. I change the oil twice a year, November and May.
I do the same
__________________
"And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you!"
Philmycrackin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
TrailbossNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a house...
Posts: 403
Yea, that "Every 3 Months or 3000 Miles" philosophy was born at a time when cars were not quite as advanced as they are now IMO. I haven't followed that for years. I put the standard 12-15,000 Miles on my vehicles these days and I went to a 4-5 Month/4500-5000 Miles method. Oil is usually pretty clean and I have had no noticeable backlash from it. Oils are improved and more advanced. Engines are improved and more advanced. If my Jeep were not my DD, I would follow the method above and change it twice a year, whether it needed it or not. Now if I go through some deep water on a trail, or drive in some deep, post rain storm submerged roads and got everything all wet...I check/change *everything* as soon as it dries. Better safe then sorry...plus I enjoy doing it. One good thing about doing it regularly is that it makes you pop the hood and get down underneath and really get a chance to take a look at the vehicle and see what's going on....kinda forces you to do it, really.
__________________
An educated, armed populace cannot be enslaved.
TrailbossNJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Shelby427's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lakeland FL and Hooversville PA
Posts: 2,098
Me I'm old school, 3/3000 Dino religiously. I figure it's just cheap insurance.
Worked for me for 40 years now, and growing up on a farm you were taught to take care of your equipment or boy did you take some doo doo when something broke.

And me, I love crawling over/under my stuff, could be why folks paid me to do it for 38 years.
__________________
97 Sahara, 74 Renegade, 72 CJ5, 55 Willy's (the Beast) Boss 302, 6:34 gearing, Bose 901 speakers.
God I miss that Jeep. Forgot the kinda Jeep, 80 SX4.
Shelby427 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
freeskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 2,457
I'll echo what's been said. I only put a couple thousand miles a year in the Jeep and change the oil/filter twice a year (start of winter and start of summer). Probably excessive for so few miles, but oil is cheap and there's no such thing as changing it to often.
__________________
CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
wwch99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 4,691
Every 4k miles works out to about every 3-4 months...
wwch99tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
doclouie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the mountains.
Posts: 3,653
Images: 4
Get your oil analyzed and let them tell you when you should get it changed. I found that with dino oil it needed to be done ever 3000 miles, but with a semi-synthetic I can go 5000 miles and still be good.
__________________
2000 Sahara, 3.5" Rubicon Express Lift, 1" spring spacer & 1" Body Lift, 33" or 35" BFG Mud tires, Front & Rear ARB, Rancho 9000 shocks, UCF Ultra High Belly Up

doclouie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
tbensor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite56 View Post
I know someone here has to have the same predicament as me. I've always used synthetic oil and changed it every 5000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. My issue is that my jeep isn't my DD and I don't put very many miles on it. I only use it as a weekend commuter in my area and wheeling. Just to give you guys an idea on how many miles I put on it. It's been a little under a month and a half since I last changed my oil and I've only put 350 miles on it. Now I don't want to have to change the oil at 700 miles when the 3 month mark hits. If I did that I would have put less than 20% of the amount of recommended miles between changes on it. My question is, how often should I change my oil under these circumstances? I've heard some people say 6 months, some say 3 months, some say 3000 miles, and some say 5000 miles. What do you guys think?
i don't believe month will kill the oil life if you don't put 3k on it. I am in the same boat and make sure to do it yearly if I don't hit 3k.
__________________
My Toys
2003 RED Jeep Wrangler X - Can't stop adding stuff and updating.
2014 White Jeep Liberty Sport
2011 Carbon Black GMC Yukon Denali
2007 Black GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Laredo 284BHS TT
tbensor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Owen_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,738
every 3 or 4k...sometimes i hit 5 but only if i forget
Owen_TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #17
Stubborn but Docile

WF Supporting Member
 
elite56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclouie View Post
Get your oil analyzed and let them tell you when you should get it changed. I found that with dino oil it needed to be done ever 3000 miles, but with a semi-synthetic I can go 5000 miles and still be good.
This is what I'm leaning towards doing. I think I'm going to wait 6 months this time and get it analyzed after that time period to know if it needs to be done earlier or if it can wait even longer.
The mileage doesn't really apply to me because as I said before, right now I'm on pace for only 2,800 miles a year. Which means if I were to follow the mileage recommend between oil changes using synthetic I would only have to change it once every 1.79 years. Obviously I'm not going to wait that long but you see my point. Thanks for the input everyone!
elite56 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,820
Depends what vehicle.My Mustang,once a year.Prob put 3k on it a year.My DD (XJ) ,every 10k,my TJ every 7500 or so,or whenever I remember..All using synth.
1jeeplvr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 30,852
Images: 2
I change my engine oil every 5K miles & firmly believe that doing so every 3K miles with today's oils is a waste of $$$. I believe that the Jiffylubes of the world started & push the 3k mile oil change interval because they make almost twice as much $$$ from those who believe that recommendation. And in 50 years of driving, I've never had an engine failure.... and with nothing but good quality conventional engine oil too.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #20
Stubborn but Docile

WF Supporting Member
 
elite56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I change my engine oil every 5K miles & firmly believe that doing so every 3K miles with today's oils is a waste of $$$. I believe that the Jiffylubes of the world started & push the 3k mile oil change interval because they make almost twice as much $$$ from those who believe that recommendation. And in 50 years of driving, I've never had an engine failure.... and with nothing but good quality conventional engine oil too.
Do you change it every 5k no matter the amount of time you have on that individual change? Is your jeep your DD?
elite56 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 30,852
Images: 2
My TJ is no longer a daily driver but it still gets driven at least several times a week.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #22
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I change my engine oil every 5K miles & firmly believe that doing so every 3K miles with today's oils is a waste of $$$. I believe that the Jiffylubes of the world started & push the 3k mile oil change interval because they make almost twice as much $$$ from those who believe that recommendation. And in 50 years of driving, I've never had an engine failure.... and with nothing but good quality conventional engine oil too.
Yup.I know people who overdue it.Even with synth there doing 5k oil changes.Someone who is good about changing there oil can def get by with conventional oil.And really,do we need an entire wall at the parts store full of different types of engine oil?? Its a money making scheme.
1jeeplvr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
dbsanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I change my engine oil every 5K miles & firmly believe that doing so every 3K miles with today's oils is a waste of $$$. I believe that the Jiffylubes of the world started & push the 3k mile oil change interval because they make almost twice as much $$$ from those who believe that recommendation. And in 50 years of driving, I've never had an engine failure.... and with nothing but good quality conventional engine oil too.
That drives me crazy when JiffyLube recommends 3k, even when many manufacturers recommend 5k or more these days. Such an obvious money-grabbing scheme to pray on less knowledgeable people. When I did use them in the past, the first thing I did was remove that stupid windshield sticker they apply with the +3k mileage written on it. "No thanks, I'll change the oil by the schedule the manufacturer recommends".

Not to mention it takes 45 minutes because they insist on opening your air filter, cabin air filter, and everything thing else they can convince people to buy when it's the slightest bit dirty.
dbsanders is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
VTBalla34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsanders View Post

That drives me crazy when JiffyLube recommends 3k, even when many manufacturers recommend 5k or more these days. Such an obvious money-grabbing scheme to pray on less knowledgeable people. When I did use them in the past, the first thing I did was remove that stupid windshield sticker they apply with the +3k mileage written on it. "No thanks, I'll change the oil by the schedule the manufacturer recommends".

Not to mention it takes 45 minutes because they insist on opening your air filter, cabin air filter, and everything thing else they can convince people to buy when it's the slightest bit dirty.
Jiffy Lube is bad but the stealership is 10x worse. I had an 06 Impala before I bought my rig that had the built-in engine oil replacement counter in it. The owners manual tells you to follow that since it is calculating heat, RPM, sediment, etc.

I had my car in for service under a free service bulletin for something and they recommended an oil change since it had been more than 3k miles since my last one.

This was a Chevy service center telling me something completely contradictory to what is in the Chevy owners manual.

Its a damn racket man...
VTBalla34 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #25
Stubborn but Docile

WF Supporting Member
 
elite56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr View Post

Yup.I know people who overdue it.Even with synth there doing 5k oil changes.Someone who is good about changing there oil can def get by with conventional oil.And really,do we need an entire wall at the parts store full of different types of engine oil?? Its a money making scheme.
Well I personally purchase synthetic oil because I buy into the whole benefit of it. From what I've read about it synthetic has an increased longevity and can reduce friction in the engine. I'd much rather spend a couple extra bucks if it increases the life of my engine.
elite56 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #26
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite56 View Post
Well I personally purchase synthetic oil because I buy into the whole benefit of it. From what I've read about it synthetic has an increased longevity and can reduce friction in the engine. I'd much rather spend a couple extra bucks if it increases the life of my engine.
I do synthetic also but I think regurally changed conv is fine.Years ago people didnt use synth like they do today .
1jeeplvr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
NC Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,246
I do 3k on my TJ, but only because I use dino oil. My (state issued) Charger goes 6k. My wife's CR-V goes until it tells us to change it, each time it was about 12,500 miles. I like the 5k plan for everything but dino's.
__________________
97 Jeep TJ, the only hole she can't climb out of is DEBT.




NC Bear is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #28
Stubborn but Docile

WF Supporting Member
 
elite56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr View Post

I do synthetic also but I think regurally changed conv is fine.Years ago people didnt use synth like they do today .
Oh ya non synthetic works well too I'm sure, no argument there. I know when synthetic first started getting out on the shelves years ago they had issues with it. It's just been perfected over the years.
elite56 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #29
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite56 View Post
Oh ya non synthetic works well too I'm sure, no argument there. I know when synthetic first started getting out on the shelves years ago they had issues with it. It's just been perfected over the years.
Remember the myth about not being able to switch back & forth from synth to conv & vice versa??
1jeeplvr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
MarkGLHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ellington, Connecticut
Posts: 1,064
on the time interval issue, it also depends on how your vehicle is "stored/parked".

for those of us who put less than 3,000 miles a year on our jeeps and are also lucky enough to have our jeeps in temperature-steady dry garages every day and night, that 3month change interval can be ignored for the most part.

I change every 3,000 miles and ignore the time interval.

__________________
2002 Wrangler Sahara, all stock, 5-speed, Dana 44, duel tan tops, 2nd owner.

2008 Hemi Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4, Quadradrive II, original owner, 22,000 miles.
MarkGLHS is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC