How to drain fuel from tank - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
saf98tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 141
How to drain fuel from tank

Hi
I was under the jeep and realized that I have a big ass dent in the drivers side front corner. It is a bit creased so I am not sure I can just pound it out. I want to drop the tank but do not want to waste the gas driving around. I read in the factory service manual that you can attach a hose to the test port and use a DRB scanner to run the fuel pump to drain the tank. I don't have a DRB scanner nor the "special test hose" so is there another way to do this?

Thanks
Scot
Thanks

saf98tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,602
If you have a test port, you can remove the valve core (or rig something to depress the valve stem) and just clamp a piece of 5/16" hose (more or less) to the port. Then jumper the fuel pump relay and pump away.

tangofox007 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Full Spool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Calhan, Colorado
Posts: 662
Pull the cap off your fuel injector rail and run a hose to some gas cans.
Full Spool is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Full Size Jeep Dr.

WF Supporting Member
 
lindel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The land of Salted Iron
Posts: 2,011
Quickest way I've found is to drive.
__________________
His: 1999 Flame Red TJ, With a few mods...

Hers: 1987 Grand Wagoneer, stock w/Falken Wildpeak ATs
lindel is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Spool View Post
Pull the cap off your fuel injector rail and run a hose to some gas cans.
How much fuel comes out of your injector rail when you "pull" the cap off?
tangofox007 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Full Spool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Calhan, Colorado
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
How much fuel comes out of your injector rail when you "pull" the cap off?
Enough to drain the tank in 5 minutes.
Full Spool is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
obidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 1,527
is the dent really so important your willing to do all this extravagant stuff to drain the tank to do it now? I vote wait a couple days till its low..

or

drain it after you drop it. Dropping a full tanks not that much worse than an empty. its getting it back on thats the real pita. Drop it and empty it into a rubbermaid tub through the filler
(Ive had mine off 3 times in the last month)
__________________
Black 97 Sahara 4.0L 5 Speed - Fully Cloak'd
1.75" BL with 35"x12.5" Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar 10k Engo winch
obidya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
saf98tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by obidya
is the dent really so important your willing to do all this extravagant stuff to drain the tank to do it now? I vote wait a couple days till its low..

or

drain it after you drop it. Dropping a full tanks not that much worse than an empty. its getting it back on thats the real pita. Drop it and empty it into a rubbermaid tub through the filler
(Ive had mine off 3 times in the last month)
Thanks. I vote for having the option of draining it when I have time and not having to wait until emptying the tank. I don't see how what I am asking is extravagant.

Having not done it before I would prefer to not have all of that the extra weight in the tank. A half a tank is nearly 55 lbs.
.
saf98tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
obidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by saf98tj View Post
Thanks. I vote for having the option of draining it when I have time and not having to wait until emptying the tank. I don't see how what I am asking is extravagant.

Having not done it before I would prefer to not have all of that the extra weight in the tank. A half a tank is nearly 55 lbs.
.
fair enough.. Ive had pretty good luck with cheepo syphon pumps. you can get them at walmart or menards, may take a couple min but its really not bad

since its your first time....
The tank has 7 bolts holding it up, there are two creases along the bumper side with bolts inside them. the bolts inside those divots are to the gas tank straps and you do not need to loosen or remove them to drop the tank. the tank is strapped to the skid plate and the skid plate mounted to the jeep.
The easiest approach is...

1) remove the filler neck plate from the side of your jeep. should be 8 philips head screws 4 to the actual filler neck and 4 to the rear quarter panel.

2) push the filler neck directly back so that when the tank comes down it wont snag on the inside of that fender wall.

3) use a 2x4 or other plank of wood to distribute the weight of the skid plate evenly and jack to the center of the board under the center of the skid plate.
dont be afraid to put a little pressure on it to keep the tank in place when the bolts start coming loose.

4) remove the 4 outer nuts first, avoiding the two for the tank straps (you'll want the inner bolts in for step

** note: the 7 bolts holding the skid plate up are carriage bolts drop fed from above so be sure not to push up on them too hard or you knock them loose and have a whole lot of fun on your hands

5) let the tank down a few inches, just enough to get to the fuel line coming off the top of the pump assembly, its a pretty tight fit so you don't want the tank to fall too much and damage the clips connecting that to the fuel pressure regulator.

6) jack the tank back up to snug and remove the rear 3 nuts and your ready to slide the tank out. There are two other vent lines that just slide over some plastic fittings one on each side of the tank, pull them off before dropping as well.

** note: pull the tank towards the bumper as you let it down the back of the skid can get hung up on the rear axle and other things.

getting it back in is pretty simple, line up the inner side first jack it back into place.

depending on how old your fuel assembly and tank are. You may want to pull it off and do some simple preventative maintenance replace the bottom screen and check the tank for sediment. all that fun stuff. If you have the tank off already you minaswell

know that if the tank straps or skid plate look bad enough to replace its not likely you'll find anything local so order what you might need before you start the job.
__________________
Black 97 Sahara 4.0L 5 Speed - Fully Cloak'd
1.75" BL with 35"x12.5" Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar 10k Engo winch
obidya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
obidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 1,527
if I remember correctly.. the nuts are 13mm ... but I cant remember if those were the original or my new ones. My skid plate was in really bad shape and i ended up having to cut 2 of the 3 remaining bolts off


on the bumper side the two big bolt holes were for the tank straps, don't break those loose unless you want to replace those straps. they break easily
__________________
Black 97 Sahara 4.0L 5 Speed - Fully Cloak'd
1.75" BL with 35"x12.5" Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar 10k Engo winch
obidya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
saf98tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by obidya

fair enough.. Ive had pretty good luck with cheepo syphon pumps. you can get them at walmart or menards, may take a couple min but its really not bad

since its your first time....
The tank has 7 bolts holding it up, there are two creases along the bumper side with bolts inside them. the bolts inside those divots are to the gas tank straps and you do not need to loosen or remove them to drop the tank. the tank is strapped to the skid plate and the skid plate mounted to the jeep.
The easiest approach is...

1) remove the filler neck plate from the side of your jeep. should be 8 philips head screws 4 to the actual filler neck and 4 to the rear quarter panel.

2) push the filler neck directly back so that when the tank comes down it wont snag on the inside of that fender wall.

3) use a 2x4 or other plank of wood to distribute the weight of the skid plate evenly and jack to the center of the board under the center of the skid plate.
dont be afraid to put a little pressure on it to keep the tank in place when the bolts start coming loose.

4) remove the 4 outer nuts first, avoiding the two for the tank straps (you'll want the inner bolts in for step 5)

** note: the 7 bolts holding the skid plate up are carriage bolts drop fed from above so be sure not to push up on them too hard or you knock them loose and have a whole lot of fun on your hands

5) let the tank down a few inches, just enough to get to the fuel line coming off the top of the pump assembly, its a pretty tight fit so you don't want the tank to fall too much and damage the clips connecting that to the fuel pressure regulator.

6) jack the tank back up to snug and remove the rear 3 nuts and your ready to slide the tank out. There are two other vent lines that just slide over some plastic fittings one on each side of the tank, pull them off before dropping as well.

** note: pull the tank towards the bumper as you let it down the back of the skid can get hung up on the rear axle and other things.

getting it back in is pretty simple, line up the inner side first jack it back into place.

depending on how old your fuel assembly and tank are. You may want to pull it off and do some simple preventative maintenance replace the bottom screen and check the tank for sediment. all that fun stuff. If you have the tank off already you minaswell

know that if the tank straps or skid plate look bad enough to replace its not likely you'll find anything local so order what you might need before you start the job.
Thank you. This is a great writeup! My skid is trashed. I am planning on replacing it with something more worthy. I am also looking for a good used tank as I am concerned the tank will rupture when popping out the dent. It looks like it is nearly folded over. I first thought of using a siphon pump, however it is my understanding that TJs have an anti siphon device and you can't get a tube down the filler tube. That is why I was looking for another method.
saf98tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by obidya View Post
fair enough.. Ive had pretty good luck with cheepo syphon pumps. you can get them at walmart or menards, may take a couple min but its really not bad
I am going to venture that you have never tried to siphon gas from a TJ tank. Or an XJ. Or any of a number of other J's.

Fair enough?
tangofox007 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
obidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by saf98tj View Post
it is my understanding that TJs have an anti siphon device and you can't get a tube down the filler tube. That is why I was looking for another method.
I replaced my filler tube when I did mine and I saw no such thing its a 97.. not so say its not there... I did have a pretty nasty cold and spent the afternoon unintentionally huffing gas lol
But I dont believe it has one another thing you could do... since your dropping the tank, pull off the filler neck and syphon through the vent hose. in case there is a valve in the fill hose.


this is the skid plate I replaced mine with. Its awesome and fit really nicely, plus the 1" tuck is nice


ebay listing
gas tank skid plate

here is their website
www.extrememetalproducts.com
__________________
Black 97 Sahara 4.0L 5 Speed - Fully Cloak'd
1.75" BL with 35"x12.5" Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar 10k Engo winch
obidya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
obidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
I am going to venture that you have never tried to siphon gas from a TJ tank. Or an XJ. Or any of a number of other J's.

Fair enough?
TJ and ZJ never an XJ, and some neighbor of mine helped themselves to a tank of mine about a month after i first bought it.

if you guys are talking about the flap in the filler neck, just take an old soda bottle or pvc pipe to move it out of the way and feed the syphon hose down. theres nothing in the gas tank or the filler hose that I know of.
__________________
Black 97 Sahara 4.0L 5 Speed - Fully Cloak'd
1.75" BL with 35"x12.5" Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar 10k Engo winch
obidya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
saf98tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by obidya

TJ and ZJ never an XJ, and some neighbor of mine helped themselves to a tank of mine about a month after i first bought it.

if you guys are talking about the flap in the filler neck, just take an old soda bottle or pvc pipe to move it out of the way and feed the syphon hose down. theres nothing in the gas tank or the filler hose that I know of.
Tomorrow I will grab a tube and a bottle and see if I can get it down the filler. Funny you mention that skid, I was looking at it on eBay earlier today. It's a lot cheaper than the typical name brands. I was wondering how it compared.
saf98tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
obidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by saf98tj View Post
Tomorrow I will grab a tube and a bottle and see if I can get it down the filler. Funny you mention that skid, I was looking at it on eBay earlier today. It's a lot cheaper than the typical name brands. I was wondering how it compared.
thats exactly why i bought it lol
i was really surprised, it seems very nicely made and everything just fit.
__________________
Black 97 Sahara 4.0L 5 Speed - Fully Cloak'd
1.75" BL with 35"x12.5" Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar 10k Engo winch
obidya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by obidya View Post
if you guys are talking about the flap in the filler neck, just take an old soda bottle or pvc pipe to move it out of the way and feed the syphon hose down.
No, that's not the problem.


Quote:
Originally Posted by obidya View Post
theres nothing in the gas tank or the filler hose that I know of.
I have a TJ and an XJ; there is no getting a hose down either filler pipe. Not even a small-diameter hose.
tangofox007 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
saf98tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007

No, that's not the problem.

I have a TJ and an XJ; there is no getting a hose down either filler pipe. Not even a small-diameter hose.
Tango, I am sure you are right based on what I have read. I have some tube I can try it with for shits and giggles.
saf98tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
saf98tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 141
Tango you are correct. Tube went in about 10" and stopped.
saf98tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by saf98tj View Post
Tango you are correct. Tube went in about 10" and stopped.
Thanks.
tangofox007 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
obidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 1,527
did they add something in 98? or is mine missing something... huh
consider my mind blown

__________________
Black 97 Sahara 4.0L 5 Speed - Fully Cloak'd
1.75" BL with 35"x12.5" Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar 10k Engo winch
obidya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC