Howling noise from TJ - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
johnny102393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 217
Howling noise from TJ

So i have this awful howling noise that only seems to happen on a cold day (dry most of the time). it happens at all rpms driving stoped until running the motor for a little bit (1-15 min) it changes tone withing rpm's so i think its a pully although ive sprayed WD-40 in all the bearings and still cant seem to get it to stop. I took the belt off with a fellow jeeper and we were turning all the pully's by hand with no obvious signs of wear. I have no clue whats going on! it's a 4.0 auto 2002 tj this noise has happened around every winter ive owned it (3 years).

johnny102393 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fleetwood, PA
Posts: 161
Idler pulley. In the winter it's dryer. Your Jeep is 11+ years old. $20 part. It might be something else that someone else might chime in with, but I'd start with that. Cheap fix.

GGA1759 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
mikeyapproved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 30
Hey.

Take the belt off and fire it up for a few seconds... noise gone?? or noise still there?

Waterpump does not turn, so only a few seconds of running pls.

May be the Alternator, but not a bearing... internal issue, cold day means the alt is working harder initially?

Try the belt thing above to see if i the noise is indeed in the acc driven by the belt?

If the noise is belt drive related, try warming up the Jeep, run it etc until the noise goes away, then at idle turn on every electrical acc it has, wipers on high, heater on high, lights on highbeam, 4 way flashers on, rear wiper on, rear window defrost on, w/s washer washing, stereo etc and see if the noise comes back??

If it does, alt is to blame in some way, or the belt etc

Let me know how u make out?

mikey
mikeyapproved is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
johnny102393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyapproved View Post
Hey.

Take the belt off and fire it up for a few seconds... noise gone?? or noise still there?

Waterpump does not turn, so only a few seconds of running pls.

May be the Alternator, but not a bearing... internal issue, cold day means the alt is working harder initially?

Try the belt thing above to see if i the noise is indeed in the acc driven by the belt?

If the noise is belt drive related, try warming up the Jeep, run it etc until the noise goes away, then at idle turn on every electrical acc it has, wipers on high, heater on high, lights on highbeam, 4 way flashers on, rear wiper on, rear window defrost on, w/s washer washing, stereo etc and see if the noise comes back??

If it does, alt is to blame in some way, or the belt etc

Let me know how u make out?

mikey
I will try to put the altenator under max load but the noise isnt constant the only thing that ties it together is it mostly happens in the cold if i shut it off remove the belt it may not happen on start up its random =[
johnny102393 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,247
Sounds like belt is slipping this is typical as a cold belt is stiffer

A bearing noise will not go away after a few minutes but a belt squeal often will

If you have an early tj with manual belt tension make sure adjustment is adequately tight but do not over do tension or bearings can be damaged
If newer with spring loaded auto tension just go straight to new belt

Never use wd40 on a belt or bearing it only contaminates the belt and washes out proper bearing lube

It has only 3 uses in a shop
1) a solvent to wipe away grime and grease and displace water
2) a cutting fluid when machining aluminum
3) the spray from the arisol can when exposed to a match or open flame makes a small flame thrower to use to rid your shop of wasp nests by burning wings and rendering them flightless

Don't use it as a lube it only gums things up after a time

Replace belt after cleaning Pullies and insure adequate tension and unless oil or water is leaking onto belt start up squeal will be vanquished
Digger84 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
mikeyapproved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger84 View Post
3) the spray from the arisol can when exposed to a match or open flame makes a small flame thrower to use to rid your shop of wasp nests by burning wings and rendering them flightless
mikeyapproved is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
johnny102393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 217
lol ya'll are crazy, Tried the full load test and nada no change I'm about to start replacing parts until i find it =(
johnny102393 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,247
Remove belt and clean all pulleys with something to remove all oils and wd40 residue

REPLACE WITH NEW BELT and tension properly

Should fix the problem

The funny part of the wasp story was a guy who was under the mud dobber nest burning them out without his top collar button buttoned. One of the newly wingless bastards fell inside his shirt and before he could safely drop the gas rag tipped touch and remove his shirt he got
10 or more love bites from his flightless friend

Bees only one sting per critter but those damn yellow jackets each can do many hits
Digger84 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
johnny102393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 217
just replaced the dam belt a couple months ago but i will replace the tensioner pully first
johnny102393 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,247
Well your belt is squealing that leaves three possibilities

1 glazed or contaminated belt that needs to be replaced

2 crap on pulleys like wd40 oil antifreeze freeze ect would require cleaning plus new clean belt and not spraying spilling crap and fix any leaks

3 inadequate tension

Yes increased load from alt would make slipping worse but squeal when cold is belt

The good news is squeal hurts nothing and if only briefly when cold you can just ignore or wear it as a badge of misuse of wd40 shame
Digger84 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
jdjeep04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 17
did you check the fan clutch ,when it gets cold the clutch does not release and the fan will howl.
jdjeep04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
johnny102393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger84 View Post
Well your belt is squealing that leaves three possibilities

1 glazed or contaminated belt that needs to be replaced

2 crap on pulleys like wd40 oil antifreeze freeze ect would require cleaning plus new clean belt and not spraying spilling crap and fix any leaks

3 inadequate tension

Yes increased load from alt would make slipping worse but squeal when cold is belt

The good news is squeal hurts nothing and if only briefly when cold you can just ignore or wear it as a badge of misuse of wd40 shame
Im going to attempt to check this out today although wd40 hasn't made anything better or worse.
johnny102393 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
johnny102393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjeep04 View Post
did you check the fan clutch ,when it gets cold the clutch does not release and the fan will howl.
how do you check this?
johnny102393 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
johnny102393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 217
Bump

johnny102393 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
jeep , noise , offroad

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC