Jeep wont start... - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
lifted tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 108
Jeep wont start...

2000 wrangler 4.0 5speed, I can press the clutch down and turn the key and nothing would happen, I let it sit at the place where my job interview for a little bit... I pumped the clutch, checked battery had plenty of juice, and was tight, after it sat for about an hour I jumped in and it fired, got home and it happened again, was told a bout some switch that was on the clutch but I didn't see one , looking for a little help with yet anouther problem

lifted tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 32,844
Images: 2
The clutch interlock switch that prevents your TJ from starting unless the clutch is held down may have become intermittent. Refer to your owner's manual for how to bypass the interlock which is usually accomplished by inserting a fuse into fuse location #10 or #20 behind the glove box door.

If that fixes it, you can really just leave the fuse in which is only an idiot's safety guarantee for those who can't learn they need to shift into Neutral or step on the clutch pedal before starting the engine.

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
lifted tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 108
That's what my cousin was thinking to but it started working do we really didn't dig to deep, I couldn't find it under the dash earler, any idea where it would be, and would it be dealer only or after market have it?
lifted tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 32,844
Images: 2
The safety interlock switch is on the clutch mechanism. Have you not looked in your Owner's Manual yet to read up on how to bypass it with the fuse? Takes a few seconds to insert the fuse once you verify which location it's in. It's likely fuse slot #10 or #20 behind the glove box door as mentioned above.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
lifted tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
The safety interlock switch is on the clutch mechanism. Have you not looked in your Owner's Manual yet to read up on how to bypass it with the fuse? Takes a few seconds to insert the fuse once you verify which location it's in. It's likely fuse slot #10 or #20 behind the glove box door as mentioned above.
No not yet, I got to his house just to have to help him fix a few cars and have to look into doing a trans in a explorer, if I bypass the switch how will it work with pressing down the clutch to start it? And when I put the remote start on here shortly.(first manual car I have had)
lifted tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 32,844
Images: 2
Bypassing the interlock switch by inserting a fuse into the correct location just means the interlock switch can no longer prevent the Jeep from starting without the clutch being stepped down on... as is how all cars & trucks used to be.

Bypassing it means it won't give you problems any more. Bypassing means you can use the starter motor to move your TJ when it's in gear offroad in a precarious position and you can't for various reasons start the engine.

There is more risk involved if you bypass the clutch interlock but think of it this way... cars & trucks never had them until the late 70's or 80's when the lawyers decided we were too stupid to learn to shift into Neutral or step down on the clutch pedal before starting the engine.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
lifted tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 108
Lol okay that's something to look into and I normally keep it in neutral at all times, thanks for the help!
lifted tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Geneseo, NY
Posts: 257
There is a crap piece of a metal key that the ignition switch turns in the steering column that breaks on tj's. starts off intermittent but fails.. getting hard to find on ebay.. May or may not be the problem. Does the ignition switch feel different?? Just a suggestion...
Horn5413 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
lifted tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn5413
There is a crap piece of a metal key that the ignition switch turns in the steering column that breaks on tj's. starts off intermittent but fails.. getting hard to find on ebay.. May or may not be the problem. Does the ignition switch feel different?? Just a suggestion...
No difference in the key as of yet, when it happened last night I pumped the clutch and put In the key n took it out like 3 times and it started, I'm not to sure witch one worked, as of today it started three times with out a glitch...
lifted tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
lifted tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Bypassing the interlock switch by inserting a fuse into the correct location just means the interlock switch can no longer prevent the Jeep from starting without the clutch being stepped down on... as is how all cars & trucks used to be.

Bypassing it means it won't give you problems any more. Bypassing means you can use the starter motor to move your TJ when it's in gear offroad in a precarious position and you can't for various reasons start the engine.

There is more risk involved if you bypass the clutch interlock but think of it this way... cars & trucks never had them until the late 70's or 80's when the lawyers decided we were too stupid to learn to shift into Neutral or step down on the clutch pedal before starting the engine.
Alright Jerry, I tried bypassing the switch with#20 fuse, #10 has a fuse, that's labeled for the gauge cluster, and 20 was for an automatic tranny, and still wouldn't start, me and my cousin are at a bit of a confused state other then replacing the switch all together...
lifted tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
lifted tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 108
I also disconnected the switch and tried it, i checked and switched the starter relay for the fuel pump relay, I have located a switch for it as well other then the dealer, I'm also checking In the morning if maybe the starter is froze up...

lifted tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC