Lifter Nosie in my 04 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1
Lifter Nosie in my 04

I recently purchased an 04 Wrangler 4.0 5 speed with 91,000 miles. Gave her the first oil change and now i have a tapping sound. I have read some other posts and heard about an additive you add to the oil that will get ride of the annoying sound. Please let me know what i need to buy and how to add it correctly. Thanks for your help

#newjeepowner

04Jeepman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 29,227
Images: 2
Some engine oils are more prone than others to cause lifter noise, what kind of oil & what viscosity did you switch to

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 589
I was having a similar issue but it only happens on a cold start. It would tick for the first ~5min after starting.. I changed to Castrol dino 5w40 (maybe 30, whatever the recommended is for the 2nd number) to remedy it. Now it does it much louder on a cold start but only for 15-45 seconds...
I-Want-A-Jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix, Rattlesnake Country
Posts: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Jeepman View Post
I recently purchased an 04 Wrangler 4.0 5 speed with 91,000 miles. Gave her the first oil change and now i have a tapping sound. I have read some other posts and heard about an additive you add to the oil that will get ride of the annoying sound. Please let me know what i need to buy and how to add it correctly. Thanks for your help

#newjeepowner
If you are sure that it is a lifter noise, then add one pint of marvel mystery oil. Walmart, Pep Boys, Oreileys they all carry it. It is 4.9 viscosity and has a very high detergent for cleaning and works very well to help eliminate lifter noise. It has been on the market for about 65 years and has a track record of success. I would run it for a couple of hundred miles and then drain it when the engine is hot. Go back with a good Conventional oil, I use Valvoline 10w30 and install a new oil filter, wix makes a good filter. This time install 1/2 of a pint and run it out until your next oil change. If it is a lifter sticking from contamination, then this should fix it.
Good Luck!
Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 29,227
Images: 2
10W-30 is what the factory recommends for temperate conditions, 5W-30 is recommended for cooler/cold conditions.

Some oil manufacturers claim with sound logic that running 5W-30 even in warm conditions helps the engine get lubed faster during a cold start & is better for the engine. I'm in the habit of using 10W-30 but I'm tempted to switch to 5W-30 for that reason.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
B15philly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Coventry CT
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
If you are sure that it is a lifter noise, then add one pint of marvel mystery oil. Walmart, Pep Boys, Oreileys they all carry it. It is 4.9 viscosity and has a very high detergent for cleaning and works very well to help eliminate lifter noise. It has been on the market for about 65 years and has a track record of success. I would run it for a couple of hundred miles and then drain it when the engine is hot. Go back with a good Conventional oil, I use Valvoline 10w30 and install a new oil filter, wix makes a good filter. This time install 1/2 of a pint and run it out until your next oil change. If it is a lifter sticking from contamination, then this should fix it.
Good Luck!
X2 on this had the same noise and this helped
__________________
2004 Columbia Edition 33/12.5/15 MTR'S 3.25 Inch lift with Rancho RS9000XL shocks Smitty built rear bumper Currie heavy duty steering super-winch 12.5 and in need of chromoly shafts and a 8.8
B15philly is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix, Rattlesnake Country
Posts: 2,741
Jerry, I'm is Arizona and that is why I use 10w30 Valvoline Conventional year round in my 03 Tj In my 2013 Rubicon I am running 5w20 Pennzoil Platinum year round.
Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
10W-30 is what the factory recommends for temperate conditions, 5W-30 is recommended for cooler/cold conditions.

Some oil manufacturers claim with sound logic that running 5W-30 even in warm conditions helps the engine get lubed faster during a cold start & is better for the engine. I'm in the habit of using 10W-30 but I'm tempted to switch to 5W-30 for that reason.

That was my thought Jerry. I think the cold start was causing a tick because the oil was thicker with the 10-30 that was in it. Switching to 5-30 gives same protection once warmed but is thinner at "cold" temp (less than 85 degrees) and travels to the lifters faster. That's the only way I can explain the 5w30 making the tick go away so much faster than the previous 10w30.

I-Want-A-Jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC