Need help, clutch won't disengage - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Beachcomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ during the week Delaware on most weekends
Posts: 322
Need help, clutch won't disengage

Need some help. I have a 01 TJ with a 4L 5speed. I keep it at my beach house and only use it on weekends when Iím there. Iíve had it 3 years and only put 5000miles on it mostly driving around town and on the beach, nothing rough. I parked it in the garage last weekend and all was well. I went to use it this weekend and the clutch would not disengage. I didnít have any advanced warning of a problem, no slipping, no noise, shifted find.

Any Ideas? Iím thinking itís hydraulic but Iím not aware of a way to test it.

Beachcomber is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 29,155
Images: 2
The hydraulic's slave cylinder pushes a pin out and into the bell housing to disengage the clutch. The slave is only held to the bell housing by two bolts, remove them and then carefully pull it back from the bell housing, making sure not to let its steel push-pin fall out and into the bell housing's interior.

With it out, you can have someone step down on the clutch and see if the slave cylinder's push-pin is pushing out as it should. If that pin pushes out hard (you should not be able to hold it in with your hand) as it should when the clutch pedal is pushed down, the problem is inside the bell housing and the transmissio will need to be pulled.

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Beachcomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ during the week Delaware on most weekends
Posts: 322
If it is a hydraulic probem can I bleed the system. I have heard that it is sealed and can not be bleed. Can I add fluid I couldn't open the master but I didn't force it because I didn't want to brake it if it was sealed.
Beachcomber is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 29,155
Images: 2
What makes you think the clutch hydraulic systems is low on fluid? Did you check the clutch system's reservoir and find it low on fluid?
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Beachcomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ during the week Delaware on most weekends
Posts: 322
I couldn't open the reservoir to see if it was low and was afraid to force it because I read it was sealed. It just seems so sudden that the clutch stoped working. One day it was fine when I parked it in the garage and a week later it won't disengage. I have had clutches fail before but I always had some signs for weeks and months before it happened.
Beachcomber is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Beachcomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ during the week Delaware on most weekends
Posts: 322
I finally got back down to Delaware to work on the clutch. I checked the fluid level and it was fine so I removed the slave cylinder to check if it was working and it was also fine. Not having the desire to do a clutch job myself I had the Jeep towed to a local shop on Saturday. They called me today and confirmed the clutch would not disengage. They pushed it into the shop and tried it again and it suddenly started working again. I asked the mechanic to drive it around this week till I get back down on Friday or till it stops working again. I don’t know what else to do for now. I don’t want it to stop working when I am on the beach and can’t get it towed out. Any ideas?
Beachcomber is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
TreeClimber1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
I finally got back down to Delaware to work on the clutch. I checked the fluid level and it was fine so I removed the slave cylinder to check if it was working and it was also fine. Not having the desire to do a clutch job myself I had the Jeep towed to a local shop on Saturday. They called me today and confirmed the clutch would not disengage. They pushed it into the shop and tried it again and it suddenly started working again. I asked the mechanic to drive it around this week till I get back down on Friday or till it stops working again. I don’t know what else to do for now. I don’t want it to stop working when I am on the beach and can’t get it towed out. Any ideas?
Regarding the 'fix', I'm guessing that it was rusted to the flywheel. Beach driving equals salt and water equals rust.... who knows.

There is a common YJ clutch problem, whereby a 'dammit' clip comes undone, and the clutch pedal rod falls off the clutch fork, causing the clutch to seem to be irrevocably broken. That's just a matter of sliding the transmission back a few inches and re-attaching a new clip.

To the naysayers, who say a clutch cannot rust to a clutch disc, remember that all the rivets and whatnots are still steel. Much like a brake shoe can 'sieze' to a drum.
__________________
1992 YJ, 401 V8, EFI, TH400, Atlas, D60s, Detroits, Warn 8274, Cage, 37 Krawlers
1997 TJ, 350 V8, EFI, TH400, Atlas 4spd, D60s, Detroits, Warn 12000, Cage, 40 Kevlars
TTC 1994, TTC 2012, Trail Tour participant.
TreeClimber1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Beachcomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ during the week Delaware on most weekends
Posts: 322
Thanks for the feedback. I can't pick up the Jeep till the end of the week anyway so I hope they will use it and if it is a real problem it will fail again and I will get it fixed. If not I will always be thinking the next shift will be the last.
Beachcomber is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 878
I live on the louisiana coast so we have loads of moisture.Stuff rust overnight down here.
I work offshore 28 days at a time so my Jeep stays parked,not running at a dock for 28 days.in summer atleast 3 times I have that same problem,start her up and you cant shift,clutch is stuck.What I do is start her in gear,as soon as she starts and the Jeep moves press the clutch cause its un frozen.I cant explain it but it works all the time for me.Something in there will rust up or get seized that requires the force of starting in gear to break it loose.The salt water air from the coast is the blame.
__________________
Pincho De Lapiz
ou812 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Beachcomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ during the week Delaware on most weekends
Posts: 322
Does this ever happen within the same day, or only when left for a few days?
Beachcomber is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
ygohome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: now in HOUSTON TEXAS, ya'll
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
I live on the louisiana coast so we have loads of moisture.Stuff rust overnight down here.
I work offshore 28 days at a time so my Jeep stays parked,not running at a dock for 28 days.in summer atleast 3 times I have that same problem,start her up and you cant shift,clutch is stuck.What I do is start her in gear,as soon as she starts and the Jeep moves press the clutch cause its un frozen.I cant explain it but it works all the time for me.Something in there will rust up or get seized that requires the force of starting in gear to break it loose.The salt water air from the coast is the blame.

I'm going to try that trick tomorrow. oh, and sorry for reviving such an old thread.

I moved from the dry Arizona desert to Houston a couple years ago and I hadn't driven the jeep for about a year. A few days ago I tried to put the jeep in gear while it was running but the clutch didn't seem to be doing a thing. It wasn't soft, just could not get it into any gear. I'll try tomorrow using your trick to start it while in gear to see if that will unstick it (if that is what the prob is).


Thanks

Ben
__________________

Frank Bullitt (BULLZ)
April 2001 - Sept 2011
ygohome is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
ygohome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: now in HOUSTON TEXAS, ya'll
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ygohome View Post
I'm going to try that trick tomorrow. oh, and sorry for reviving such an old thread.

I moved from the dry Arizona desert to Houston a couple years ago and I hadn't driven the jeep for about a year. A few days ago I tried to put the jeep in gear while it was running but the clutch didn't seem to be doing a thing. It wasn't soft, just could not get it into any gear. I'll try tomorrow using your trick to start it while in gear to see if that will unstick it (if that is what the prob is).


Thanks

Ben

shoot, that didn't work for me.

The level is full on the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder is fine. But I still can't get it into any gear (forward or reverse) when the vehicle is at idle. I started it up while in gear and it lurches forward but pressing in the clutch pedal doesn't do anything. It must be rusted quite good in the year it's been since I drove it last.

Any other advice before I call a tow truck?

Thanks,

Ben
__________________

Frank Bullitt (BULLZ)
April 2001 - Sept 2011
ygohome is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Beachcomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ during the week Delaware on most weekends
Posts: 322
This is a very old string but I can add to it now that its been two years since I had that problem. As I mentioned in the old string while the shop was look into the problem it started working again. The mechanic drove it for a week without an issue. I was concerned that it would happen again but so far so good.

Beachcomber is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
clutch won't disengage? Lovara YJ Tech Forum 4 10-13-2011 05:19 PM
Engine & Clutch Issues - What Would You Do? stjbg01 TJ General Discussion Forum 3 05-13-2011 07:30 AM
Cherokee Master Clutch Kits - Free Shipping! AOR Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. 0 04-25-2011 10:35 AM
Please Help! Tranny or Clutch Problem?? stjbg01 TJ General Discussion Forum 14 04-11-2011 01:29 PM
clutch disengage skw12488 YJ Tech Forum 6 03-11-2010 01:25 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.



Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC