Need troubleshooting help...from all mechs..and Jerry - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Grateful Parrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nashville
Posts: 243
Need troubleshooting help...from all mechs..and Jerry

I'm having an issue with overheating and I'm not sure where to check next.

Background.
Beginning of last summer..water pump blew. So at that time, I replaced the water pump, radiator, fan belt and a couple hoses.

Recently.
I was driving about 20 @ 65mph miles and the jeep overheated. I loss no water, just was hot. I let it cool, and drove home. Anything around 40mph and under, it runs perfectly. I thought stuck thermostat. I replaced the thermostat with a 185 per jeep specs. Again, driving around 40 or under, works fine. I had to take a longer trip yesterday, and the temp was running around 220. My jeep had always stuck right at the 210 (straight up) mark. Also, I changed my oil (and I was about 5K past). The oil pressure that used to stay on 40 during driving and 20 at the light. Now it reads about 43 or so for the driving, and around 15 at the stop.

Does these numbers sound correct? If i'm running hot, what should I check? Could the water pump be bad after a year and not losing water?

Thanks in advance.

__________________
98 Sahara

Peace and be kind - Jerry Garcia
Grateful Parrot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 33,175
Images: 2
First, the Jeep spec for the thermostat is 195 degrees, not 185. Your oil pressures are fine & right where they should be.

Has your Jeep been in any mud that could have gotten into the radiator cooling fins so air flow is being blocked in any way? If it only overheats at lower speeds, it could be a bad fan clutch. Your fan shroud is still in place right?

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
jherrington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 2,028
When is the last time you flushed your radiator?

How about the A/C? was that on?
__________________
98 TJ sport 4.0L I6 356,000 miles.
No Engine, axle, tranny, or t-case rebuilds.
Check out my 5.3 swap in progress here!
jherrington is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
tx_wolfman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Has your Jeep been in any mud that could have gotten into the radiator cooling fins so air flow is being blocked in any way? If it only overheats at lower speeds, it could be a bad fan clutch. Your fan shroud is still in place right?
I agree. I had a Volvo that would over heat. Changed water pump and thermostat and tried other things. Ended up being a bad fan clutch.

Try this. Try spinning the fan with engine cold and not running, of course. It should spin fairly freely. Then get the engine to operating temp, shut it off. Now try spinning the fan. You should feel quite a bit more resistance trying to spin it. If it feels the same as when cold, change the fan clutch.
tx_wolfman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Grateful Parrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nashville
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
First, the Jeep spec for the thermostat is 195 degrees, not 185. Your oil pressures are fine & right where they should be.

Has your Jeep been in any mud that could have gotten into the radiator cooling fins so air flow is being blocked in any way? If it only overheats at lower speeds, it could be a bad fan clutch. Your fan shroud is still in place right?
Nah. Sadly I haven't been offroad in a while..some puddles here and there, but no real trailing. I checked the front of the radiator and it's fine. It doesn't overheat at lower speeds, just when I'm 50mph and above. I'm still running at around 18K rpms, but it gets hotter at higher speeds. It's a new radiator, but I guess I can CLR the outside just for giggles. But I will definitely check the fan clutch using the method that TX was saying.
__________________
98 Sahara

Peace and be kind - Jerry Garcia
Grateful Parrot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
jherrington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 2,028
Fan clutch wont do much at 60 MPH.

Is your A/C on?

Edit: you cant see the front of the radiator without taking it out. it covered by the AC condenser.
__________________
98 TJ sport 4.0L I6 356,000 miles.
No Engine, axle, tranny, or t-case rebuilds.
Check out my 5.3 swap in progress here!
jherrington is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Grateful Parrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nashville
Posts: 243
No on the A/C. I never run it here in TN.

I will pull the radiator tomorrow. You right, I was just looking at condenser maybe.

Oh I guess I would have said it's a 98 TJ.

Editing: I have flushed multiple times this past couple years. One year, I had a freeze plug blow and I flushed in the repair. Then I have done the backflushing of the heater core as well. And of course, replacing the water pump and radiator last year, flushed everything.
__________________
98 Sahara

Peace and be kind - Jerry Garcia
Grateful Parrot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Grateful Parrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nashville
Posts: 243
Ok. Update.

I can tell NO difference in the fan, either cold or hot. It always feels like there is little resistance. It doesn't spin freely, I have to push it along. Could it be the fan?
__________________
98 Sahara

Peace and be kind - Jerry Garcia
Grateful Parrot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Kilroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 570
Restricted exhaust system?
__________________
Patience is a waste of time...
Kilroy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
lynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: York, PA
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Parrot View Post
Ok. Update.

I can tell NO difference in the fan, either cold or hot. It always feels like there is little resistance. It doesn't spin freely, I have to push it along. Could it be the fan?
Yep...
__________________
Lynn
'05 LJ
lynn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
Full Size Jeep Dr.

WF Supporting Member
 
lindel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The land of Salted Iron
Posts: 2,193
My guess would be that there is still air trapped in the system. You might be seeing a hot spot at the area of the temp sensor.
__________________
His: 1999 Flame Red TJ, With a few mods...

Hers: 1987 Grand Wagoneer, stock w/Falken Wildpeak ATs
lindel is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 537
Send a message via Yahoo to ChaddG
the haynes says....
section 22 of the troubleshooting guide
Low oil pressure
1.improper grade of oil.
2.oil pump worn or damaged.
3. engine overheating.
4. clogged oil filter
5. clogged oil strainer
6. oil pressure gauge not working properly.

section 27, overheating
1. insufficient coolant in system
2. dirvebelt defective or not adjusted properly
3. radiator core blocked or radiator grille dirty and restricted.
4. thermostat faulty.
5. fan not funtioning properly
6. radiator cap not maintaining proper pressure, have cap pressure tested bby repair shop. <replace it for 5.00>
7. ignition timing incorrect.
8. defective water pump.
9. improper grade of engine oil.
10. inaccurate temperature gauge.
I would start there.
check your cooling system, have it flushed, and change your radiator cap, start there.
P.m. me if you need more haynes advice
ChaddG is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Grateful Parrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nashville
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaddG View Post
the haynes says....
section 22 of the troubleshooting guide
Low oil pressure
1.improper grade of oil.
2.oil pump worn or damaged.
3. engine overheating.
4. clogged oil filter
5. clogged oil strainer
6. oil pressure gauge not working properly.

section 27, overheating
1. insufficient coolant in system
2. dirvebelt defective or not adjusted properly
3. radiator core blocked or radiator grille dirty and restricted.
4. thermostat faulty.
5. fan not funtioning properly
6. radiator cap not maintaining proper pressure, have cap pressure tested bby repair shop. <replace it for 5.00>
7. ignition timing incorrect.
8. defective water pump.
9. improper grade of engine oil.
10. inaccurate temperature gauge.
I would start there.
check your cooling system, have it flushed, and change your radiator cap, start there.
P.m. me if you need more haynes advice
Have flushed multiple times. Just changed the oil with Mobile 1, same I have done for the past 10yrs. Bought new cap when I changed the radiator last year. Will change the fan clutch (only $37 easy repair). Will check for air in the system this weekend.

__________________
98 Sahara

Peace and be kind - Jerry Garcia
Grateful Parrot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC