New exhaust? Help - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
SaharaOffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
Question New exhaust? Help

I have a 1999 jeep Sahara with a stock exhaust system. I live in the country with a bunch of loud trucks, I was wondering if there was an exhaust I could get that would give me some sound. Any ideas?

SaharaOffroad is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Socaltrailrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 815
Any straight through style muffler (Magnaflow, Banks, Borla, Ultraflo) will give it a nice deep tone since the design has sound absorbing packing

Any chambered style muffler (Edelbrock, Flowmaster, Gibson, MBRP) will give it a louder tone with somewhat of a raspy sound since the sound bounces off the chambered walls inside the muffler

Socaltrailrider is online now   Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
SaharaOffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
SaharaOffroad is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
SaharaOffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltrailrider View Post
Any straight through style muffler (Magnaflow, Banks, Borla, Ultraflo) will give it a nice deep tone since the design has sound absorbing packing

Any chambered style muffler (Edelbrock, Flowmaster, Gibson, MBRP) will give it a louder tone with somewhat of a raspy sound since the sound bounces off the chambered walls inside the muffler
I found a MBRP, but would my 4 inch lift mess with any fitting
SaharaOffroad is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Teague242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pottsville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,618
No. Your lift will not affect the exhaust fitment
Teague242 is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Socaltrailrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 815
I have a friend that has a MBRP but on a 2013 JK obviously different than a TJ (V6 vs Inline 6) but it still sounds good and looks like a well made exhaust system especially in that new all black option

The new exhaust shouldn't interfere at all unless you have some type of custom coilover or longarm suspension conversion
Socaltrailrider is online now   Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
SaharaOffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltrailrider View Post
I have a friend that has a MBRP but on a 2013 JK obviously different than a TJ (V6 vs Inline 6) but it still sounds good and looks like a well made exhaust system especially in that new all black option

The new exhaust shouldn't interfere at all unless you have some type of custom coilover or longarm suspension conversion
Okay thanks for the help
SaharaOffroad is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
steve_plunkett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Glenolden PA
Posts: 446
I have the banks monster catback and love it. It sounds awesome
steve_plunkett is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 6,311
Images: 1
To answer the original question, a tip is not going to affect the sound....................
__________________
2003 TJ, 33" BFG AT, 2" BL, 2" BDS spring lift, Truck Lite headlights, Homemade sunrider top.
Neil F. is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Teague242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pottsville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
To answer the original question, a tip is not going to affect the sound....................
Unless it's shaped like a potato.........
Teague242 is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
SaharaOffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague242 View Post
Unless it's shaped like a potato.........
can you give me an example of potato shape
SaharaOffroad is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaOffroad View Post
can you give me an example of potato shape
__________________
-------------------------------

'03 Jeep TJ Sport
Seafire327 is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
steve_plunkett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Glenolden PA
Posts: 446
Put a whistle tip on it. Hahahahah
steve_plunkett is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Teague242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pottsville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaOffroad View Post
can you give me an example of potato shape
Uhhh sort of oval with numerous indentations and all that. Bout 6 inches long by 3.5 wide...
Teague242 is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
SaharaOffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague242 View Post
Uhhh sort of oval with numerous indentations and all that. Bout 6 inches long by 3.5 wide...
Would that make it louder or quieter?
SaharaOffroad is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Teague242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pottsville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaOffroad View Post
Would that make it louder or quieter?
I hear it'll make the motor completely silent! Lol
Teague242 is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 161
Any difference or issues with fitment on a cat back system between the 4.0 & 2.4?
4586shaggy is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
SaharaOffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4586shaggy View Post
Any difference or issues with fitment on a cat back system between the 4.0 & 2.4?
I was wondering the same thing
SaharaOffroad is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 8,886
Flowmaster 40 series two chamber with an 18" turndown. Sounds awesome!
krisbman is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 23
TJ Exhaust

1999 TJ Sport
Borla Stainless Steel Header
Flowmaster Series 10 Muffler
Sounds as good as anything I've heard
John Henry is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
SaharaOffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Henry View Post
1999 TJ Sport Borla Stainless Steel Header Flowmaster Series 10 Muffler Sounds as good as anything I've heard
Thanks I'll look into it
SaharaOffroad is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 8,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaOffroad View Post
Thanks I'll look into it
A 10 series is going to be crazy loud. The lower the number the louder they get. Thats probably only a single chamber muffler. Some serious drone there
krisbman is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 23
No Drone

Sounds like a V8. Most people think it is upon hearing it. No Drone. I know how it sounds, I did it. This is not an Opinion.
John Henry is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Henry View Post
Sounds like a V8. Most people think it is upon hearing it. No Drone. I know how it sounds, I did it. This is not an Opinion.
How you think it would sound on a 4 banger? Looking for a cat back but don't want it to sound ricey... I need something less restrictive than stock
4586shaggy is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 8,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Henry View Post
Sounds like a V8. Most people think it is upon hearing it. No Drone. I know how it sounds, I did it. This is not an Opinion.
Id have to hear it. Nothing sounds like a V8 except a V8.
krisbman is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Henry View Post
Sounds like a V8. Most people think it is upon hearing it.
Except nothing sounds like a V8 except a V8 :-P
4586shaggy is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 8,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4586shaggy View Post
Except nothing sounds like a V8 except a V8 :-P
I concur.
krisbman is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbman View Post

I concur.
Do you know if a cat back for a 4.0 will have any fitment issues on a 2.4? I'm not the OP but I kinda jumped in late.
4586shaggy is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 8,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4586shaggy View Post
Do you know if a cat back for a 4.0 will have any fitment issues on a 2.4? I'm not the OP but I kinda jumped in late.
Nope
krisbman is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Socaltrailrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4586shaggy View Post

How you think it would sound on a 4 banger? Looking for a cat back but don't want it to sound ricey... I need something less restrictive than stock
You might be better off with a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler if you have a 4cyl, it's a lot less restrictive than stock but with a controlled sound so it doesn't sound so "ricey"

Socaltrailrider is online now   Quote
Reply

Tags
exhaust pipe , exhaust system

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC