Not getting to 210 degree operating temp - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
ChiliPep99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 71
Not getting to 210 degree operating temp

My jeep never seems to get up to the 210 mark. It typically runs about 20 degrees cooler. It has on occasion reached 210 but there is no specific reason I can find as to why it does or doesn't. I'm thinking its a sticking thermostat. Anyone have any other ideas, comments or suggestions on what to look for or how to fix?

Thanks!

__________________
Living the dream!
ChiliPep99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,104
Mine reached 221 sitting still for about 15 minutes in 97 degree weather.

OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,452
Images: 2
Sounds like the thermostat is stuck open, just replace it with a Stant 195 degree thermostat which is the factory recommended temperature. Avoid so-called "fail-safe" thermostats which tend to get stuck open.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,527
The function of the thermostat is to ensure a minimum temperature. If that is not happening, the thermostat would be the logical culprit. The only other realistic alternative is that the temp indication is not accurate.
tangofox007 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
ChiliPep99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Sounds like the thermostat is stuck open, just replace it with a Stant 195 degree thermostat which is the factory recommended temperature. Avoid so-called "fail-safe" thermostats which tend to get stuck open.
Thanks Jerry! I will be picking one up this weekend. Any tips on replacing it? Never did one on the jeep 4.0 before. It looks like the serpentine belt need to come off the have better access.
__________________
Living the dream!
ChiliPep99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
LouieDelTorchio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,221
Images: 1
Send a message via MSN to LouieDelTorchio Send a message via Skype™ to LouieDelTorchio
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSixTJ View Post
Mine reached 221 sitting still for about 15 minutes in 97 degree weather.
Is this normal? Because mine does this too
__________________
Louie Del Torchio
LouieDelTorchio is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
ChiliPep99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
The function of the thermostat is to ensure a minimum temperature. If that is not happening, the thermostat would be the logical culprit. The only other realistic alternative is that the temp indication is not accurate.
Any way to check the temp without buying a new sending unit?
__________________
Living the dream!
ChiliPep99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
ChiliPep99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSixTJ View Post
Mine reached 221 sitting still for about 15 minutes in 97 degree weather.
Mine never gets close to 220 even when driving it around town all day.
__________________
Living the dream!
ChiliPep99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPep99 View Post

Mine never gets close to 220 even when driving it around town all day.
Are you going off of the dash gauge or something else? I'm using an obd2 adapter and the torque app. My dash gauge stayed in the same spot between 210 and the 221.

Also, I'm not too worried about it getting that high, just throwing out some numbers
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,452
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPep99 View Post
Thanks Jerry! I will be picking one up this weekend. Any tips on replacing it? Never did one on the jeep 4.0 before. It looks like the serpentine belt need to come off the have better access.
Two suggestions... 1) Get every single smidgen/iota of the old gasket off both gasket seating surfaces. A putty knife works well for getting most of it off. After that, use a small wire brush on both surfaces to finish getting them perfectly (!) clean. Any small piece of old gasket left behing, even if you can barely see it, will make it leak. 2) Just install the new gasket without using RTV. That will seal fine, there is no need for RTV to make it leak-free. The factory doesn't use RTV, we don't need to either.

To let you know how easy it is to make it leak free... I was on a trail with a bunch of WF members when my engine started overheating from the thermostat sticking shut. I removed the thermostat there on the trail but I had no gasket with me. Someone gave me a piece of cardboard box, the thin high-density stuff, & I cut a gasket out of that. It was leak-free until I finally was able to install the new replacement thermostat. Cardboard gasket, no RTV, no leak, just clean gasket surfaces.

Finally, I now carry a big square of gasket material so I can cut whatever shape gaskets I need out on the trail. Auto parts stores carry it, it's a handy thing to carry.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
ChiliPep99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Two suggestions... 1) Get every single smidgen/iota of the old gasket off both gasket seating surfaces. A putty knife works well for getting most of it off. After that, use a small wire brush on both surfaces to finish getting them perfectly (!) clean. Any small piece of old gasket left behing, even if you can barely see it, will make it leak. 2) Just install the new gasket without using RTV. That will seal fine, there is no need for RTV to make it leak-free. The factory doesn't use RTV, we don't need to either.

To let you know how easy it is to make it leak free... I was on a trail with a bunch of WF members when my engine started overheating from the thermostat sticking shut. I removed the thermostat there on the trail but I had no gasket with me. Someone gave me a piece of cardboard box, the thin high-density stuff, & I cut a gasket out of that. It was leak-free until I finally was able to install the new replacement thermostat. Cardboard gasket, no RTV, no leak, just clean gasket surfaces.

Finally, I now carry a big square of gasket material so I can cut whatever shape gaskets I need out on the trail. Auto parts stores carry it, it's a handy thing to carry.
Thanks for the info! I'll post an update once I complete the job?
__________________
Living the dream!
ChiliPep99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
WaterDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,332
The analog dash gauges are notoriously not accurate. If it has always run that way and you have not seen a change, I would not worry about it.

A thermal heat gun if you can borrow one might be a great way to check.
WaterDR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Chili99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bad decisions make for great stories!
Posts: 286
my 99 also runs at about 190-200 according to the guage......I bought it used so I can't say how long it has done this...it does appear to have a new radiator in it so I have no idea about the tstat
__________________
Yes I am really a Crime Scene Investigator and if one more person asks if I watch CSI we are gonna have a crime scene right here.
Chili99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
ChiliPep99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
The analog dash gauges are notoriously not accurate. If it has always run that way and you have not seen a change, I would not worry about it.

A thermal heat gun if you can borrow one might be a great way to check.
It runs cooler most of the time, but does get to 210 on occasion.

__________________
Living the dream!
ChiliPep99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC