Please help!! Lights!!! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Parkton Md
Posts: 17
Please help!! Lights!!!

Hi I bought the hella 500ff lights and ive been trying to figure out how to wire them and i have no idea. Everything i see says wire them to the high beams but i dont want to do that...I just want them to be wired with the switch it came with....All the diagrams havent helped because they all show something different...If someone could please help with this i have been trying to do it forever!!

alecprice1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 32,761
Images: 2
Did you buy a pre-wired wiring kit that has a relay integrated into it? That makes getting driving lights installed properly an easy job. Especially since driving lights must have/be controlled by a relay, you don't just want just a switch controlling them.

I agree that you should wire them so they are on only when the high beams are on. This is the reason... so when you suddenly encounter oncoming traffic with your driving lights on, all you have to do is hit the headlight high/low-beam dimmer control on the stalk and both your brights and the driving lights will shut off together.

I had my first driving lights wired so they were not connected to the high beams and it was a PITA having to reach for/find the driving light switch at the same time I'm shutting the high beams off & the oncoming traffic is already flashing their brights at me.

Now it's one flick with the high beam switch on the stalk & they both shut off together. When would you ever want the driving lights on without the high-beams being on as well anyway?

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
brokeagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Charlotte TN
Posts: 148
I have a small pair I can over ride with a switch hooked to my low beams and my big ones hooked to my high beams also hooked to switch. So much easier than fumbling with switches when meeting traffic.
__________________
1998 Wrangler Sahara in a constant state of repair and/or modification...
brokeagin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
lifted tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecprice1
Hi I bought the hella 500ff lights and ive been trying to figure out how to wire them and i have no idea. Everything i see says wire them to the high beams but i dont want to do that...I just want them to be wired with the switch it came with....All the diagrams havent helped because they all show something different...If someone could please help with this i have been trying to do it forever!!
I had the same set up on my ZJ, you don't have to wire them into the high beams, ground the lights to there own housings run the Power wires together, like your running a normal set of lights just with the inline fuse and the relay mount the relay on the fire wall and run the wires for the switch through the firewall I ran the power to the battery like normal, and the green wire I ran to the negative cable, it's been a few months from when I did mine and I switched them to my wrangler with the factory clips
lifted tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Parkton Md
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted tj View Post
I had the same set up on my ZJ, you don't have to wire them into the high beams, ground the lights to there own housings run the Power wires together, like your running a normal set of lights just with the inline fuse and the relay mount the relay on the fire wall and run the wires for the switch through the firewall I ran the power to the battery like normal, and the green wire I ran to the negative cable, it's been a few months from when I did mine and I switched them to my wrangler with the factory clips
so i can use the green wire that comes from the switch just as the negative wire straight to the battery??
alecprice1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Parkton Md
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Did you buy a pre-wired wiring kit that has a relay integrated into it? That makes getting driving lights installed properly an easy job. Especially since driving lights must have/be controlled by a relay, you don't just want just a switch controlling them.

I agree that you should wire them so they are on only when the high beams are on. This is the reason... so when you suddenly encounter oncoming traffic with your driving lights on, all you have to do is hit the headlight high/low-beam dimmer control on the stalk and both your brights and the driving lights will shut off together.

I had my first driving lights wired so they were not connected to the high beams and it was a PITA having to reach for/find the driving light switch at the same time I'm shutting the high beams off & the oncoming traffic is already flashing their brights at me.

Now it's one flick with the high beam switch on the stalk & they both shut off together. When would you ever want the driving lights on without the high-beams being on as well anyway?
Thats a good point...i guess i should just wire them to the high beams...i thought i would just wire them like there own set of lights...but i could just use them with my high beams i guess...i just dont know which wire to connect them too so they are with my high beams....
alecprice1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
lifted tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecprice1

so i can use the green wire that comes from the switch just as the negative wire straight to the battery??
That's what I did. Lol n it worked
lifted tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Parkton Md
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted tj View Post
That's what I did. Lol n it worked
lol damn thats awesome....now for the 2 wires coming from the lights...do i just ground the blue one and for the blacks just run them to the relay?
alecprice1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135
I personally wire all my auxiliary lights so I can run them regardless of headlight operation. I have a small set of flat/ wide beam (similar to a fog beam, but not amber) that I run all the time when the headlights are on, especially the low beams in town. They are aimed low so as not to blind oncoming drivers, but really help light up the sides of the road to help spot deer (yes, in town).
Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
lifted tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecprice1

Thats a good point...i guess i should just wire them to the high beams...i thought i would just wire them like there own set of lights...but i could just use them with my high beams i guess...i just dont know which wire to connect them too so they are with my high beams....
If you have a test light and a buddy handy probe the wires when the high beams are on? Jerry is pretty good with jeeps, he might have more insight that I don't. Iv only had my wrangler 5 months and Jerry helped get mine going when I bought it.
lifted tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Parkton Md
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted tj View Post
If you have a test light and a buddy handy probe the wires when the high beams are on? Jerry is pretty good with jeeps, he might have more insight that I don't. Iv only had my wrangler 5 months and Jerry helped get mine going when I bought it.
Im in the same boat....ive had my wrangler for 4 months now....Im just trying to make this as easy as possible lol me and my buddy are doing them tomorrow...he has 2 lights and i have 4...ive had them for a while so i just want to get them working
alecprice1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
lifted tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecprice1

Im in the same boat....ive had my wrangler for 4 months now....Im just trying to make this as easy as possible lol me and my buddy are doing them tomorrow...he has 2 lights and i have 4...ive had them for a while so i just want to get them working
The black is ground and blue is power, I have two hella 500ff wired to my factory fog light switch, and two 100w KC's mounted on the wind shield, that the po had installed and didn't run them very well so I gotta re wire, sucky thing is mine came with a 6 foot western plow so once I connect that I won't have my fog lights I think.
lifted tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Parkton Md
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted tj View Post
The black is ground and blue is power, I have two hella 500ff wired to my factory fog light switch, and two 100w KC's mounted on the wind shield, that the po had installed and didn't run them very well so I gotta re wire, sucky thing is mine came with a 6 foot western plow so once I connect that I won't have my fog lights I think.
oh damn...well thank you so much...im gonna try putting the green right up to the battery, if it doesnt work ill just end up putting them with my high beams...

alecprice1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
hella , lights , wiring

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC