Rubicon axles - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
hmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 266
Rubicon axles

I found some rubicon front and rear axles for sale. What should I be weary of or looking for?

hmiller is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 35,144
Images: 2
Leaky air bladders inside the lockers (I have had one), tweeked/bent axle shaft tubes, obvious signs of hard trail usage as indicated by big or deep scratching/gouging underneath, chipped or broken ring or pinion gears, etc.

A big syringe can be used to apply air pressure to the locker's air hose fitting to test it for leakage. Caution that it only takes 5 psi to engage the locker, air pressure from a standard compressor would likely blow the bladder apart. Once you hear the locker engage, leave the syringe on to keep it pressurized & wait to listen for it to unlock which would indicate a leak.

It's obvious exterior condition will tell you a lot about how it was used... hard use would be pretty easy to determine. Good luck with it and keep in mind few axles can't be restored to good condition for a reasonable cost.

__________________
Offroad until Sunday!
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmiller View Post
What should I be weary of…?
Get plenty of rest while you are looking and weariness should not be a problem.
tangofox007 is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
hmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007

Get plenty of rest while you are looking and weariness should not be a problem.
Sorry bub didn't know I had to be cautious of my grammar.
hmiller is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
hmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Leaky air bladders inside the lockers (I have had one), tweeked/bent axle shaft tubes, obvious signs of hard trail usage as indicated by big or deep scratching/gouging underneath, chipped or broken ring or pinion gears, etc.

A big syringe can be used to apply air pressure to the locker's air hose fitting to test it for leakage. Caution that it only takes 5 psi to engage the locker, air pressure from a standard compressor would likely blow the bladder apart. Once you hear the locker engage, leave the syringe on to keep it pressurized & wait to listen for it to unlock which would indicate a leak.

It's obvious exterior condition will tell you a lot about how it was used... hard use would be pretty easy to determine. Good luck with it and keep in mind few axles can't be restored to good condition for a reasonable cost.
Thanks Jerry. This one is on eBay and its front and rear of what looks like a stock 2003 rubicon. The guy says he's never driven it, he bought the jeep wrecked. They are going for a cheap price as of now And I won't have to pay for shipping.
hmiller is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,648
When you say cheap about how much? If i could I would rather have an HP30 in the front than my fake Rubicon Dana 44. The lockers aren't as durable as people say, I have blown the rear one out on 32" tires. They are extremely hard to come by after you break one, and when you find them they come at a price. Normally around $700-$900 is what I see them going for.

I would be looking at an HP30 from an XJ built up with ARB's and all the goodies. For the rear just a Dana 44 from any TJ built it up similarly instead of the Rubi locker.
Moabrubi is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
hmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 266
I hear you. I just need the 44 or 8.8 and these come with the lockers. It's like 830 right now
hmiller is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,648
That's a good deal if the lockers work. It's front and rear right? Does it come with the pump?
Moabrubi is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
hmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi
That's a good deal if the lockers work. Does it come with the pump?
Yes it does and the drive shafts.
hmiller is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmiller View Post
Yes it does and the drive shafts.
If you can snatch it for that price, then yes it is worth it. I figured you were paying the average price for rubi axles.
Moabrubi is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
hmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi

If you can snatch it for that price, then yes it is worth it. I figured you were paying the average price for rubi axles.
How high would you go?
hmiller is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmiller View Post
How high would you go?
That's a tough call. Sight unseen unknown locker condition? Considering Daveys jeeps want $1850 for one of them not including driveshafts or pump. I think they may be a little overpriced though.

D A V E Y S J E E P S . C O M - Parts Specials

I don't really know the market value for Rubi axles. Try to find some old ads and see what they have been selling for maybe?
Moabrubi is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
hmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi

That's a tough call. Sight unseen unknown locker condition? Considering Daveys jeeps want $1850 for one of them not including driveshafts or pump. I think they may be a little overpriced though.

D A V E Y S J E E P S . C O M - Parts Specials

I don't really know the market value for Rubi axles. Try to find some old ads and see what they have been selling for maybe?
Ok thanks man!
hmiller is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
cully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 100
I have seen these sell for up to $3000 several times. Arounds 2200-2600 seems to be the normal range.
cully is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 35,144
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
When you say cheap about how much? If i could I would rather have an HP30 in the front than my fake Rubicon Dana 44.
The only thing stronger about an HP30 over the TJ's LP D30 is its reverse cut R&P gears, in addition to it being a high pinion. The Rubicon front D44's R&P gears (& inner 30 spline shaft) are stronger yet. The only benefit a HP D30 has over the Rubicon's front D44 is it is a high pinion.

__________________
Offroad until Sunday!
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC