Should I care about 1" difference between lift and shock size? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-10-2014, 11:12 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 4
Should I care about 1" difference between lift and shock size?

Hello - hopefully someone can help with this question. I have a 4" skyjacker coils in the front and rear S97TJ40F and S97TJ40R and the matching 3.5" to 5" lift skyjacker shocks S97N8028 and S97N8025. I'm considering adding a skyjacker 2" spacer lift kit SJ-TJ20 to the mix. Do I need to replace the shocks with one that is better matched to the 6" lift? - Thanks in advance

kwijibo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #2
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepwayoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California/Montana
Posts: 3,142
Get a 1.25" body lift instead of the spacer lift. Spacers on lifted coils are a bad idea and it will save you from needing new shocks

__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
jeepwayoflife is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife View Post
Get a 1.25" body lift instead of the spacer lift. Spacers on lifted coils are a bad idea and it will save you from needing new shocks
Thank you! I'm new to Jeeps. Can you tell me why it is a bad idea to add a spacer to a lifted coil? I only ask because it seems half the people I run into around here has a spacer on top of their coil. I assume running with shocks 1" smaller than the lift is a bad thing? I appreciate your advice.
kwijibo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-11-2014, 12:38 AM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepwayoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California/Montana
Posts: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwijibo View Post

Thank you! I'm new to Jeeps. Can you tell me why it is a bad idea to add a spacer to a lifted coil? I only ask because it seems half the people I run into around here has a spacer on top of their coil. I assume running with shocks 1" smaller than the lift is a bad thing? I appreciate your advice.
While a small spacer 1" or less are OK on a lifted coil to help even the ride height anything more will lead to problems like Coil Bind at full flex that will damage your springs. Its ok to run 2" or so spacers on stock coil springs because even after the 2" spacers, at full bump (assuming your bumpstops are set up correctly), the coils will not be binding. Lifted coils are just too long to run a larger spacer and are forced together too far and are damaged.

If you just want an extra inch or two, go with a 1.25" body lift and a 1" motor mount lift. This will leave your suspension alone and give you 1.25" of extra clearance under the fenders.

If you are trying to fit a larger tire, personally I would just get some high clearance fenders. It will let you fit larger tires while keeping your current center of gravity.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
jeepwayoflife is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #5
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife View Post
While a small spacer 1" or less are OK on a lifted coil to help even the ride height anything more will lead to problems like Coil Bind at full flex that will damage your springs. Its ok to run 2" or so spacers on stock coil springs because even after the 2" spacers, at full bump (assuming your bumpstops are set up correctly), the coils will not be binding. Lifted coils are just too long to run a larger spacer and are forced together too far and are damaged.

If you just want an extra inch or two, go with a 1.25" body lift and a 1" motor mount lift. This will leave your suspension alone and give you 1.25" of extra clearance under the fenders.

If you are trying to fit a larger tire, personally I would just get some high clearance fenders. It will let you fit larger tires while keeping your current center of gravity.

Makes a lot of sense. Thank you very much!!!
kwijibo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC