soft top is too dang hard to put up - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-27-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: boise
Posts: 5
Unhappy soft top is too dang hard to put up

ok folks, ive had my jeep for a few years, and my soft top is really really hard to put up, ive had like 2 guys and me work on it before and still not get it on. everytime we do put it up it takes super human strength to get it to pull far enough forward to clip it. i took it to boise's BUCKS 4x4, and they didnt even look at it, and said, "oh a tight top is ideal, you dont want it flopping around". jerks. ive seen tiny chicks pop theirs on with one hand in a few minutes, and im tired of having to wait through lots of beautiful days, until the weather is practically guaranteed to stay nice! i think the issue is, seems like my passenger side middle support bar, doesnt have the curved corner metal piece, and i think that pulls everything out of whack. i cant seem to find just that piece on line. any suggestions people? also, i need the inside door handle for the passenger side, i saw one on parts train for $13.95, does this sound good? i would like to buy both parts from one place, and hope to save on shipping... sorry to be so darn rambley but the sunny weather is making me want that top down! thanks...

moreismore69 is offline   Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
Shake 'n Bake

WF Lifetime Member
 
khenderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: PHX
Posts: 1,344
Send a message via ICQ to khenderson Send a message via AIM to khenderson Send a message via Yahoo to khenderson
try taking the back corner flaps out when you put it on and then folding those under when you're don't clamping it all down.

__________________
I'ma come at your like a spider monkey!


khenderson is offline   Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:03 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
TJGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Chester PA, Annapolis MD
Posts: 100
Send a message via AIM to TJGreg
as long as it sits in the sun a bit and heats up, mine s a cinch and its pretty much new.
__________________
2005 Rubicon 6 speed
REBB, Teraflex Discos, KC 150's
A to Z bumper & rockers
TJGreg is offline   Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:00 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
ialex2005i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 31
Send a message via AIM to ialex2005i
maybe I do it wrong.. But I believe that when I put it on.. I clip the front on FIRST.. then for the back corners.. I have someone hang on the corner and I just slide the plastic into place on the body, where it's suppose to go.. Works well for me.. The only problems I have is getting my fingers tore up from the velcro when I'm zipping/unzipping.. Hope it works for ya

Alex
ialex2005i is offline   Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
whiteyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasanton CA
Posts: 4,859
On the YJ, I always start from the winshield track and work to the back.
__________________
Fallen Angel...Former MOD
whiteyj is offline   Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:32 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
SouthTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Memphis
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialex2005i
maybe I do it wrong.. But I believe that when I put it on.. I clip the front on FIRST.. then for the back corners.. I have someone hang on the corner and I just slide the plastic into place on the body, where it's suppose to go.. Works well for me.. The only problems I have is getting my fingers tore up from the velcro when I'm zipping/unzipping.. Hope it works for ya

Alex

That is exactly what I was going to write down to the tore up fingers!

It is easy to hook the front so long as the back corners aren't attached yet.
__________________
SouthTJ is offline   Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:35 PM   #7
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: boise
Posts: 5
dang i wish i would have asked you guys two summers ago! its awesome, i put my top up by myself for the first time ever tonight! i love you all...now for a nice topless drive...
moreismore69 is offline   Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:34 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
409biscayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Spokane , Wash.
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreismore69
dang i wish i would have asked you guys two summers ago! its awesome, i put my top up by myself for the first time ever tonight! i love you all...now for a nice topless drive...
O.K. i've had my TJ a month , i've never had the top down yet , what is the drill ??? It's real nice weather here in Spokane as well .
__________________
98 Wrangler Sport 6 cyl 5 speed ( Sold ).
409biscayne is offline   Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 01:55 AM   #9
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 34,792
Images: 2
The only way to put the TJ's soft top up without superhuman strength is to always connect the front of the soft top to the windshield first. THEN pull the two rear corners down and snap them into the rail. If you connect the rear corners first, it's nearly impossible to connect the front of the soft top to the windshield frame.
__________________
...Gone wheeling, back Sunday night.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:52 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
ialex2005i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 31
Send a message via AIM to ialex2005i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 409biscayne
O.K. i've had my TJ a month , i've never had the top down yet , what is the drill ??? It's real nice weather here in Spokane as well .
TAKE DOWN:
Full doors Jeep: Back windows come off FIRST.. roll up rear window.. Unclamp front from windshield.. Bring top down with no problem (make sure to unhook plastic pieces on the sides nearest the windshield ).. (Watch fingers on the velcro, tends to eat away the skin)

PUT ON TOP:
Full doors Jeep: Pull top over jeep.. Attach to windshield FIRST! Then hook plastic pieces into body nearest windshield.. attach back corners onto the body of jeep.. Here's the harder part of it all.. The side back windows.. The forward part has plastic (forget this my first time) put plastic forward part in place, then attach zipper.. zip all the way down.. Attach bottom part of rear window.. do same on other side.. Oh yeah.. The rear window has a rubber slide pieces that slides into a sleeve near the rear hatch.. So roll down you back window and bring the two zippers to one side and slide in.. then just zip the zipper over and attach the 2 plastic pieces onto the body on the bottom of window!!! viola! easy haha
ialex2005i is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:20 AM   #11
Newb
 
unlimiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Posts: 3
Now try to put them side rear windows on with an Unlimited! Larger windows can be a pain in the a**. It always wants to fall and flip over as your trying to first hook the zipper. I use the velcro to hold it in place until I get the zipper started. But the work is well worth the pleasure of riding topless!
__________________
2004 Unlimited
unlimiter is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:16 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
lunneborgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 56
Maybe I missed it, but everyone is just sayin to attach the front first....that is right, but when I attach the front first I don't clamp it down all the way. Just put the hooks in, last thing I do is clamp the front down.
__________________
2006 Black Rubicon, bone stock...for now..
http://www.cardata.com/2005/jeep_wrangler_rubicon.jpg
lunneborgc is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:22 AM   #13
I got nothin'

WF Lifetime Member
 
jeeperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunneborgc
Maybe I missed it, but everyone is just sayin to attach the front first....that is right, but when I attach the front first I don't clamp it down all the way. Just put the hooks in, last thing I do is clamp the front down.
That is correct. It's the easiest way to do it! (Plus, that's what it says in the owner's manual... )
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
I like "prick".

Go ahead...quote me on that.
"Hold my beer while I kiss your girlfriend... you have to be good for something"

--Aaron Pritchett

If you have to ask what it is or what it does, you don't need it, and you will need help to install it!
jeeperman is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
409biscayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Spokane , Wash.
Posts: 58
One more question , now that i have my top down i'd like to take it off completely , the four points where the top steel supports attach to the roll bar are held on with allen head bolts , mine won't back out , i can't believe the p/o could have stripped all of them , is there a trick to these ??? I'd like to pull the top completely for the summer .
Thanks .................................. 409.
__________________
98 Wrangler Sport 6 cyl 5 speed ( Sold ).
409biscayne is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #15
I got nothin'

WF Lifetime Member
 
jeeperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by 409biscayne
One more question , now that i have my top down i'd like to take it off completely , the four points where the top steel supports attach to the roll bar are held on with allen head bolts , mine won't back out , i can't believe the p/o could have stripped all of them , is there a trick to these ??? I'd like to pull the top completely for the summer .
Thanks .................................. 409.
They are torx head bolts, not allen head. I don't know why they wouldn't back out if they are turning though... They sell billet replacement mounts for them at the usual suspects (Quadratec, 4wheelparts, etc.).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
I like "prick".

Go ahead...quote me on that.
"Hold my beer while I kiss your girlfriend... you have to be good for something"

--Aaron Pritchett

If you have to ask what it is or what it does, you don't need it, and you will need help to install it!
jeeperman is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
409biscayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Spokane , Wash.
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperman
They are torx head bolts, not allen head. I don't know why they wouldn't back out if they are turning though... They sell billet replacement mounts for them at the usual suspects (Quadratec, 4wheelparts, etc.).
Jeeperman , you are correct , t30 torx ( i've really got to get glasses ) and yes they turn easily , just don't back out . I'll try 'em again later , sure hope i don't have to drill them out .
Thanks again ........................................ 409
__________________
98 Wrangler Sport 6 cyl 5 speed ( Sold ).
409biscayne is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:31 PM   #17
I got nothin'

WF Lifetime Member
 
jeeperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by 409biscayne
Jeeperman , you are correct , t30 torx ( i've really got to get glasses ) and yes they turn easily , just don't back out . I'll try 'em again later , sure hope i don't have to drill them out .
Thanks again ........................................ 409
Not to sound too dumb, but you have tried pulling them out once you have them to the point that they aren't threading out any more right?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
I like "prick".

Go ahead...quote me on that.
"Hold my beer while I kiss your girlfriend... you have to be good for something"

--Aaron Pritchett

If you have to ask what it is or what it does, you don't need it, and you will need help to install it!
jeeperman is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
409biscayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Spokane , Wash.
Posts: 58
Jeeperman , i should have mentioned they turn but won't either loosen or tighten , that's why i think there stripped , maybe from the factory , as i don't think this top has ever been removed .
__________________
98 Wrangler Sport 6 cyl 5 speed ( Sold ).
409biscayne is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #19
I got nothin'

WF Lifetime Member
 
jeeperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by 409biscayne
Jeeperman , i should have mentioned they turn but won't either loosen or tighten , that's why i think there stripped , maybe from the factory , as i don't think this top has ever been removed .
Alrighty then! Well, I am out of ideas for you! Let us know how you get them off of there!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
I like "prick".

Go ahead...quote me on that.
"Hold my beer while I kiss your girlfriend... you have to be good for something"

--Aaron Pritchett

If you have to ask what it is or what it does, you don't need it, and you will need help to install it!
jeeperman is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Valley Ranch, TX
Posts: 58
Send a message via AIM to calpher Send a message via Yahoo to calpher
Quote:
Originally Posted by 409biscayne
One more question , now that i have my top down i'd like to take it off completely , the four points where the top steel supports attach to the roll bar are held on with allen head bolts , mine won't back out , i can't believe the p/o could have stripped all of them , is there a trick to these ??? I'd like to pull the top completely for the summer .
Thanks .................................. 409.
If you are finally able to get them out....get some soft top quick disconnects!
__________________
Chris Alpher
calpher@grandecom.net
1999 Jeep TJ Sport
2" Lift (Soon to be 4.5") on 31" MOAB's (Soon to be 33's)
calpher is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:19 PM   #21
delicate %$^&*@ flower

WF Lifetime Member
 
tiny terror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: California
Posts: 14,753
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but so many mentioned the tearing up of the fingers I thought I'd offer up my trick for an abraded free day after putting the windows back in. I use thin pieces of strapping I cut off an annoying pair of pants slipped through the zipper pull. That way my hands aren't even close to the offending velcro.

Now someone tell me how to get my doors off without screwing up my paint
tiny terror is offline   Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: dunbar
Posts: 258
409biscayne, have you tried a piar of wire cutters, not the fancy new strippers. open them up to put the head of the bolt in them as far back on it as you can. Then keep pressure on them and pry against them while turning the hex bolt. With luck it should slowly come out. I have to do this all the time at work when people strip the threads out of our equipment
mud707 is offline   Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:16 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
409biscayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Spokane , Wash.
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud707
409biscayne, have you tried a piar of wire cutters, not the fancy new strippers. open them up to put the head of the bolt in them as far back on it as you can. Then keep pressure on them and pry against them while turning the hex bolt. With luck it should slowly come out. I have to do this all the time at work when people strip the threads out of our equipment
Thanks everyone for the replies , finally just dug out the drill , worked great , now i need the quick coupler ends ya see in the catologs . Nice to have the top completely off . Thanks again .

__________________
98 Wrangler Sport 6 cyl 5 speed ( Sold ).
409biscayne is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
soft top to hard top bluebyu TJ General Discussion Forum 6 07-23-2008 11:27 AM
still confused. hard top to soft top maddmax91 YJ General Discussion Forum 2 05-31-2008 11:17 PM
Unlimited Soft Top vs Hard Top/Freedom dbldeuces3 JK General Discussion Forum 1 05-12-2008 08:45 AM
Soft top to hard top? Ettahead General Jeep Discussion 3 04-18-2008 04:34 PM
Hard top vs soft top donald YJ General Discussion Forum 22 10-03-2006 08:00 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC