I have a '97 TJ 4.0 with automatic trans. new to me that has intermittent starting issues. Every couple of days (but seems like it is getting worse) when I turn the switch everything comes on (radio, instruments, etc.) but when I turn the key to start nothing happens. There is no clicking, the starter does not try to engage, I can't hear the relay click... just silence. I have read multiple posts about this and have tried a number of the fixes with no change. It starts very easy with a screw driver between the poles on the starter.
It used to start after turning it off and on a number of times but this morning never would start without the screw driver (I replaced the switch box...see below... last night) . I drove it to work turned it off and it cranked right up.
What I have done:
- Starter relay has been replaced
- Actuator switch replaced
- The switch module (black box behind the actuator which the wire harness plugs into) replaced
- Battery poles are clean and tight
- The battery has the march and 3 stickers removed (I think this means it was installed March 2013?)
- It looks like the previous owner replaced the starter solenoid because it is nice and shiny
The only thing I have not replaced is the neutral position switch which I will do tonight however, I have tried to move the shifter when it is not starting and this does not help. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks in advance!