SYE and Driveshaft - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 338
SYE and Driveshaft

I've read that people prefer tom woods drive shafts and advance adaptors or JB SYE kits for us.

Has anyone used the SYE kit and drive shaft from Rough Country? I know there are some people who hate their lift and with that maybe their other products.


But does anyone have first hand experience with them?

I have a 00 tj 4.0" lift, np231 transfer case, g2 d44 axle. and tc drop kit.

1rbotma is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,208
Images: 2
I like Tom Wood's products & extraordinary pre and post-sales support but I haven't heard of any true problems with any of the other brands of SYE kits. If you want a RC SYE kit, it would very likely be fine.

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
homebrwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 1,085
I just installed this setup this weekend.

New Jeep Slip Yoke Elimater Extreme Short 1310 CV Driveshaft SYE 231J Cardon | eBay

Really happy with the quality of the parts.



GOPR0012 by homebrwd, on Flickr
homebrwd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,208
Images: 2
Looks good, though it doesn't look like you've lifted the pinion shaft up to the angle it needs to be at for the new CV driveshaft yet.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
homebrwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 1,085
all measurements put the pinion at 1/2 degree blow shaft angle. The fisheye of the camera may distort it a bit.
homebrwd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
mrk130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Little Ferry NJ
Posts: 90
Looks pretty.
mrk130 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
homebrwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk130 View Post
Looks pretty.
Thanks lol, not a bad looking underside for a 114000 miles.
homebrwd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I like Tom Wood's products & extraordinary pre and post-sales support but I haven't heard of any true problems with any of the other brands of SYE kits. If you want a RC SYE kit, it would very likely be fine.
ok. do i need universal snap ring plies and a puller of some sort?
1rbotma is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,208
Images: 2
You won't need a puller but yes you'll need a good set of snap-ring pliers that open extra-wide. Most snap ring pliers I've seen don't open widely enough to install a SYE kit, I had to get mine from a Matco tool truck I noticed parked at a local car dealership.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Relocatedduckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ely, NV
Posts: 323
I bought the tereflex super short sye.. And Tom woods rear drive shaft.. I LOVE the super short sye!! Great price and customer service from both tereflex and Tom woods. Even ordered the front driveshaft from Tom woods after getting the rear one in.. You can't beat the customer service!!
Relocatedduckman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,208
Images: 2
Who is this Tom Woods guy? Is he related to Tom Wood?
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 338
ok.. a set of craftsman pliers may not work... hope they do.. thanks.
1rbotma is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
homebrwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rbotma View Post
ok. do i need universal snap ring plies and a puller of some sort?
I had to use a 6in gear puller to remove my harmonic balancer.

I used Lisle 44900 lock ring pliers with no issues.
homebrwd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Relocatedduckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ely, NV
Posts: 323
I would make sure you have the pliers before pulling it.. Don't use any other pliers.. Could cause damage really quick.. Gears are not cheap to replace!!
Relocatedduckman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
mrk130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Little Ferry NJ
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrwd View Post

Thanks lol, not a bad looking underside for a 114000 miles.
Ha. I was referring specifically to your SYE and driveshaft. Looking forward to the day.
mrk130 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Some Farkin Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrwd View Post
I just installed this setup this weekend.

New Jeep Slip Yoke Elimater Extreme Short 1310 CV Driveshaft SYE 231J Cardon | eBay

Really happy with the quality of the parts.



GOPR0012 by homebrwd, on Flickr
If I'm not mistaken, it looks like you used the same company I did for my CV driveshaft. Tattons? I was really impressed with it, especially for the price.
__________________
05 TJ Sport build thread: My orange wallet lightener

Wife: "Did you pull through this parking lot just to look at another Jeep?"
Me: "Nooooooooooooo."
Some Farkin Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #17
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,574
I have a rugged ridge SYE I got from a friend, which I believe is the same one RC sells, according to the RR. It will be going in in a few weeks, I hope. I'll let you know how it is. There is a common issue with the seal, but that's a cheap and easy fix. My friend had no issue when running it on his rig.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
homebrwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Farkin Guy View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it looks like you used the same company I did for my CV driveshaft. Tattons? I was really impressed with it, especially for the price.
Yup he sells it as a kit with Extreme Short SYE.
homebrwd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Some Farkin Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 278
I forgot to mention, I'm running the RR SYE. I believe goldensahara is right that it's the same as the one RC sells. It doesn't leak a drop and was reasonably easy to install, provided you have the right tools and aren't stingy with the permatex.

Also worth noting, I couldn't find a harmonic balancer puller long enough for the rear output shaft. If yours has a harmonic balancer, either see if you have better luck than me finding a puller, or do what I did, which was get 3 long m6 (I think) bolts and use those to tighten into your old housing gradually until it pops loose enough to remove by hand. Scars up your old housing a bit, but it's not like you're going to use it again.

Good luck, and believe me, the work that goes into this is worth it. It eliminated all of the problems my transfer case drop created, worth every penny and bloody knuckle. Remember that if you get pissed off at a snap ring or two.
__________________
05 TJ Sport build thread: My orange wallet lightener

Wife: "Did you pull through this parking lot just to look at another Jeep?"
Me: "Nooooooooooooo."
Some Farkin Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Farkin Guy View Post
I forgot to mention, I'm running the RR SYE. I believe goldensahara is right that it's the same as the one RC sells. It doesn't leak a drop and was reasonably easy to install, provided you have the right tools and aren't stingy with the permatex.

Also worth noting, I couldn't find a harmonic balancer puller long enough for the rear output shaft. If yours has a harmonic balancer, either see if you have better luck than me finding a puller, or do what I did, which was get 3 long m6 (I think) bolts and use those to tighten into your old housing gradually until it pops loose enough to remove by hand. Scars up your old housing a bit, but it's not like you're going to use it again.

Good luck, and believe me, the work that goes into this is worth it. It eliminated all of the problems my transfer case drop created, worth every penny and bloody knuckle. Remember that if you get pissed off at a snap ring or two.
great! thanks for the encouragement. I seem to have a lot of vibration and I hope to get rid of that with the sye and new rear driveshaft. did it help with your vibrations?
1rbotma is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Some Farkin Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rbotma View Post
great! thanks for the encouragement. I seem to have a lot of vibration and I hope to get rid of that with the sye and new rear driveshaft. did it help with your vibrations?
The driveline vibrations were completely eliminated afterwards. It fixed multiple problems I was having. This post from my build thread details everything it fixed for me.

__________________
05 TJ Sport build thread: My orange wallet lightener

Wife: "Did you pull through this parking lot just to look at another Jeep?"
Me: "Nooooooooooooo."
Some Farkin Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC