Thermostat Housing Change - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 168
Thermostat Housing Change

Hey Everyone, I'm fairly confident I have a small coolant leak coming from my thermostat housing(keeps pooling up directly under it.) I've already changed the upper radiator hose as I thought that's where the leak was coming from, but it still has a leak. Any advice on changing this part out? Recommended brand? Should I change the thermostat while I'm at it? I've got great heat and the temp gauge is always at 210. Any input is appreciated!

__________________
2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0L ~ 107,000 miles
apannone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Sinister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 4,280
Yes change it! Make sure you clean the surfaces to the point your wife would eat off them!

__________________
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of sheep.

MY BUILD: :
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/si...ad-235526.html
Sinister6 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 168
Got it. Thanks. Just to be sure, if my water pump was leaking, I'd see it on the pavement, not pooling under the thermostat housing, right?
__________________
2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0L ~ 107,000 miles
apannone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 168
Also, a 195 thermostat right? Why would someone want to put, say, a 160 or 180 in? Just curious.
__________________
2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0L ~ 107,000 miles
apannone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
1979WagoneerLTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by apannone View Post
Also, a 195 thermostat right? Why would someone want to put, say, a 160 or 180 in? Just curious.
Because the thought that a lower-rated temp thermostat will cure an overheating condition, or allow the engine to run cooler, or ignorance of how a cooling system functions.
__________________
THE MPGp
1979WagoneerLTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
MosesTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: jackson, ga
Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by apannone View Post
Hey Everyone, I'm fairly confident I have a small coolant leak coming from my thermostat housing(keeps pooling up directly under it.) I've already changed the upper radiator hose as I thought that's where the leak was coming from, but it still has a leak. Any advice on changing this part out? Recommended brand? Should I change the thermostat while I'm at it? I've got great heat and the temp gauge is always at 210. Any input is appreciated!
i had mine leak from the upper rad hose because of the horrible stock clamp. I changed it for the screw type. make sure you tstat goes in correctly and does not slide on you or it will leak, you can use some RTV to hold it in place. Do not use paper gasket! I found it easier to undo fan, belt, and fan shroud for the reinstall.
MosesTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Sinister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979WagoneerLTD View Post
Because the thought that a lower-rated temp thermostat will cure an overheating condition, or allow the engine to run cooler, or ignorance of how a cooling system functions.
X2... use what your system requires. I'd flush the system at the same time you're changing the thermostat, use a good system flush/cleaner, Prestone makes one.
__________________
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of sheep.

MY BUILD: :
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/si...ad-235526.html
Sinister6 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 168
So before ordering a tstat and tstat housing, I wanted to check the upper radiator hose, which I replace a few months back. There did appear to be some dried up coolant. So, I replaced the clamp with a new one, the type that you tighten with a screw driver. I also made sure the hose was correctly seated/positioned before tightening. After doing all this, I started the jeep, and I can see a visible stream, albeit a small one, running down the tstat housing from the upper hose. Do I simply have a bad hose? I just bought it, so it's annoying as you can imagine. Before tonight, I never witnessed an actual coolant leak. Did I just add to my problems?
__________________
2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0L ~ 107,000 miles
apannone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Sinister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 4,280
Use a socket driver you get a better bite on the clamp...could be a bad hose but my guess is clamps not as tight as you think it is...
__________________
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of sheep.

MY BUILD: :
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/si...ad-235526.html
Sinister6 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister6 View Post
Use a socket driver you get a better bite on the clamp...could be a bad hose but my guess is clamps not as tight as you think it is...
Got it. I'll go at it in the morning. Is there such a thing as over tightening a clamp in this application?
__________________
2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0L ~ 107,000 miles
apannone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Sinister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by apannone View Post
Got it. I'll go at it in the morning. Is there such a thing as over tightening a clamp in this application?
Technically yes but that's why you use a socket "Driver" rather than a socket wrench...it's harder to over tighten using "grip strength " than using leverage from a wrench... Make sense?
__________________
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of sheep.

MY BUILD: :
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/si...ad-235526.html
Sinister6 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 168
Yes. Thanks! I'll update you tomorrow morning.
__________________
2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0L ~ 107,000 miles
apannone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2013, 04:11 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
MosesTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: jackson, ga
Posts: 1,293
If you over tighten that clamp it will just break. I had this issue and I just tightened the piss out of it!
MosesTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 168
So I guess I didn't eat my wheaties yesterday when I tightened the clamp. Tightened it more this morning and no more leak thus far. I'll continue to monitor below the tstat housing just to be sure.

Now, I have a horrible squeaking from the belt drive (one of the pulleys I'm assuming from the leaking coolant.) Is there any way to pinpoint which pulley to replace? The squeaking is only audible at about 2300 rpms and higher.
__________________
2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0L ~ 107,000 miles
apannone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 04:16 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
MosesTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: jackson, ga
Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by apannone View Post
So I guess I didn't eat my wheaties yesterday when I tightened the clamp. Tightened it more this morning and no more leak thus far. I'll continue to monitor below the tstat housing just to be sure. Now, I have a horrible squeaking from the belt drive (one of the pulleys I'm assuming from the leaking coolant.) Is there any way to pinpoint which pulley to replace? The squeaking is only audible at about 2300 rpms and higher.
tighten the tension on the belt just a touch.
MosesTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 05:06 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 168
It's a 4.0. I didn't think you could adjust the tension.
__________________
2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0L ~ 107,000 miles
apannone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #17
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Sinister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by apannone View Post
So I guess I didn't eat my wheaties yesterday when I tightened the clamp. Tightened it more this morning and no more leak thus far. I'll continue to monitor below the tstat housing just to be sure.
Wheaties good, Fruitloops bad...
__________________
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of sheep.

MY BUILD: :
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/si...ad-235526.html
Sinister6 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
MosesTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: jackson, ga
Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by apannone View Post
It's a 4.0. I didn't think you could adjust the tension.
its on the bracket that holds the power steering pump. There's a 15mm bolt.j just above the water pump. You have to loosen the small pulley before it will budge though.
MosesTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: wakarusa indiana
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosesTJ View Post
its on the bracket that holds the power steering pump. There's a 15mm bolt.j just above the water pump. You have to loosen the small pulley before it will budge though.
on a 97-99 they had adjustment, 00 to 06 you have an automatic tensioner
__________________
2010 wrangler jku sport
98 wrangler sport
sandfox4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
MosesTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: jackson, ga
Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfox4 View Post
on a 97-99 they had adjustment, 00 to 06 you have an automatic tensioner
and I now see he has 03' sorry didn't look at his vitals.

MosesTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC