This is what a bad driveline angle looks like: - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-01-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,744
This is what a bad driveline angle looks like:

Do you guys think I need a SYE?




Just FYI this is about where everything will sit with my custom tummy tuck. As you can see this would not be functional at all with the standard drive shaft and that type of DS setup.

__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
2003 wrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 313
yeah lol wow. So who you gettin the driveshaft from? Cause I reccomend Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts. Good Luck Joey.

__________________
Joey-2003 Sport 4.0 with 4 Speed 42RLE-Bright Silver Metallic- Dana 30/35- Currie 4" Lift with Antirock, Heavy Duty Rear Springs-Rancho RS9000xl with Steering Stabilizer- 33 12.5 15 Duratracs on Cragar Soft 8s 15 by 8 4 bs-AA SYE- Tom Wood Custom Driveshaft- Re1602 Tb bracket- Lightbar Summit Racing Lights- Skid Row Engine Skid.
2003 wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,966
Images: 1
Looks like you need to factor in a new muffler too. Wow.
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,744
Probably getting the drive shaft from a shop my friend has used who has given him really good service and the shaft was really nice quality.

Yes I will need a new exhaust. It's mounted to my t case but it's too big to fit there anyways because my cross member will be there. So I will have to put a little bend in over the cross member and then move things around a little. I need a new exhaust anyways, especially a muffler. The ears of the U joint yokes are completely bound up in this picture.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
hosejockey61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 1,700
You'll also need adjustable upper control arms to put your pinion angle where it needs to be. Rear track bar will ne a new relocate bracket as well. Either new shock mounts or shock mount extenders too...MML, BL, maybe something else I'm not seeing...
hosejockey61 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey61 View Post
You'll also need adjustable upper control arms to put your pinion angle where it needs to be. Rear track bar will ne a new relocate bracket as well. Either new shock mounts or shock mount extenders too...MML, BL, maybe something else I'm not seeing...

Actually not quite.... but good try! You don't need a body lift or a motor mount lift for a Tummy tuck... but I already have both anyways. Why would you need new shock mounts? The only thing you might need on a regular swap is to cut them off and reweld them.

however I am putting in an 8.8 with the artec truss, and can set and weld my pinion angle where ever I want it. So all my brackets, including the track bar axle end bracket and shock tabs will be back in stock location, and I can set my pinion to point to my tcase for the cv shaft, and I won't need adjustable control arms.

I know you didn't know that so no harm done.

It's actually very cost effective to do these two mods together.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
hosejockey61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post
Actually not quite.... but good try! You don't need a body lift or a motor mount lift for a Tummy tuck....
Depending on what belly up you do...but since I assumed you were doing a standard lift, no harm meant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post
Why would you need new shock mounts? The only thing you might need on a regular swap is to cut them off and reweld them.
Well, ok.....SHORT of any fabrication work you would need the extenders to keep your shocks out of your spring perches (or go can up)...no harm meant


Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post
however I am putting in an 8.8 with the artec truss, and can set and weld my pinion angle where ever I want it. So all my brackets, including the track bar axle end bracket and shock tabs will be back in stock location, and I can set my pinion to point to my tcase for the cv shaft, and I won't need adjustable control arms.

I know you didn't know that so no harm done.
And yeaaaaahhhhhh..... what a loaded thread to begin with! No harm meant!
hosejockey61 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey61 View Post
Depending on what belly up you do...but since I assumed you were doing a standard lift, no harm meant



Well, ok.....SHORT of any fabrication work you would need the extenders to keep your shocks out of your spring perches (or go can up)...no harm meant




And yeaaaaahhhhhh..... what a loaded thread to begin with! No harm meant!
I was thinking about trolling with the picture at first but didn't want to be that mean....

Hey you could have looked at the build thread. You don't really need a body lift, you just have to use a hammer on the tub a little....

Imped with B*tch at you for saying you "need" anything for a TT.

Valid point on the shocks. Depends how much you turn the pinion I guess.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
Wow GS.. You better get the SSYE with that angle. Even when you pivot the pinion your angles are going to be pretty steep.
__________________
Wheel. Break/Test. Repair/Upgrade. Repeat
BLK00TJ's YouTube Channel -- BLK00TJ's Build
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
hosejockey61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post
Imped with B*tch at you for saying you "need" anything for a TT.

Well look at his ride! Very capable to say the least and very impressive work. However, not everyone has the ability (physical or financial) to fabricate/weld like that lol.

The only reason I would say MML is to help out with the driveline angles, but I guess it's not technically needed/related for a tummy tuck.

Believe me, I'm no expert, but I have read over and over and over on jeep forums til my mind bleeds. It's pretty obvious to see who to take advice from and who to stay clear from! I have a list of about 15-20 members whose advice I really trust (i.e Imped, Jerry Bransford, Unlimited04 etc.)
hosejockey61 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
Wild Willys!

WF Supporting Member
 
All Terrain JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 1,828
I don't know what trans mount your using but I installed a UCF ultra high skid, JBC SS SYE, DC driveshaft, and stock trans mount. The tcase cleared the tub by 1/4". Trouble was when I installed my DS and set pinion angle it was to steep, about 24.5° at ride height. When I flexed the axle the DS bound before full droop with 25" extended length shocks and 19 3/4" DS. I had to install a lowpro mount to drop the tcase inside the skid. That is with a 4" lift. Maybe with your MML you'll be ok but you will certainly want a SS SYE.
Before lowpro.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130401_175552.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	230232

After lowpro.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130401_175738.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	230234

May not see it in the pics, but it made 3° difference and stopped my u-joint bind. Just something to keep in mind.
__________________
Mama's: '14 JKU Freedom Billet Silver, Trail Rated
Mine: '15 JK Willys Wheeler Billet Silver, Trail Ready!
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
Frame off TJ restore project
All Terrain JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
Wild Willys!

WF Supporting Member
 
All Terrain JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 1,828
Think I double posted the same pic lol. This is before.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130401_180439.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	230237
__________________
Mama's: '14 JKU Freedom Billet Silver, Trail Rated
Mine: '15 JK Willys Wheeler Billet Silver, Trail Ready!
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
Frame off TJ restore project
All Terrain JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
BrandonsJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gainesville Florida
Posts: 219
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Terrain TJ View Post
Think I double posted the same pic lol. This is before.

Attachment 230237
i was playing a game of spot the difference with the first 2 lol
__________________
|______
|l ,[____],
l---L –OlllllllO-
()_)--()_)--o-)_)
"When I Die, Bury me in my JEEP. 'Cause it's never been in a hole it couldn't get out of!"
BrandonsJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Terrain TJ View Post
I don't know what trans mount your using but I installed a UCF ultra high skid, JBC SS SYE, DC driveshaft, and stock trans mount. The tcase cleared the tub by 1/4". Trouble was when I installed my DS and set pinion angle it was to steep, about 24.5° at ride height. When I flexed the axle the DS bound before full droop with 25" extended length shocks and 19 3/4" DS. I had to install a lowpro mount to drop the tcase inside the skid. That is with a 4" lift. Maybe with your MML you'll be ok but you will certainly want a SS SYE.
Before lowpro.

After lowpro.

May not see it in the pics, but it made 3° difference and stopped my u-joint bind. Just something to keep in mind.
I have a custom separate cross member so no mount. I only have a 3 inch lift, and with the mml I should be alright. I have a friend and we just did this with his jeep and it seems good, needs a little more testing. He has a manual with a np241 however. But basically the same cross member etc.

With the custom cross member the tcase sits almost flat on the skid, it will be up about an inch away from level with the bottom of the frame. The front driveshaft output is actually more in the way than the body of the tcase. I could notch the tube for it but would prefer not to.

It's all kind of touch and go but there are various guys out there running this setup so I have a few models to go off of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey61 View Post

Well look at his ride! Very capable to say the least and very impressive work. However, not everyone has the ability (physical or financial) to fabricate/weld like that lol.

The only reason I would say MML is to help out with the driveline angles, but I guess it's not technically needed/related for a tummy tuck.

Believe me, I'm no expert, but I have read over and over and over on jeep forums til my mind bleeds. It's pretty obvious to see who to take advice from and who to stay clear from! I have a list of about 15-20 members whose advice I really trust (i.e Imped, Jerry Bransford, Unlimited04 etc.)
I just made that comment because that's usually the tune of his reply when people start using the need work. And he's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK00TJ View Post
Wow GS.. You better get the SSYE with that angle. Even when you pivot the pinion your angles are going to be pretty steep.
It actually looks worse from this angle. I already have a regular sye and it should work fine based on what I have seen and read. Between raising the pinion and getting the longer shaft on a fixed yoke it's supposed to work.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,572
"I am having driveline vibes. Does anyone know why?" -said no one ever
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table View Post
"I am having driveline vibes. Does anyone know why?" -said no one ever


That's more like an instant blown u joint.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #17
Wild Willys!

WF Supporting Member
 
All Terrain JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post

I have a custom separate cross member so no mount. I only have a 3 inch lift, and with the mml I should be alright. I have a friend and we just did this with his jeep and it seems good, needs a little more testing. He has a manual with a np241 however. But basically the same cross member etc.

With the custom cross member the tcase sits almost flat on the skid, it will be up about an inch away from level with the bottom of the frame. The front driveshaft output is actually more in the way than the body of the tcase. I could notch the tube for it but would prefer not to.
Just curious, do you use something between mount bracket and crossmember to isolate engine vibration?
I know what you mean about clearancing for front DS, I couldn't get around notching mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130401_205633.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	230350   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130401_205731.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	230352  

__________________
Mama's: '14 JKU Freedom Billet Silver, Trail Rated
Mine: '15 JK Willys Wheeler Billet Silver, Trail Ready!
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
Frame off TJ restore project
All Terrain JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #18
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,744
That's just your skid ill show you how the actually cross member tucks up so close to the output. I may have to trim my skid too.

The crossmember has bushings at either end where it bolts to tabs welded to the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-977686248.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	230403  

__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC