Throttle Body Causing Whistling Noise? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 29
Throttle Body Causing Whistling Noise?

Hi All,

I've had this whistling noise creep up when I accelerate over 50mph, and the faster I go, the louder it seems. Sometimes it with go away briefly, then whistle again/squeel again brielf. I can almost control it with the gas pedal. Also, from a stop, if I stomp on it, it will squeel. I thought it may have been a serpantine belt so I took it in the dealer to get it looked at. They told it was a throttle body assembly which was causing the noise.

Has anyone had that issue? Does that sound familiar?

In any regard, they told it would cost $511 to replace it, not including tax, which seems ridiculous. At that point, I'm considering doing it myself. If it is indeed the throttle body assembly, anyone recommend a good "how to" video, or link for replacing one?

I can get a replacement part online for less than half that cost.

Thanks!!

Jordan

jordan.cook is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
HarryJeepGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan.cook
Hi All,

I've had this whistling noise creep up when I accelerate over 50mph, and the faster I go, the louder it seems. Sometimes it with go away briefly, then whistle again/squeel again brielf. I can almost control it with the gas pedal. Also, from a stop, if I stomp on it, it will squeel. I thought it may have been a serpantine belt so I took it in the dealer to get it looked at. They told it was a throttle body assembly which was causing the noise.

Has anyone had that issue? Does that sound familiar?

In any regard, they told it would cost $511 to replace it, not including tax, which seems ridiculous. At that point, I'm considering doing it myself. If it is indeed the throttle body assembly, anyone recommend a good "how to" video, or link for replacing one?

I can get a replacement part online for less than half that cost.

Thanks!!

Jordan
Throttle body spacers can cause a whistle/squeal sound. If you don't have one and it's your actual TB causing it, try tightening it down. It's been a while since I've had mine off, but I think there is a gasket between the TB and intake manifold. It may need cleaned or replaced. Even if the TB needed replaced (I don't see how), that price is a rip-off. I'm not sure on a video but it's pretty straight forward, not much to it.

HarryJeepGuy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 32,017
Images: 2
Four bolts hold the throttle body to the intake manifold which is aluminum... I would be extremely careful about tightening the bolts too hard which can strip the threads. I would instead remove the throttle body, which is very easy, and examine its gasket for damage. The gasket might just be leaking.
__________________
Remember that having a different opinion doesn't also require one to be a jerk when expressing it.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 768
Is your idle higher than normal?
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
03rubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 121
My wife had a TJ once that did that. A previous owner had cut the snorkel off the air box and when I put a new air box on it went away!
03rubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
hosejockey61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 1,301
I just pulled the throttle body spacer off of mine and sold it (it came with the Jeep).

If you aren't sure if your gasket is good or not, get a new one anyway. It only cost me $2. The only other thing I can think of is to make sure the air intake is secured tightly to the throttle body.
hosejockey61 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 29
Thank you for the reply guys.

SevereDistortion, the idel is fine, at least it seems that way. If it's idling any higher than it normally should it's not enough to really notice. I'll keep a close eye on it today.

I'll be sure to check the gasket...certainly less expensive to replace.

Could it be a leak somewhere in the air intake system, before the throttle body?
jordan.cook is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
The_Crawfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rockingham Co
Posts: 20
I had the same noise from mine. I ended up finding a vac hose on the under side of intake had poped off.
The_Crawfather is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crawfather View Post
I had the same noise from mine. I ended up finding a vac hose on the under side of intake had poped off.
Wow...if I could only be so lucky! I'll climb under with a flash light today to take a look.

I can almost control the noise with the press of the gas pedal at 60 mph so something with the throttle body makes sense.
jordan.cook is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
obidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 1,527
do you have an aftermarket intake, or are you all stock?
__________________
Black 97 Sahara 4.0L 5 Speed - Fully Cloak'd
1.75" BL with 35"x12.5" Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar 10k Engo winch
obidya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
bobjenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,646
Ive got this same exact issue, Im gunna look around in it later on and see. I just cleaned the throttle body and installed a new TPS Im thinking I may have accidentally pulled a vacuum line out or something
bobjenkins is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by obidya View Post
do you have an aftermarket intake, or are you all stock?
All stock except for a dirty K&N air filter that needs to be cleaned.
jordan.cook is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 29
I just poke around the Throttle Body and everything looks to be connected, no loose or disconnected vaccuum lines. The bolts holding the throttle body down and tight, nothing loose there either. It'd be hard to imagine a failed gasket, it's looks as tight as a nun in a cold shower.

I might just get a bottle of cleaner and a K&N recharge kit this weekend and try to get some of the gunk out of there to see if that cleans things up or mitigates the noise. If that does work...a gasket kit...then I guess a new Throttle Body, unless you smart guys have some more input.

Could a bad TPS cause this?

I do appreciate the insight...this forum rocks!
jordan.cook is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 768
If you had a leak in the throttle body (or anywhere) loud enough to make a whistle that you can hear going 60mph your idle would be insanely high. I would look at your belt, tensioner and idler despite what the shop said. So check the belts tension then remove it and look for cracks....turn the idler and tensioner pulley by hand.
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 29
So now the guys are telling me the whistling noise is coming from the front crank seal after calling them out about the air leak causing bigger issues. He said they cleaned and lubricated the seal at no charge and that seems to have fixed the problem...can't wait to pick it up to see this for myself.

How the hell could a front crank seal cause a whistling noise when driving? *sigh*
jordan.cook is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
bobjenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan.cook View Post
So now the guys are telling me the whistling noise is coming from the front crank seal after calling them out about the air leak causing bigger issues. He said they cleaned and lubricated the seal at no charge and that seems to have fixed the problem...can't wait to pick it up to see this for myself.

How the hell could a front crank seal cause a whistling noise when driving? *sigh*
anything is possible when the shop wants your money
bobjenkins is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 29
Exactly...the higher pitched whistle seems to have subsided but the squeel is still present. I guess it's possible that air is indeed coming in through the shaft port (the throttle cable that pulls the internal flap up..that shaft), which does feel loose. I'm still not sold...the throttle body is fairly easy to fix and a good upgrade so it's not the worst expense. I can guarentee I won't be going to that dealer.

If the replacement fixes the issue I'll update this post but for now, thank you everyone for your input, comments and reccomendations!

Warm Regards,

Jordan
jordan.cook is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #18
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 32,017
Images: 2
Get the whistle to occur while you have the hood up & engine running & spray something like throttle body cleaner at the suspected source of the whistle. If the whistle stops when you spray the cleaner at the suspected point of the whistle, that should confirm your suspicion.
__________________
Remember that having a different opinion doesn't also require one to be a jerk when expressing it.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
03ShaleGreenSahara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan.cook View Post
So now the guys are telling me the whistling noise is coming from the front crank seal after calling them out about the air leak causing bigger issues. He said they cleaned and lubricated the seal at no charge and that seems to have fixed the problem...can't wait to pick it up to see this for myself.

How the hell could a front crank seal cause a whistling noise when driving? *sigh*
Good thing they didn't charge you. I have nearly 20 years experience as a mechanic and I've NEVER heard a crank seal squeak or know how the hell they would even clean and lube one. Sounds like you need a new shop.

On my 03 I have a similar whistle noise that I can duplicate when pressing the gas pedal. It seems to happen at a very small range. Engine RPMs are not the constant, it's the throttle opening that doesn't change when the noise occurs.

I've done a quick survey of my air intake tubes, PCV hose, and vacuum lines but haven't seen anything that I would consider suspect. If I find anything this weekend I'll certainly post my results then.

Good luck, I hope you solve your noise issue.


BTW... I first noticed the noise after the engine overheated. My bad there... I was sitting at idle with the AC on when it was over 100 degrees outside this past summer.
03ShaleGreenSahara is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 60
My 2006 Rubicon is doing the exact same thing, same exact speed, same results when accelerating. It has been very cold the last few weekends I have been out, -20 before wind chill so I was thinking the cold had something to do with it, my noise seemed to go away after it "warmed up" 5-15 above. The first time it happened it scared me, I almost turned around and went home...really did not want have to walk home at -20.
Can anyone show a picture of the throttle body and maybe where to look for the leak?
Jowilly is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowilly View Post
My 2006 Rubicon is doing the exact same thing, same exact speed, same results when accelerating. It has been very cold the last few weekends I have been out, -20 before wind chill so I was thinking the cold had something to do with it, my noise seemed to go away after it "warmed up" 5-15 above. The first time it happened it scared me, I almost turned around and went home...really did not want have to walk home at -20.
Can anyone show a picture of the throttle body and maybe where to look for the leak?
Wow...I live in Tampa and it's been 80+ the last week or so...no change really, no matter the temperature.
jordan.cook is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 29
Finally was able to determine the root cause of the squeeling noises that I've been encountering. The fan clutch was siezed and the bearings in the tensioner were failing. Both items were fixed and the noises and subsided. Finally feels good to drive down the road at 55+ without a single whistle. Thank god!
jordan.cook is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 22
Jordan.cook, what jeep do you have. Iv been following this thread and many others tracking this same noise down. My is like you describe too and Im guessing I need to look at my fan clutch.

I see this thread is dead but it was worth a shot,...
tjnewbe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
SpringRubiconTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ShaleGreenSahara View Post
Good thing they didn't charge you. I have nearly 20 years experience as a mechanic and I've NEVER heard a crank seal squeak or know how the hell they would even clean and lube one. Sounds like you need a new shop.

On my 03 I have a similar whistle noise that I can duplicate when pressing the gas pedal. It seems to happen at a very small range. Engine RPMs are not the constant, it's the throttle opening that doesn't change when the noise occurs.

I've done a quick survey of my air intake tubes, PCV hose, and vacuum lines but haven't seen anything that I would consider suspect. If I find anything this weekend I'll certainly post my results then.

Good luck, I hope you solve your noise issue.


BTW... I first noticed the noise after the engine overheated. My bad there... I was sitting at idle with the AC on when it was over 100 degrees outside this past summer.
My 04 Rubi is doing this as well. Just sounds like a tea kettle at slight throttle range under load. If anyone finds it, i would sure like to know. Have been replacing vacuum lines, idler pully, tensioner pully, serp belt..........
SpringRubiconTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Gliderjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Drexel Hill, PA
Posts: 134
Similar problem with my '97 TJ. Started this winter. It starts once the engine begins to get warm then almost disappears once it gets warm. Almost goes away when the gas pedal is depressed but comes back when I back off the pedal. Open the hood to look for the problem and it goes away. My mechanic couldn't find it. They checked the TB gasket, sprayed cleaner in the TB and tightened everything connected to it. I cleaned the IAC (as recommended by others on this forum) and further checked everything and still can't locate the problem. It's driving me nuts.

Gliderjohn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC