Today - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
adamfitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 600
Today

Hey guys. I avoided the jeep problems until today and them seem to have multiplied. I was driving and all of a sudden lost all power steering brakes and the whole deal. The engine simply say revving really high. Automatically turned off the engine and rolled my way as close to home as I could. Got out. Saw the serpentine belt behind me and figure it had broke. To open the good I found this thing broken( see photo) what is it? Also why would there have been oil and gasoline all the way behind me. I lost a full tank of gas almost. What happened? What all needs to be replaced?

In frustration of my mom towing me back. Thank you mom I love you. She hung up on me. While taking a turn my steering wheel locked and my mother continued to drive forward. Since she hung up on me I had no way to shout. Beginning to fall into the ditch with her not paying attention I panicked and hit the windshield causing an insanely large crack across the entire windshield. Of course after I hit it she stopped. So not a great day here for my Jeep


adamfitz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
adamfitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 600
http://flic.kr/p/id78yb


Photos in the link

adamfitz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Plowboy1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Burlington WI
Posts: 1,187
Power steering pump died
Plowboy1970 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
adamfitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy1970 View Post
Power steering pump died
So I need a whole new pump?
adamfitz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,472
Images: 2
Very high engine rpms coupled with no power brakes indicates a major engine vacuum leak. Is the black rubber hose that connects the power brake booster to the intake manifold connected and leak free?

And yep from your photos, your power steering pump is toast.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
adamfitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Very high engine rpms coupled with no power brakes indicates a major engine vacuum leak. Is the black rubber hose that connects the power brake booster to the intake manifold connected and leak free?
Well the serpentine belt fell off as well so I think that was the issue or am I wrong?
adamfitz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,472
Images: 2
That won't cause high engine rpms and loss of braking.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
idiot magnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 532
I just changed one of those on my friends Jeep on Saturday. Her pulley was completely gone but the belt was still under the hood. Picked up one for cheap at a local junkyard and it is working great again. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market has local junkyards with prices and distances from where you live.
Like Jerry said make sure your hose is connected to the brake booster.
Next time get someone that knows how to tow a vehicle.
Did you not have a working horn?
idiot magnet is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
adamfitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot magnet View Post
I just changed one of those on my friends Jeep on Saturday. Her pulley was completely gone but the belt was still under the hood. Picked up one for cheap at a local junkyard and it is working great again. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market has local junkyards with prices and distances from where you live. Like Jerry said make sure your hose is connected to the brake booster. Next time get someone that knows how to tow a vehicle. Did you not have a working horn?
Yeah we had to tow my sisters car yesterday so I know how to tow and such. It happens unfortunately but oh well. Where is the brake booster and which hose is it?
adamfitz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
idiot magnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 532
The booster is mounted on the firewall on the drivers side behind the master cylinder which has all of your brake lines hooked up to it. It's approximately 10" in diameter and 3-4 inches deep and it's black with a 1/2" thick hose coming off of it connecting to your intake manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfitz View Post
In frustration of my mom towing me back. Thank you mom I love you. She hung up on me. While taking a turn my steering wheel locked and my mother continued to drive forward. Since she hung up on me I had no way to shout. Beginning to fall into the ditch with her not paying attention
It sounds like you know how to tow but that quality doesn't run in the family.
idiot magnet is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
adamfitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot magnet View Post
The booster is mounted on the firewall on the drivers side behind the master cylinder which has all of your brake lines hooked up to it. It's approximately 10" in diameter and 3-4 inches deep and it's black with a 1/2" thick hose coming off of it connecting to your intake manifold. It sounds like you know how to tow but that quality doesn't run in the family.
Really appreciate the help. I'll double check that now. And :lol it happens to the best.

adamfitz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC