Tricks to getting well nuts out of ac condenser?? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
DNKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Independence MO
Posts: 248
Tricks to getting well nuts out of ac condenser??

well I started removing things in prep to take the grille out. Ran into the 4 well nuts that hold the ac condenser onto the grill. They just spin. I tried to grip the top ones through the grill slots with pliers and ended up ripping the rubber off. This let me pry up enough on them to get the top ones out. The bottom two however I dunno how I'm going to get to them.. Any tips would be appreciated..

DNKC is offline   Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Black Magic Brakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNKC View Post
well I started removing things in prep to take the grille out. Ran into the 4 well nuts that hold the ac condenser onto the grill. They just spin. I tried to grip the top ones through the grill slots with pliers and ended up ripping the rubber off. This let me pry up enough on them to get the top ones out. The bottom two however I dunno how I'm going to get to them.. Any tips would be appreciated..
You basically have it figured out. Grab them with vise grips until the rubber shears off of the brass insert and then grab it to get the bolt out.

__________________
I am Savvy, I am the brake Wizard.
Black Magic Brakes is online now   Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Yipeee Kay Ayyy

WF Supporting Member
 
Wesboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,187
I can't remember how I got mine out but I know I destroyed them in the process.
I've been looking for replacements ever since.
Does anyone even know what they are called.
I was going to use regular bolts but thought there must be a damn good reason to use those bolt/rivet/grommet/nutcert things.

I currently have the aircon condenser 'sandwiched' between the radiator and the back of the grill with some strips of rubber.
It's held up OK like that but I'd to get the correct replacement fasteners.
__________________
97 TJ Sport 4.0L Auto RHD
Wesboy is offline   Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Black Magic Brakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesboy View Post
I can't remember how I got mine out but I know I destroyed them in the process.
I've been looking for replacements ever since.
Does anyone even know what they are called.
I was going to use regular bolts but thought there must be a damn good reason to use those bolt/rivet/grommet/nutcert things.

I currently have the aircon condenser 'sandwiched' between the radiator and the back of the grill with some strips of rubber.
It's held up OK like that but I'd to get the correct replacement fasteners.
They are called rubber well nuts. I believe this is the correct size. 1/4-20 for a 1/2" hole.

1/4" - 20 Rubber Well Nuts
__________________
I am Savvy, I am the brake Wizard.
Black Magic Brakes is online now   Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Yipeee Kay Ayyy

WF Supporting Member
 
Wesboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes View Post
They are called rubber well nuts. I believe this is the correct size. 1/4-20 for a 1/2" hole.

1/4" - 20 Rubber Well Nuts
Thanks a million.
I had almost given up on finding the correct fasteners.
__________________
97 TJ Sport 4.0L Auto RHD
Wesboy is offline   Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
DNKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Independence MO
Posts: 248
I didnt get up underneath it tonight like I was hoping to to take a look at the bottom two bolts. So I haven't made much progress. Probably going to be friday evening before I do. Hopefully there is some sort of access that I didn't see initially to get pliers or vice grips in there to hang on to them.

BMBRakes is correct. They are called well-nuts and I'm pretty sure most auto parts places should have some.

Just for reference the part book for my '03 lists the size as .25-20x.63 for the well nuts and .25-20x.75 for the hex head bolt.
DNKC is offline   Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Black Magic Brakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNKC View Post
I didnt get up underneath it tonight like I was hoping to to take a look at the bottom two bolts. So I haven't made much progress. Probably going to be friday evening before I do. Hopefully there is some sort of access that I didn't see initially to get pliers or vice grips in there to hang on to them.

BMBRakes is correct. They are called well-nuts and I'm pretty sure most auto parts places should have some.

Just for reference the part book for my '03 lists the size as .25-20x.63 for the well nuts and .25-20x.75 for the hex head bolt.
That means the size I gave him is incorrect. They should be 1/4-20 x 5/8" hole according to your list. I picked my supply up at a hardware store that carries the Auveco line.
__________________
I am Savvy, I am the brake Wizard.
Black Magic Brakes is online now   Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Yipeee Kay Ayyy

WF Supporting Member
 
Wesboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,187
I've already ordered 1/4-20 for a 1/2" hole.
One thing I can say about Clips and Fasteners.com - they are FAST - rubber well nuts are already in the post.
No harm done, I'm just happy to finally know what to look for.
And you never know, they may be the right size for my 97
__________________
97 TJ Sport 4.0L Auto RHD
Wesboy is offline   Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Black Magic Brakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesboy View Post
I've already ordered 1/4-20 for a 1/2" hole.
One thing I can say about Clips and Fasteners.com - they are FAST - rubber well nuts are already in the post.
No harm done, I'm just happy to finally know what to look for.
And you never know, they may be the right size for my 97
I measured the hole in the grill today and it is indeed 1/2" so I was mistaken about being mistaken.
__________________
I am Savvy, I am the brake Wizard.
Black Magic Brakes is online now   Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
DNKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Independence MO
Posts: 248
i think the .63 refers to the length of the well nut..?
DNKC is offline   Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Black Magic Brakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNKC View Post
i think the .63 refers to the length of the well nut..?
I think they incorrectly measured the small shoulder that stops it from dropping through the 1/2" hole. I don't believe they are shorter than 3/4" or so.
__________________
I am Savvy, I am the brake Wizard.
Black Magic Brakes is online now   Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Sccafire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 82 miles from the Rubicon Trail
Posts: 838
Just leaving this here for future reference and for those who actually use the search function. The part number from Jeep is J4003120. The size is .25-20x.63 well nut.

Just trying to help.
__________________
Scott
Sccafire is online now   Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #13
Yipeee Kay Ayyy

WF Supporting Member
 
Wesboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes View Post
They are called rubber well nuts. I believe this is the correct size. 1/4-20 for a 1/2" hole.

1/4" - 20 Rubber Well Nuts
Thanks for the tip
Just put these in.
It's only a little thing but it feels good to have the AC condenser secured with the correct fasteners again.

__________________
97 TJ Sport 4.0L Auto RHD
Wesboy is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC