Tummy Tuck w/o Body Lift??? - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
lovemachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 377
I don't know if I can afford a tummy tuck, but I am planning on doing the SYE to get rid of the nasty hulk under my jeep.

lovemachine is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #32
Jeeper
 
HotTotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
I have but I don't want to trade 1 inch of frame lift for an inch of body lift to get back the extra 1 inch of skid. It seems like I would just drop 1 inch and regain it with the extra tummy lift. If I leave it 4 inch and have everything massaged to work with the tuck then I don't lose anything and gain everything. But it will cost more to do it that way..Nothing touches right now on 35's.
I gotcha. That's a nice looking rig. You might look into the lopro mount by UCG mentioned in this thread with their original extra clearance skid. it looks like a nice option. i think i've decided on the bl and ultra high clearance package b/c i wanna run the 2.5 OME lift and will need a body lift to clear 33 in tires

HotTotty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #33
Jeeper
 
larjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: new jersey
Posts: 1,041
I have a 3" bds with 11/2 Jks body lift. With 33" tires. With rokeman skid. They sell this skid for no bl. You just have to work sht out. I wanted it right so bl and mml.
larjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #34
Jeeper
 
HotTotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by larjeep View Post
I have a 3" bds with 11/2 Jks body lift. With 33" tires. With rokeman skid. They sell this skid for no bl. You just have to work sht out. I wanted it right so bl and mml.
How's the flex and ride? I was planning on an OME lift but i like BDS had a 3.5" bds on my old xj that was sweet flexed like crazy but i've heard the bds springs for the tj/lj are kinda stiff
HotTotty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
larjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: new jersey
Posts: 1,041
The lift is great. I have Johnny joint upper control arms so it flex nice. The springs are especially what they are known for for.
larjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #36
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,270
"Flex" is purely a function of shock length.

That subject is absurdly misunderstood and blown out of proportion in terms of importance.
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #37
Jeeper
 
HotTotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
"Flex" is purely a function of shock length.

That subject is absurdly misunderstood and blown out of proportion in terms of importance.
Yes "flex" (uptravel, droop) can be limited by shock length but it is not "purely" a function of shock length. How well a vehicle flexes is affected by other things such as control arm joints, spring rate, leaf vs coil springs on other vehicles, etc. I was simply asking how well the BDS kit he installed behaved on and offroad in his opinion.
HotTotty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
larjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: new jersey
Posts: 1,041
He's a pro don't you know that. Haha
larjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
HotTotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by larjeep View Post
He's a pro don't you know that. Haha
haha i know it! i've read a lot of his posts, but i'm no greenhorn i've had a few offroad rigs myself (couple of cherokees, a k5 blazer, 79 f250, 48 willys) this is my first wrangler though so just gathering as much info as i can before i start sinking my $$$ into it haha. I just didn't want any newb reading this thread to go grab 4 shocks with 20 inches of travel or something and try and slap them on a stock jeep and try and run with the big boys haha. I like your jeep mine is a black rubi unlimited as well i'm trying to decide what setup i want. thinking I'm gonna get a 2" or probably 2.5" ome kit from dpg and either adjustable control arms from metalcloak or currie's johnny joint's with a 1" bl and the UCF tummy tuck and full skids. I'm thinking about metalcloak overline fenders but I like the keeping the stock look so that will be on down the road regardless.
HotTotty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #40
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTotty View Post
Yes "flex" (uptravel, droop) can be limited by shock length but it is not "purely" a function of shock length. How well a vehicle flexes is affected by other things such as control arm joints, spring rate, leaf vs coil springs on other vehicles, etc. I was simply asking how well the BDS kit he installed behaved on and offroad in his opinion.
Once you understand what I'm saying, it'll all make much more sense. In the very end, with all else being removed from the equation, the shock is the ultimate limiter. I always assume a proper suspension where the control arms and other factors don't ever limit the suspension before the shocks. One must make such assumptions to keep the water clear.

Also, he said he has a "3" BDS". That tells me springs and shocks only, not BDS's crappy poly-bushings control arms. If he has the stock control arms, which I assumed he does, then the shocks are indeed the limiter. So the "flex" is just as good as any other rig with the same shock length. That's my point entirely. There are better, more valuable questions one could ask about a particular suspension setup than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larjeep View Post
He's a pro don't you know that. Haha
Feel free to contribute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTotty View Post
haha i know it! i've read a lot of his posts, but i'm no greenhorn i've had a few offroad rigs myself (couple of cherokees, a k5 blazer, 79 f250, 48 willys) this is my first wrangler though so just gathering as much info as i can before i start sinking my $$$ into it haha. I just didn't want any newb reading this thread to go grab 4 shocks with 20 inches of travel or something and try and slap them on a stock jeep and try and run with the big boys haha.
I would understand this post if my post even remotely resembled it. It doesn't.
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #41
Jeeper
 
HotTotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Once you understand what I'm saying, it'll all make much more sense. In the very end, with all else being removed from the equation, the shock is the ultimate limiter. I always assume a proper suspension where the control arms and other factors don't ever limit the suspension before the shocks. One must make such assumptions to keep the water clear.

Also, he said he has a "3" BDS". That tells me springs and shocks only, not BDS's crappy poly-bushings control arms. If he has the stock control arms, which I assumed he does, then the shocks are indeed the limiter. So the "flex" is just as good as any other rig with the same shock length. That's my point entirely. There are better, more valuable questions one could ask about a particular suspension setup than that.

Feel free to contribute.


I would understand this post if my post even remotely resembled it. It doesn't.
I understand what you're saying perfectly. I know you know a lot about Jeeps so don't get you're panties in a wad. As far as not understanding my post work on you're reading comprehension. I have been around offroad vehicles all my life. I simply listed a few that I've had and stated that I simply replied to your previous post so clarify that much more goes into a suspension setup than just shocks. I know you were not suggesting in the least that all an off road vehicle needs is shocks. If you had said, "With a proper suspension system setup the shock length will be the limiting factor on flex." I wouldn't have said anything. Now, with all that said I would like to get your opinion on how you would set up a suspension system like I'm planning on running. I would like about 2-3" suspension lift, 1" BL w/ a 11" MML (to allow the tummy tuck). What springs, shocks, control arms, discos/antirock, other modifications would you suggest for 33" tires on a vehicle that is a DD as well as a capable rig.
Thank you and everyone else for your input on this thread.
HotTotty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #42
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,270
I assure you, my reading comprehension is up to snuff. Nowhere did I state to slap some stupid long shocks onto a vehicle that's not even remotely capable of supporting the travel they offer. That's not at all what my initial post on the subject was stating, implying, or anything otherwise.

As for your question on your suspension, that could be a very short answer, a very long one, or something in between. Are you sticking with stock suspension mounts? Budget?

I'll also assume you meant 1" MML.
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #43
Jeeper
 
HotTotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I assure you, my reading comprehension is up to snuff. Nowhere did I state to slap some stupid long shocks onto a vehicle that's not even remotely capable of supporting the travel they offer. That's not at all what my initial post on the subject was stating, implying, or anything otherwise.

As for your question on your suspension, that could be a very short answer, a very long one, or something in between. Are you sticking with stock suspension mounts? Budget?

I'll also assume you meant 1" MML.
Haha yeah typo 1" MML don't need the motor sticking out of the hood. Let's go with something in between. Probably sticking with stock mounts. Budget is not a huge issue, I'm wearing out the stock tires so it'll be a couple months before i really start. But back to budget i wanna get the right parts and do it correctly the first time so if I need to save a little longer to get the parts I want so be it.
HotTotty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #44
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,270
Well, considering you've been doing this for a while I probably don't have to go into explaining the technical reasoning for torsion-style sway bars such as the Currie AR. But IMO, it should be a no-brainer if you intend for the TJ to see on and offroad action, especially if you appreciate stability.

Just go with quality stuff. I like Currie 3" springs, Currie or MC arms and track bars, and Currie sway bars. As for shocks, I'd take a look at the adjustable Ranchos, Bilsteins and the Savvy-tuned Fox's and make a decision. The Fox's will be the best but are the most expensive by a good margin. The Currie 3" springs will support an 11" shock so don't try to squeeze out more.....if you want to optimize shock travel, the stock rear mounts will have to go bye-bye, at a minimum.
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #45
Jeeper
 
HotTotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Well, considering you've been doing this for a while I probably don't have to go into explaining the technical reasoning for torsion-style sway bars such as the Currie AR. But IMO, it should be a no-brainer if you intend for the TJ to see on and offroad action, especially if you appreciate stability.

Just go with quality stuff. I like Currie 3" springs, Currie or MC arms and track bars, and Currie sway bars. As for shocks, I'd take a look at the adjustable Ranchos, Bilsteins and the Savvy-tuned Fox's and make a decision. The Fox's will be the best but are the most expensive by a good margin. The Currie 3" springs will support an 11" shock so don't try to squeeze out more.....if you want to optimize shock travel, the stock rear mounts will have to go bye-bye, at a minimum.

Thank you that's what i had in mind. I'll probably stick with a short arm setup initially and if I decide I want to go long arm eventually there are plenty of companies that would love to sell me some I'm sure. HAHA.
Cheers, thanks for the input.
HotTotty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #46
Jeeper
 
Mulvihill64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTotty View Post
Thank you that's what i had in mind. I'll probably stick with a short arm setup initially and if I decide I want to go long arm eventually there are plenty of companies that would love to sell me some I'm sure. HAHA.
Cheers, thanks for the input.
Why would you go for a longarm setup? Do you enjoy getting hung up on your lowers all day?
Mulvihill64 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #47
Jeeper
 
larjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: new jersey
Posts: 1,041
I am running rokeman arms on my rig. With a flex Joint in the ends. FYI. But u will want to change out at least the lowers if u go to a 3" just to push axle back in right place etc. even fixed bds etc are better then stocks
larjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #48
Jeeper
 
HotTotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvihill64 View Post
Why would you go for a longarm setup? Do you enjoy getting hung up on your lowers all day?
I just said I'll probably get short arms. If i do decide that the short arms don't have enough travel and decide to change i'll most likely do some sort of custom mid arm setup to prevent getting hung up on the lower arms.
HotTotty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #49
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by larjeep View Post
I am running rokeman arms on my rig. With a flex Joint in the ends. FYI. But u will want to change out at least the lowers if u go to a 3" just to push axle back in right place etc. even fixed bds etc are better then stocks
Stock arms are severly underated. They offer a ton of flex that only a few joints on the market can match, even with their rubber bushings.

Even with bds higher end arms you are stuck with a poly bushing and a flex joint, knock off jj, per arm.
Ironhead Jed is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #50
Jeeper
 
HotTotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by larjeep View Post
I am running rokeman arms on my rig. With a flex Joint in the ends. FYI. But u will want to change out at least the lowers if u go to a 3" just to push axle back in right place etc. even fixed bds etc are better then stocks
Thanks I'll be getting some type of adjustable arms to dial in all the angles anyway haven't decided what brand yet
HotTotty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #51
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvihill64 View Post
Why would you go for a longarm setup? Do you enjoy getting hung up on your lowers all day?
You realize that a suspension with longer-than-stock arms can be built that has better clearance than stock, right? Sure, bolt-on kits from RE and RC lose some serious clearance but that's not the end-all, be-all. Far from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larjeep View Post
I am running rokeman arms on my rig. With a flex Joint in the ends. FYI. But u will want to change out at least the lowers if u go to a 3" just to push axle back in right place etc. even fixed bds etc are better then stocks
Rokmen. Currie JJ's. Good stuff and better than stock.

BDS. Not so much.
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #52
Jeeper
 
HotTotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 119
Imped,

Would you recommend the metalcloaks or currie control arms. I've heard both are quality products just wondering which you would go with if they were the same price
HotTotty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #53
Jeeper
 
Mulvihill64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
You realize that a suspension with longer-than-stock arms can be built that has better clearance than stock, right? Sure, bolt-on kits from RE and RC lose some serious clearance but that's not the end-all, be-all. Far from it.
Yes i realize that, and plan on doing this at some point hopefully. I didnt pick up on the sarcasm when he mentioned companies selling LA kits.
Mulvihill64 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #54
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTotty View Post
Imped,

Would you recommend the metalcloaks or currie control arms. I've heard both are quality products just wondering which you would go with if they were the same price
Read my review on JF and decide for yourself. Both are great products.

Personally, I'm loving my MC bushings right now.

__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
body lift , rubicon , tummy tuck , unlimited

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC