Urgent help needed - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Harvctry27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Shore
Posts: 86
Urgent help needed

Hey guys I need some help I have a wire that comes out of main wire controls for dash behind steering wheel that is with the Grey clips wire bundle. It controls all my dash lights and running lights but said wire came unplugged and now I don't know where to clip it back in or anything could anyone help me or am I screwed

Harvctry27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 33,146
Images: 2
Are you certain it was connected before? There are all kinds of wire connectors scattered around our Jeeps for options/configurations we don't have so they are never connected to anything.

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Harvctry27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Shore
Posts: 86
Yes because my dash lights don't work and my running lights since it became undone
Harvctry27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Harvctry27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Shore
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Are you certain it was connected before? There are all kinds of wire connectors scattered around our Jeeps for options/configurations we don't have so they are never connected to anything.
See above
Harvctry27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
GabeTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Terryville CT
Posts: 230
Possibly connects behind the fuse box, which is behind glove box. Fuse 4..? Bottom right one. Or it could be connected to that pull lever for the headlights to come on.
GabeTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
GabeTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Terryville CT
Posts: 230
If you're already past that, keep searching. Just try not to set the airbag off on yourself if you open it all up
GabeTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Harvctry27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Shore
Posts: 86
It's right behind the steering wheel in the cluster of wires behind there.
Harvctry27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
GabeTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Terryville CT
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvctry27 View Post
It's right behind the steering wheel in the cluster of wires behind there.
Dear lord lol
GabeTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Harvctry27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Shore
Posts: 86
Literally it's one little wire ill get pictures in the morning but I just can't find where it plugs into so now my dash doesn't light up or running lights but when you take the plug and touch the back of the wires the dashboard and lights turn on so I don't know what to do
Harvctry27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
GabeTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Terryville CT
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvctry27 View Post
Literally it's one little wire ill get pictures in the morning but I just can't find where it plugs into so now my dash doesn't light up or running lights but when you take the plug and touch the back of the wires the dashboard and lights turn on so I don't know what to do
Does it look like there was ever a spot for the wire to be mounted there? Maybe the clip that held it on snapped off?
GabeTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2013, 02:19 AM   #11
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: seattle
Posts: 7
Sounds as if your talking about the large grey harness that plugs into your combo switch area, visible when you remove the upper column cover. Does the end of the wire have a small metal clip at the end? Might have just wiggled its way out if the grey connector up there. That harness does operate dash lights, and exterior lighting.
03rubi4u2nv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Harvctry27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Shore
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rubi4u2nv View Post
Sounds as if your talking about the large grey harness that plugs into your combo switch area, visible when you remove the upper column cover. Does the end of the wire have a small metal clip at the end? Might have just wiggled its way out if the grey connector up there. That harness does operate dash lights, and exterior lighting.
Yes it does have a small clip it's a little black wire with yellow line if anyone could look and see where it leads to for me
Harvctry27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Fullback40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 194
If nothing else go look at a chiton repair manual or google it
__________________
“Ah you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!”
Fullback40 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: seattle
Posts: 7
Unplug the grey harness from the column, tilt it back so you can see where the wires enter the back of it. There will be only one slot without a wire going into it. Assuming there is no damage to the plug you should be able to reinsert the wire into the plug. I had the same issue recently. I just shoved her back in. Hope it helps.
03rubi4u2nv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Harvctry27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Shore
Posts: 86
Hey guys thanks for your help I could not figure it out so I took the jeep to my mechanic and he unplugged the grey combo plug and it fell apart in his hand. So I need a new one. Now only being 17 I'm noticing that a jeep is a lot of maintenance so ill be selling it after this repair I can't spend money on it like this
Harvctry27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
GabeTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Terryville CT
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvctry27 View Post
Hey guys thanks for your help I could not figure it out so I took the jeep to my mechanic and he unplugged the grey combo plug and it fell apart in his hand. So I need a new one. Now only being 17 I'm noticing that a jeep is a lot of maintenance so ill be selling it after this repair I can't spend money on it like this
It's a lot of maintenance yes.. I'm 18. However most issues that arise are DIY fixes
GabeTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Harvctry27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Shore
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeTJ View Post

It's a lot of maintenance yes.. I'm 18. However most issues that arise are DIY fixes
It's also for job reasons I plow in the winter and didn't think about that when I bought a jeep but that's how I make my money so I need another truck wish I could keep it
Harvctry27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #18
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: seattle
Posts: 7
That's Intersting, mine fell apart to. Kinda just got the pins Streight as possible and worked them back in. Doing ok for now. Wonder if its going to become a common issue.

03rubi4u2nv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC