Wiring problem - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,031
Wiring problem

Ok. So I'll start this by saying, I'm pretty much wiring retarded. So take it easy on me, this may be a seriously stupid question.

Went to install my delta lug nut LED's. Hooked the yellow wire off the pig tail (hot wire) to the white wire from the stock third brake light wiring. Then I connected the black wire from the pig tail (ground wire) to the black wire from the stock wiring. Jumped in and hit the brakes.... And I get a faint blip of light then nothing... I then made sure the pins inside the tub had good connection and still nothing... Highly anti-climactic

So my question is, what am I doing wrong?Thanks for any help.

__________________
OME 2.5" coils and Nitro Shocks, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS Quick discos, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
SecretAgentMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 300
I'd start by testing the lights, just to make sure they're working correctly. Just touch the leads to your battery or another known 12v source.

If that's ok, put a volt meter on the two wires you are using for the hookup. Make sure that you're only getting 12V when you step on the brake, and insure the polarity is correct . . i.e. make sure the wire you think is positive really is.

__________________
04 TJ
- - - -
Has anybody seen Amir???
SecretAgentMan is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
I'd start by testing the lights, just to make sure they're working correctly. Just touch the leads to your battery or another known 12v source.

If that's ok, put a volt meter on the two wires you are using for the hookup. Make sure that you're only getting 12V when you step on the brake, and insure the polarity is correct . . i.e. make sure the wire you think is positive really is.
Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'll finally have to go buy a volt meter.

If I'm not getting 12V at the wires what should I do from there?
__________________
OME 2.5" coils and Nitro Shocks, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS Quick discos, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,136
Pretty sure the black wire on the CHMSL is (+) IIRC

Have you tried switching the wires?
Patrick H is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H View Post
Pretty sure the black wire on the CHMSL is (+) IIRC

Have you tried switching the wires?
I had that thought. But I didn't get a chance to switch them yesterday because I had company coming over to my house for some beers. But I will try that as well when I get home. Thanks!
__________________
OME 2.5" coils and Nitro Shocks, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS Quick discos, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,136
Never assume anything. Like assuming white is (+) and black is (-)..
Patrick H is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H View Post
Never assume anything. Like assuming white is (+) and black is (-)..
Well, one would think you could assume that the black wire is the ground. But that is a good point. Haha hopefully you're right.
__________________
OME 2.5" coils and Nitro Shocks, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS Quick discos, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
SecretAgentMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 300
Don't test that with the lights. Use the meter. If your polarity is reversed, the meter will deflect below 0 volts.
__________________
04 TJ
- - - -
Has anybody seen Amir???
SecretAgentMan is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 8,067
You might want to check fuse #2 in the fuse box behind the glove box if you're not getting power to the high center stop light wires. My Haynes manual says positive is white with tan, and negative is black. I don't have an FSM to compare it with.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post
You might want to check fuse #2 in the fuse box behind the glove box if you're not getting power to the high center stop light wires. My Haynes manual says positive is white with tan, and negative is black. I don't have an FSM to compare it with.
I was guessing earlier, or rather trying to remember. I just checked my '01, and this is correct. White/tan tracer is (+), black is (-)
Patrick H is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,031
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to check the #2 fuse when I get a chance tonight. Do y'all know what else runs through that fuse or is it just the 3rd brake light?
__________________
OME 2.5" coils and Nitro Shocks, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS Quick discos, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,031
Just had a thought. If the #2 fuse controls all 3 of the brake lights, and if it was blown, wouldn't all 3 not work? My two lower ones work 100% of the time. But my 3rd brake light wiring seems to be acting up. Anymore ideas or thoughts?
__________________
OME 2.5" coils and Nitro Shocks, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS Quick discos, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 36,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H View Post
Never assume anything. Like assuming white is (+) and black is (-)..
Exactly. White is ground and black is hot in many situations like on trailer lights. It sometimes drives me nuts dealing with white ground wires & black hot wires on trailers and some automotive circuits.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Exactly. White is ground and black is hot in many situations like on trailer lights. It sometimes drives me nuts dealing with white ground wires & black hot wires on trailers and some automotive circuits.
Yep, for trailer wiring, white is always ground, and black is battery (+) charge wire. LT/yellow, RT/green, tail marker/ brown,, electric brakes/ blue...
Oh, sorry..

Ever worked on a yer-a-peein' car with Lucas wiring?
Patrick H is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 8,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by PStov98TJ View Post
Just had a thought. If the #2 fuse controls all 3 of the brake lights, and if it was blown, wouldn't all 3 not work? My two lower ones work 100% of the time. But my 3rd brake light wiring seems to be acting up. Anymore ideas or thoughts?
Yes, the one fuse is used for all the brake lights, so if the others are working, the fuse is okay. Remember though, the center brake light does not use the same wires as the other two. The two outside lights come from the turn signal switch, and the center light comes from a connector between the brake light switch and the turnsignal switch.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post

Yes, the one fuse is used for all the brake lights, so if the others are working, the fuse is okay. Remember though, the center brake light does not use the same wires as the other two. The two outside lights come from the turn signal switch, and the center light comes from a connector between the brake light switch and the turnsignal switch.
Gotcha. Thanks!

So far I've just tried connecting the pig tail to the stock wires. But I'm about to go seek some help from a friends uncle. I'm just not cut out to be an electrician. But is there anything I'm obviously doing wrong? I've made sure the pins have good connection. Made sure there was plenty of wire in the connectors so they'd be touching. Should I just ground the wire to the tailgate instead of through the stock wiring? (As in ground it on one of the screws that hold the little bracket down?)
__________________
OME 2.5" coils and Nitro Shocks, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS Quick discos, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,031
Just as an update for anyone else still reading this, I got them to work! Turns out on my jeep (a 2.5L '98) the jeep's black wire connected to the yellow wire on the pig tail and the jeep's white wire connected to the black wire from the pig tail. Looks like Patrick H was right about never assuming things
__________________
OME 2.5" coils and Nitro Shocks, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS Quick discos, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 8,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by PStov98TJ View Post
Just as an update for anyone else still reading this, I got them to work! Turns out on my jeep (a 2.5L '98) the jeep's black wire connected to the yellow wire on the pig tail and the jeep's white wire connected to the black wire from the pig tail. Looks like Patrick H was right about never assuming things
Good job...! I was just about to ask if the tail gate was shut...
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post

Good job...! I was just about to ask if the tail gate was shut...
Haha I wouldn't put it past myself to do that. Like I said, I'm an electrically challenged individual. But for my 2nd wiring job ever, turned out pretty well. And I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome. These things are bright!!
__________________
OME 2.5" coils and Nitro Shocks, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS Quick discos, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #20
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 8,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by PStov98TJ View Post
Haha I wouldn't put it past myself to do that. Like I said, I'm an electrically challenged individual. But for my 2nd wiring job ever, turned out pretty well. And I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome. These things are bright!!
LED's are great. I just put them in some existing can lights in our dining room....wow! And they're supposed to last 35 years. The next owner will have to deal with 'em..
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Evpjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 453
If you do a lot of 'off roading, ' it would be a good idea to purchase a 12V test light. they are cheap and come in handy in place of a voltimeter.

Evpjr is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC