Wobble from 45 to 55 mph - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,500
Wobble from 45 to 55 mph

I have fought this wobble since I have had the Jeep and everything that I have tried (that has been suggested on other threads) has done nothing to fix this wobble. I have had my tires balanced twice, ball joints checked, track bar checked, and all bolts that I can put a wrench on are tight. I have a fairly new steering stabilizer (bought late last year).

Both times the tires have been balanced they said that I have a bent wheel. So I threw it on the back to see if it would help and it didn't. Keep in mind this is at two different shops. I don't know where to go at this point other than take two wheels off of my dad's Jeep and see if it fixes the problem.

Background info on the Jeep:
2004 Wrangler LJ with 4.25" RE Superflex lift, 1"BL, Currie tie rods/drag link/track bar, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlar, and 15x10 steel wheels.

Here is a picture of my setup:

Thank you in advance!

__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Gold Miner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: way up thar
Posts: 488
How many miles on the tires?

__________________
'01 Sahara, Original Owner
BDS, OME, Metalcloak,
JKS Disco, Rough Trail, Kargo Master,.... bla bla bla, never done
Ghost Creek Mine, Owner ... Mitchell/Yooper Placer Mine, Owner
Only thing we have to fear is, fear itself....................................... and bears
Gold Miner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Miner View Post
How many miles on the tires?
Maybe 15,000. Just did a tire rotation with a balance a day after. Last week
__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Gold Miner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: way up thar
Posts: 488
Not likely the tires then.
How did you bend your wheel.... hit something with it, pothole? If the wobble symptoms occurred shortly after that incident it might be easier to narrow down.
__________________
'01 Sahara, Original Owner
BDS, OME, Metalcloak,
JKS Disco, Rough Trail, Kargo Master,.... bla bla bla, never done
Ghost Creek Mine, Owner ... Mitchell/Yooper Placer Mine, Owner
Only thing we have to fear is, fear itself....................................... and bears
Gold Miner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Miner View Post
Not likely the tires then.
How did you bend your wheel.... hit something with it, pothole? If the wobble symptoms occurred shortly after that incident it might be easier to narrow down.
I dont know how it was bent. They said that the very first time I went to get my other tires balanced. Ever since then I made sure that rim was on the back or the spare. I believe the PO did something to it. They never say anything about the others and always zero out.
__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
paul65k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 144
So I know you've already done this but I had EXACTLY the same issue on my 06 LJ Rubicon..........I thought for sure it was "Death Wobble" and read all the threads, and was underneath the Jeep checking everything at least 5 times....there was nothing out of the ordinary.

I had the tires balanced, then Road Force balanced (per Jerry's suggestion) and still the shimmy between 48 and 53 and only on certain roads......I was stuck!!!

I read another thread last week and it said that if the wobble/shake/shimmy....whatever was always at the same speed then the issue was almost certainly wheel balance. so.........I took it back to the tire shop that did the RF balance and asked them to check it and sure enough the wheels that were balanced just a few weeks ago were off by an ounce and 1.25 OZ on 2 different wheels.............new balance and it rides like it's on glass......Smoooooth!!!

Not sure if this is your issue or not but after everything else this is what it was for me....good luck!!
paul65k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
So I know you've already done this but I had EXACTLY the same issue on my 06 LJ Rubicon..........I thought for sure it was "Death Wobble" and read all the threads, and was underneath the Jeep checking everything at least 5 times....there was nothing out of the ordinary.

I had the tires balanced, then Road Force balanced (per Jerry's suggestion) and still the shimmy between 48 and 53 and only on certain roads......I was stuck!!!

I read another thread last week and it said that if the wobble/shake/shimmy....whatever was always at the same speed then the issue was almost certainly wheel balance. so.........I took it back to the tire shop that did the RF balance and asked them to check it and sure enough the wheels that were balanced just a few weeks ago were off by an ounce and 1.25 OZ on 2 different wheels.............new balance and it rides like it;s on glass......Smoooooth!!!

Not sure if this is your issue or not but after everything else this is what it was for me....good luck!!
Ok. Im going to take two rims and tires off of my jeep and put them on my dads jeep and vise versa and see if it affects either one. I know it is a little drastic but this will tell me right away what is wrong. Ill post what I find.
__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Marcwakefield22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 618
Also, make sure the tires haven't worn weird. And check everything to see if all the components are ok. It happened to mine because the tie rod was just slightly bent.. Then I found out everything on the underside had to replaced because it was all wrong. But it looks like everything has been replaced so just make sure nothing is bent at all
Marcwakefield22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Gold Miner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: way up thar
Posts: 488
Another thing to consider concerning balance: Caked or dried mud/clay on the inside of the wheels. This can temporarily throw the balance off, sometimes pretty bad... especially if it's caked to one side.
Looking at your pic, the inside of the wheel pictured looks clean so you can probably rule that out if the rest are that clean. That's always the first thing I check if I have a shimmy or wobble out of nowhere.
__________________
'01 Sahara, Original Owner
BDS, OME, Metalcloak,
JKS Disco, Rough Trail, Kargo Master,.... bla bla bla, never done
Ghost Creek Mine, Owner ... Mitchell/Yooper Placer Mine, Owner
Only thing we have to fear is, fear itself....................................... and bears
Gold Miner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,500
I just got back from driving it after swapping tires. Both cars did not shake . But i did see that my drag link on the LJ moves up and down (will get video) and the drag link on dads TJ does not move. Could this be the culprit?
__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,500
Here is the Video:

I do think it is my Drag link. I can watch the tire move back and forth when I move the drag link.
__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jp2611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Wayne IN
Posts: 5,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota7x View Post
I just got back from driving it after swapping tires. Both cars did not shake . But i did see that my drag link on the LJ moves up and down (will get video) and the drag link on dads TJ does not move. Could this be the culprit?

IMO.... yes!!...... anything that is moving that shouldn't be is suspect!!
jp2611 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
White Buffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 19
Images: 1
Death Wobble Cure | Jeep | Front End Shake. I have it on my 99 TJ, tires are fine so I'm doing the front track bar and stabilizer along with the track bar bushings. The web address talks about death wobble and he has worked to eliminate this problem by using his kit as it has better (stronger) bushings. This article goes on to really explain death wobble and what can be done to cure it. Look up Kevin's off road for the article about death wobble as he explains it better than anyone else.
White Buffalo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
lynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: York, PA
Posts: 1,102
I had the 47 - 53 shimmy.
It twice blossomed into DW under certain conditions.
The cure for mine was replacing the front LCAs with new arms, Currie with Johnny Joints.
__________________
Lynn
'05 LJ
lynn is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota7x View Post
I just got back from driving it after swapping tires. Both cars did not shake . But i did see that my drag link on the LJ moves up and down (will get video) and the drag link on dads TJ does not move. Could this be the culprit?
Sounds a lot like my issue on my 99 TJ w/ 4" Teraflex lift and 35" MTZ's. It's not "Death Wobble", but a "shimmy" that occurs in the 45-50 mph range. Going over bumps does not create any increased effects (like death wobble would) and the shimmy is sporadic in nature (doesn''t happen all the time). You can speed up or slow down and it goes away.

All of my control arms, ball joints, etc. do not show any issue, but there is some movement to my drag link. I tried swapping tires front to back, didn't make any real difference, so replacing the drag link is next. I just haven't gotten around to it since it's not a constant issue and there very little movement.

Tire balance is a likely cause, but you've already done that so I would look at the drag link.

Another thing to check is tire inflation pressure. Make sure they are all equal, and you may want to try raising or lowering pressures to see if that makes any difference. One of the well-respected local Jeep shop owners mentioned to me that he once had a Jeep with a similar problem and by slightly raising the pressures reduced the issue.
giles45shop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
stumpbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ct
Posts: 403
subscribed for same issue
__________________
......_____
......\o____o
../----L- []IIIII[]-
...............====
()_) ()_)=o==)_)..
RUBICON ON 37'S
stumpbuster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #17
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,500
Thanks for all the help guys. My dad is going to go to Currie Ent today and pick up all new tierod ends and draglink joints that need to be replaced. Im really glad I am getting this fixed so that I dont have to put up with it more. Ill post my results after I get them installed.
__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles45shop View Post

Sounds a lot like my issue on my 99 TJ w/ 4" Teraflex lift and 35" MTZ's. It's not "Death Wobble", but a "shimmy" that occurs in the 45-50 mph range. Going over bumps does not create any increased effects (like death wobble would) and the shimmy is sporadic in nature (doesn''t happen all the time). You can speed up or slow down and it goes away.

All of my control arms, ball joints, etc. do not show any issue, but there is some movement to my drag link. I tried swapping tires front to back, didn't make any real difference, so replacing the drag link is next. I just haven't gotten around to it since it's not a constant issue and there very little movement.

Tire balance is a likely cause, but you've already done that so I would look at the drag link.

Another thing to check is tire inflation pressure. Make sure they are all equal, and you may want to try raising or lowering pressures to see if that makes any difference. One of the well-respected local Jeep shop owners mentioned to me that he once had a Jeep with a similar problem and by slightly raising the pressures reduced the issue.
This is exactly what is happening. But for mine bumps can start the shimmy (it does go away after speeding up though). Im going to rule out tire pressure until I get my steering tight again. I run 28lbs of air in the tires.
__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #19
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn View Post
I had the 47 - 53 shimmy.
It twice blossomed into DW under certain conditions.
The cure for mine was replacing the front LCAs with new arms, Currie with Johnny Joints.
I would love to do this and get rid of the terrible RE joints but I cant for awhile.
__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Wattapunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North TX
Posts: 1,683
What am I missing?
2 different tire shops stated you have a bent rim and the shakes when away when you put your dads rims on your Jeep? Why not replace the wheel ?
Wattapunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #21
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattapunk View Post
What am I missing?
2 different tire shops stated you have a bent rim and the shakes when away when you put your dads rims on your Jeep? Why not replace the wheel ?
Because none of the other 4 are bent and I don't want to buy a new rim. This rim has been on the back ever since I got the MTRs (tire shops have always put it on the back, I wish thy had put it on the spare) and I put it up front after a rotation (forgot it was back there). After, it really started shaking I moved that bent rim to the spare and put the good spare on the ground. My wobble got better and never went away. I thought the spare might have been out of balance so that is when I swapped rims and tires on both cars. Mine didnt shake on dads and his didnt shake on mine (like I said above though, it is a sporadic shake, it does it sometimes and other times it doesn't). I got back to the house and started messing around with other things under there: trying to tighten bolts, moving bars and control arms around trying to see anything out of the ordinary. I kept coming back to that drag link and sure enough the drag link moves up and down when it isnt supposed to. When it moves up and down I can watch the tire go back and forth just like the wobble. This explains why I can also feel the wobble directly in the steering. Im going to change the ends on the tie rods and drag link and see what happens.
__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #22
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,500
Can anyone confirm that the drag link is supposed to move as much as it does in the video above?
__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Shark_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota7x View Post
Can anyone confirm that the drag link is supposed to move as much as it does in the video above?
Looks like the ends are worn out, there is metal contact where there should not be, should be grease cover and ends tight...probably good idea to replace that stuff.
Shark_13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota7x View Post
Can anyone confirm that the drag link is supposed to move as much as it does in the video above?
No it's not supposed to move like that. My drag link system was worn similarly. I replaced the whole thing (i.e, tie rod, drag link and steering stabilizer) and it fixed the problem.
Micky is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #25
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,500
Thats what I thought, Dad went to Currie today and by what he has told me over texts they said it is supposed to move, but this seems more than just a little bit of movement. Ill keep you guys posted. I might just have to drive up to Currie tomorrow to show them the movement.
__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota7x View Post
Thats what I thought, Dad went to Currie today and by what he has told me over texts they said it is supposed to move, but this seems more than just a little bit of movement. Ill keep you guys posted. I might just have to drive up to Currie tomorrow to show them the movement.
The bushing allows the end to move but not freely like you show in your video. If everything is torqued down to spec and you are able to move it freely with little effort, something is wrong.
Micky is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #27
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky View Post

The bushing allows the end to move but not freely like you show in your video. If everything is torqued down to spec and you are able to move it freely with little effort, something is wrong.
Exactly what I was thinking. I know it isnt supposed to be tight but it doesnt take much force to move that drag link up and down. Im going to bet it is the ends that need to be replaced.
__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #28
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,500
Update: went this morning to Currie to pick up new ends and a drag link. I havent even tightened the bolts on the drag links and it doesnt even move. I think I have found my problem.
__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota7x View Post
Update: went this morning to Currie to pick up new ends and a drag link. I havent even tightened the bolts on the drag links and it doesnt even move. I think I have found my problem.
Hopefully this corrects the issue. Just a reminder to grease your Currie ends. You can over-grease so be careful. Rotate/cycle the rod end when you are greasing so that it flows through. If you don't feel it taking don't try to force the grease in.
Micky is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #30
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky View Post

Hopefully this corrects the issue. Just a reminder to grease your Currie ends. You can over-grease so be careful. Rotate/cycle the rod end when you are greasing so that it flows through. If you don't feel it taking don't try to force the grease in.
Just drove it and it feels pretty dam good. Going to drive it to dinner tonight and see if it does it.

We called Currie and they said that their ends come greased out of the box. Ill check them though.

__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC