1995 wrangler won't start, just got new battery - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Newb
 
nickcapo93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
1995 wrangler won't start, just got new battery

Hi, I just replaced the battery in my 1995 Jeep Wrangler and the other day i tried to start it but it did not turn over. I jumped it and it started up, i let it run for about ten minutes but had to turn it off, five minutes later i went back to start it and it did not start. I have jumped it several times and it starts every time its jumped. It has been cold out but not cold enough for it to not start after being jumped. I don't know whether it is the alternator, battery or maybe just a loose connection. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

nickcapo93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Ole4Cyli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 434
Images: 2
When you try to turn it on, does it make a clicking sound? Or does it turn the engine over?

Ole4Cyli is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,909
just jumping it off and then running for a few minutes won't charge a dead battery..charge it completely and then try it..while it is charging take time to clean all the cable connections..if it still does not crank,go get a battery
harleydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
Newb
 
nickcapo93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
The battery is charged according to what the battery gauge was saying when the car was running after the jump
nickcapo93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Newb
 
nickcapo93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
it makes a clicking sounds and does not turnover unless its during a jump.
nickcapo93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcapo93 View Post
The battery is charged according to what the battery gauge was saying when the car was running after the jump
your gauge is telling you that your alternator is charging your battery at that rate..it does not mean that your battery is charged..good side of that is that your alternator is good
harleydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 6
Similar problem. Possible solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcapo93 View Post
Hi, I just replaced the battery in my 1995 Jeep Wrangler and the other day i tried to start it but it did not turn over. I jumped it and it started up, i let it run for about ten minutes but had to turn it off, five minutes later i went back to start it and it did not start. I have jumped it several times and it starts every time its jumped. It has been cold out but not cold enough for it to not start after being jumped. I don't know whether it is the alternator, battery or maybe just a loose connection. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
I had a similar issue recently and it was the connections. I bought a new battery and had the same problem. I was getting no power at all. I turned on my lights (which did not turn on) and left them in the ON position. I fiddled with the battery connections for a second or two until the lights turned on. I cranked it and she started right up. Got my connections a little more snug in there and haven't had a problem since.
WhyJae is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
petercass88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyJae View Post
I had a similar issue recently and it was the connections. I bought a new battery and had the same problem. I was getting no power at all. I turned on my lights (which did not turn on) and left them in the ON position. I fiddled with the battery connections for a second or two until the lights turned on. I cranked it and she started right up. Got my connections a little more snug in there and haven't had a problem since.

^^^^ This. I had a moment of stupidity where a fellow trail rider borrowed my battery on the trails to turn his rig on since his battery was shot. when we re-installed my battery we forgot to tighten down the terminals. The rough ride off the trails loosened up the terminals on the battery. Next day, she would click but not start. Hooked up my battery charger and the clamps would press the wires to the terminals enough to regain full connection and start right up. Dummy me ran through some trouble shooting when all i needed to do was tighten the screws on the terminals to regain a solid connection.
__________________
95' YJ 4-Banger, 5" black diamond lift, Bilstein shocks, shackle reversal kit front and revolvers rear, 33 x 12.5 BFG A/Ts, Dynatrac D60 Axles front and rear, ARB air lockers front and rear, custom drive shafts, 3/4 ton break calipers, 10k LB Engo syth winch, 50" LED windshield light bar, black Monstaliner inside, Predator Green Monstaliner outside, marine speaker sound system, marine vinyl dash and seats. Many other little goodies!
Swap to a 4BT diesel in the future? Most likely.
petercass88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Ole4Cyli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 434
Images: 2
The clicking sound usually is the starter solenoid. But the fact that it turns over when you jump it deters me from thinking that.
Ole4Cyli is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
9T4YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 158
Invest in a decent multi-meter.

It's possible you have a bad battery, but double check your battery cables for loose terminals, corrosion, etc. Also check your negative cable is going to a good ground.
9T4YJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Fabrokoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Plymouth, CT
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9T4YJ View Post
Invest in a decent multi-meter. It's possible you have a bad battery, but double check your battery cables for loose terminals, corrosion, etc. Also check your negative cable is going to a good ground.
This.

Triple check all connections and clean them. Including where the negative hits the engine. If you don't have a good ground it won't start. When jumping you are grounded to the other car. Remove cables and there goes your ground.

The volt gauge shows what the alternator charging circuit is putting out while the jeep is running. What is your voltage with key on but engine off?

And yes just running the jeep for a few minutes after jumping it will not charge the battery. If you suspect the battery is dead give it a real charge overnight on the low setting.

Good luck!

Fabrokoner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
battery , help advice , jeep , jeep 1995 , wrangler

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC