4X4 Questions (Teen jeep owner) - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-10-2014, 02:06 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
countryLIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 51
4X4 Questions (Teen jeep owner)

I just got my 1995 wrangler and the 4x4 doesn't work. I don't know why it's not working, I haven't asked yet because I got it from a friend. Should I ask why it doesn't work? Should I take it to a mechanic? Should I have a guy friend look at at first? I need some advice. Thanks guys -Lanessa

countryLIV is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:19 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
BlackedOutYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bonne Terre MO
Posts: 1,947
Well of course you should ask why it doesn't work! If you don't get a straight answer, trace down the vacuum lines and see if any of those are bad.

__________________
Help restore faith in humanity, do something nice! KCCO
BlackedOutYJ is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:52 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
countryLIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutYJ View Post
Well of course you should ask why it doesn't work! If you don't get a straight answer, trace down the vacuum lines and see if any of those are bad.
What would you do if they don't know?
countryLIV is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:18 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
rdc401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 87
Take to a mechanic,
rdc401 is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Thomas S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 412
Don't take it to a mechanic until you have troubleshooted as much as you can. It may be a case of a simple part that needs replaced. I don't have all the technical names for these parts so bear with me.

Things that need looked at

1) There is a part on the transfer case (T-case) that tells the front diff to engage when you shift to 4x4.

2) There is a shift motor on your front axle that engages the front axle

3) The shift motor uses vacuum lines to do this engaging.

These are the most common things and easily fixed. You may want to do some googleing or forum searching on each issue. All of these issues would go away if you when with a posi system. Which would be a lever in cab that you pull to engage the front diff manual.
Thomas S is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,927
the part on the transfer case is the vacuum switch which often goes bad..that and vacuum lines either being broken or pulled loose is the problems that I find most often
harleydragon is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
jquinn83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 479
I would recommend finding a local Jeep club and ask if there's someone that can look at it for you. A teenage Jeep girl is not going to have trouble finding someone to help her, in fact you may get too much help. You can go to the Oregon forum on here Oregon Jeep Forum - Jeep Wrangler Forum
or just google it and find a club in your area.
jquinn83 is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinn83 View Post
I would recommend finding a local Jeep club and ask if there's someone that can look at it for you. A teenage Jeep girl is not going to have trouble finding someone to help her, in fact you may get too much help. You can go to the Oregon forum on here Oregon Jeep Forum - Jeep Wrangler Forum
or just google it and find a club in your area.
this!
scukfan is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
RoadGlide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Way north of Texas
Posts: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinn83 View Post
I would recommend finding a local Jeep club and ask if there's someone that can look at it for you. A teenage Jeep girl is not going to have trouble finding someone to help her, in fact you may get too much help. You can go to the Oregon forum on here Oregon Jeep Forum - Jeep Wrangler Forum
or just google it and find a club in your area.
and ask the old quiet guy...the one that sits and just grins like he knows it all...cuz he probably does...

and i shouldn't have to...and i don't think i do need to say this...because they will be jeepers, but the dad in me comes out...

be careful...don't go off to some guys garage...alone...the ones that really are good guys will understand why you insist on a trusted adult accompanying you...
__________________
Paul

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
RoadGlide is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
BT
Jeeper
 
BT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGlide View Post
and ask the old quiet guy...the one that sits and just grins like he knows it all...cuz he probably does...

and i shouldn't have to...and i don't think i do need to say this...because they will be jeepers, but the dad in me comes out...

be careful...don't go off to some guys garage...alone...the ones that really are good guys will understand why you insist on a trusted adult accompanying you...
^^^^THIS

You can never be to careful. Trouble shoot as much as you can and if you can't solve the issue your self, take it to a reputable garage and see what they say.

BTW Welcome to the forum!!
__________________
"Shiny side up, Greasy side down"

"Where's the shiny side?"

"Brown side up, Greasy side down" - Piper54
BT is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
countryLIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas S View Post
Don't take it to a mechanic until you have troubleshooted as much as you can. It may be a case of a simple part that needs replaced. I don't have all the technical names for these parts so bear with me.

Things that need looked at

1) There is a part on the transfer case (T-case) that tells the front diff to engage when you shift to 4x4.

2) There is a shift motor on your front axle that engages the front axle

3) The shift motor uses vacuum lines to do this engaging.

These are the most common things and easily fixed. You may want to do some googleing or forum searching on each issue. All of these issues would go away if you when with a posi system. Which would be a lever in cab that you pull to engage the front diff manual.
Thank you for your advice!
countryLIV is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
countryLIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinn83 View Post
I would recommend finding a local Jeep club and ask if there's someone that can look at it for you. A teenage Jeep girl is not going to have trouble finding someone to help her, in fact you may get too much help. You can go to the Oregon forum on here Oregon Jeep Forum - Jeep Wrangler Forum
or just google it and find a club in your area.
Thank you so much! I appreciate it I'm going to give that a try.

countryLIV is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
4x4 , advice

« Gear oil | Power »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC