'94 YJ shocks - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
TrailHaunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 229
'94 YJ shocks

Does anyone have a recommendation? I don't have a lift kit and I honestly don't see myself doing one anytime soon but I do need new shocks. Thanks!

TrailHaunter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
TrailHaunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 229
No one has any recommendations?

TrailHaunter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8
I just ordered a set of Rancho RS5000 from Advance Auto using a $50 rebate I earned for ordering more than $100 recently. The shocks also have a $50 rebate from Rancho. RS5168 and RS5113 and RS5407 for the Stabilizer. Supposed to be for a small or no lift application - Bob
BobsWranglerYJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
TrailHaunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsWranglerYJ
I just ordered a set of Rancho RS5000 from Advance Auto using a $50 rebate I earned for ordering more than $100 recently. The shocks also have a $50 rebate from Rancho. RS5168 and RS5113 and RS5407 for the Stabilizer. Supposed to be for a small or no lift application - Bob
Do you have any idea how they compare to the lesser expensive shocks?
TrailHaunter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
JYD
Jeeper
 
JYD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NE Texas
Posts: 108
I just sold on these classifieds a set of Skyjacker Nitro 8000 shocks that I installed in January. They made a huge difference over the stock worn out shocks they replaced. I installed a lift kit and will be replacing them with the Rancho RS5000's. For a difference in price of $6 per shock I decided to go ahead and spring for the Rancho shocks because of the reviews and the no hassel replacement warranty. Some folks on here claim the Skyjackers have leakage problems. I did not keep them long enough to find out.
JYD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
TrailHaunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYD
I just sold on these classifieds a set of Skyjacker Nitro 8000 shocks that I installed in January. They made a huge difference over the stock worn out shocks they replaced. I installed a lift kit and will be replacing them with the Rancho RS5000's. For a difference in price of $6 per shock I decided to go ahead and spring for the Rancho shocks because of the reviews and the no hassel replacement warranty. Some folks on here claim the Skyjackers have leakage problems. I did not keep them long enough to find out.
Even if I don't plan on putting a lift kit, do you think the Rancho shocks are the best for the money?
TrailHaunter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
TrailHaunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 229
I can get a set of Rancho RSX17039 for $20 a piece for my rears. Would it be bad if I had different shocks on the front than the rear?
TrailHaunter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
denisbaldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 3,298
I like the Bilsteins in every vehicle I've ever run. I've heard enough good about the Bilstein 5100s for the YJ that I just ordered a full set all around for my SOA setup for $300.
__________________
Denis A. Baldwin
Clearwater, FL
1991 YJ 99 Vortec 5.7L, SM465, NP205, 14 Bolt Rear, Dana 60 Front, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Lockers, 395/85R20 46" Michelin XML tires on 20" XD Wheels, Cherokee Offset Springs (10" front to back stretch total), Bilstein 5150s, 1in. BL, custom cage, Warn M8000, Double D Dash/OHC, 4Low Front Stinger Bumper, DirtWorx Rear Bumper WTC, Tube Fenders, Comp Cut, 1 Ton HD Kingpin High Steering and PAID FOR.
denisbaldwin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
JYD
Jeeper
 
JYD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NE Texas
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailHaunter View Post
Even if I don't plan on putting a lift kit, do you think the Rancho shocks are the best for the money?
This is my first set of Rancho shocks so I can only go by the reviews and I would say yes for the $ Ranchos are your best choice. Bilstiens are the best shocks (per the reviews) but are double the price. I would stick with the same brand and style shocks all around.
JYD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
TrailHaunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYD
This is my first set of Rancho shocks so I can only go by the reviews and I would say yes for the $ Ranchos are your best choice. Bilstiens are the best shocks (per the reviews) but are double the price. I would stick with the same brand and style shocks all around.
Alright thanks guys.
TrailHaunter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
TrailHaunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 229
Has anyone ever used KYB shocks?
TrailHaunter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
denisbaldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailHaunter View Post
Has anyone ever used KYB shocks?
I used KYB AGX Adjustables on my last Miata. They were OK, but I found they wore out pretty fast compared to the Bilsteins.

Denis
__________________
Denis A. Baldwin
Clearwater, FL
1991 YJ 99 Vortec 5.7L, SM465, NP205, 14 Bolt Rear, Dana 60 Front, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Lockers, 395/85R20 46" Michelin XML tires on 20" XD Wheels, Cherokee Offset Springs (10" front to back stretch total), Bilstein 5150s, 1in. BL, custom cage, Warn M8000, Double D Dash/OHC, 4Low Front Stinger Bumper, DirtWorx Rear Bumper WTC, Tube Fenders, Comp Cut, 1 Ton HD Kingpin High Steering and PAID FOR.
denisbaldwin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
TrailHaunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisbaldwin

I used KYB AGX Adjustables on my last Miata. They were OK, but I found they wore out pretty fast compared to the Bilsteins.

Denis
So even if I didn't plan on doing any off-roading ever, you'd still recommend the Bilsteins?
TrailHaunter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
denisbaldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailHaunter View Post
So even if I didn't plan on doing any off-roading ever, you'd still recommend the Bilsteins?
Yes, if only for that combination of longevity and ride quality that I've come to expect from them. You can do ok with skyjacker, rancho, kyb, etc. but if you want a good shock it should be OME or Rubicon Express or Bilstein. All make good, long lasting shocks.

Denis
__________________
Denis A. Baldwin
Clearwater, FL
1991 YJ 99 Vortec 5.7L, SM465, NP205, 14 Bolt Rear, Dana 60 Front, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Lockers, 395/85R20 46" Michelin XML tires on 20" XD Wheels, Cherokee Offset Springs (10" front to back stretch total), Bilstein 5150s, 1in. BL, custom cage, Warn M8000, Double D Dash/OHC, 4Low Front Stinger Bumper, DirtWorx Rear Bumper WTC, Tube Fenders, Comp Cut, 1 Ton HD Kingpin High Steering and PAID FOR.
denisbaldwin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
TrailHaunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisbaldwin

Yes, if only for that combination of longevity and ride quality that I've come to expect from them. You can do ok with skyjacker, rancho, kyb, etc. but if you want a good shock it should be OME or Rubicon Express or Bilstein. All make good, long lasting shocks.

Denis
Bilsteins are just so damn expensive.
TrailHaunter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
denisbaldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailHaunter View Post
Bilsteins are just so damn expensive.
I think it's a case of getting what you pay for. The 5100s aren't badly priced. I think a set of standard jeep replacements is under $250 for all 4 corners. If you go to a place like autoplicity you could get them even cheaper.

Denis
__________________
Denis A. Baldwin
Clearwater, FL
1991 YJ 99 Vortec 5.7L, SM465, NP205, 14 Bolt Rear, Dana 60 Front, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Lockers, 395/85R20 46" Michelin XML tires on 20" XD Wheels, Cherokee Offset Springs (10" front to back stretch total), Bilstein 5150s, 1in. BL, custom cage, Warn M8000, Double D Dash/OHC, 4Low Front Stinger Bumper, DirtWorx Rear Bumper WTC, Tube Fenders, Comp Cut, 1 Ton HD Kingpin High Steering and PAID FOR.
denisbaldwin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #17
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,015
Images: 5
best cheap shocks have been from rustys off road. Ride nice and are cheap.. had a set on a ZJ an TJ..about $35 per shock.

__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC