95 4.0 low idle\stalling - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
MkUltraOps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Snohomish, wa
Posts: 396
95 4.0 low idle\stalling

Hey its me again...my jeep has been giving me shit all week long...starting with high idle...I ended up cleaning the IAC valve with mass airflow sensor cleaner....then I lubed the shaft with wd40 put it back in...fixed the problem for about 2 days.....but now when I start the engine everything is normal untill I drive about 5 miles...then when I push the clutch in\put it in neutral it idles almost to the point of stalling.....just a hair above the 0 mark on the RPM

And sometimes it does stall

Heres the catch, if I shut off and quickly restart the engine it goes away for another 5 miles give or take a few...


Im thinking just completley replacing the IAC and see what happens...but id like to get some feedback from you guys incase some of you have encountered this before.

__________________
Its a Jeep thing...
MkUltraOps is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
MkUltraOps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Snohomish, wa
Posts: 396
anyone?

__________________
Its a Jeep thing...
MkUltraOps is offline   Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
StanF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,038
Have you checked for codes?
__________________
1995 YJ, 4.0L, AX15, 3" susp lift; Lock Right in Dana 30; 8.8 w/ARB; Flat Tummy Tuck, 1" Daystar BL; 1" MORE MML; 35" MT/r Tires;

StanF Tummy Tuck, Ford 8.8, Gas Tank Lift, Rocker Guard Fab, Ammo Can Console
StanF is offline   Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
MkUltraOps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Snohomish, wa
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
Have you checked for codes?
no codes.
its weird...its starting the high idle again.
then next day it changes to low idle and next day its fine....then back to high idle

im thinking the IAC may be sticky...
MkUltraOps is offline   Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 443
I've been chasing an idle issue since my engine swap. I replaced every sensor related to idle control. I just adjusted my screw on the throttle body so it stays open a little bit more.
Now you say that putting some wd-40 on the shaft of the iac resolved this for a while. And it only does it when idling? Right? A new one may fix this. You also need to check your temp sensor. It's the one on the thermostat housing. This sensor will directly affect your engine. Check all the connectors as well. Maybe try lubing the shaft with something that will last longer than wd-40 before buying a new iac.
LittleGreenYJ is offline   Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
MkUltraOps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Snohomish, wa
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGreenYJ View Post
I've been chasing an idle issue since my engine swap. I replaced every sensor related to idle control. I just adjusted my screw on the throttle body so it stays open a little bit more.
Now you say that putting some wd-40 on the shaft of the iac resolved this for a while. And it only does it when idling? Right? A new one may fix this. You also need to check your temp sensor. It's the one on the thermostat housing. This sensor will directly affect your engine. Check all the connectors as well. Maybe try lubing the shaft with something that will last longer than wd-40 before buying a new iac.
Does the 95 wrangler even have a idle screw? I thought the IAC did that
__________________
Its a Jeep thing...
MkUltraOps is offline   Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by MkUltraOps View Post
Does the 95 wrangler even have a idle screw? I thought the IAC did that
Indeed. It's an Allen head screw. If you look where the throttle lever sits when in idle. You will see a small screw sticking up. The head is located at the underside of the throttle body. Turning this screw in presses against the lever and opens the butterfly valve a little bit. It's a very small screw.
LittleGreenYJ is offline   Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
MkUltraOps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Snohomish, wa
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGreenYJ View Post
Indeed. It's an Allen head screw. If you look where the throttle lever sits when in idle. You will see a small screw sticking up. The head is located at the underside of the throttle body. Turning this screw in presses against the lever and opens the butterfly valve a little bit. It's a very small screw.
Sounds like just bandaiding the problem instead of fixing it...because its doing both low and high idle....depends on day
__________________
Its a Jeep thing...
MkUltraOps is offline   Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by MkUltraOps View Post
Sounds like just bandaiding the problem instead of fixing it...because its doing both low and high idle....depends on day
Mine was only ever low. Never high. I just threw out an option that fixed it for me. After replacing all the sensors I could see, nothing fixed it. So that was my fix. Good luck.
LittleGreenYJ is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:55 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
zidodcigalah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 75
Try another IAC, there are not expensive anyway.. I have the same symtpoms, and now my IAC is completely stuck..
zidodcigalah is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 443
How much are you guys paying for an iac??? I pay $82 up here.
LittleGreenYJ is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
zidodcigalah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 75
Get a used one from a junkyard.. Those things do not die so often, most problems come from dirt in TB..
zidodcigalah is offline   Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
MkUltraOps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Snohomish, wa
Posts: 396
tried cleaning the IAC again no fix...its a high idle when engine is cold, then low idle/stalling when engine is upto temp
__________________
Its a Jeep thing...
MkUltraOps is offline   Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
MkUltraOps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Snohomish, wa
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGreenYJ View Post
Indeed. It's an Allen head screw. If you look where the throttle lever sits when in idle. You will see a small screw sticking up. The head is located at the underside of the throttle body. Turning this screw in presses against the lever and opens the butterfly valve a little bit. It's a very small screw.

do u by chance know the size of the allen screw?
__________________
Its a Jeep thing...
MkUltraOps is offline   Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by MkUltraOps View Post
do u by chance know the size of the allen screw?
No very small though. I would look but I don't have the YJ anymore.

LittleGreenYJ is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC