A Softopper warning! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 15
Unhappy A Softopper warning!

I did a lot of research before picking a top to replace the busted one on my '94. I ultimately settled on the Softopper frameless. I hated the cobbled together mess of framework that came on the original, and Softopper is made in the good ol' US-of-A, AND it came with all the hardware needed. Sold.

So I go to put this thing together. Everything looks great, fantastic quality. But then I get to the door surrounds. Pretty much not ONE piece fit like it was supposed to. The mounting holes for the brackets that attach overhead were too high in the frame, which allowed the frame to sit lower than it should. Wedged right up against the overhead rollbar, the door didn't have enough clearance to close. I had to re-drill the holes in a different location. Even more annoying, the square tubing curvatures were entirely off. No matter how I placed them, both upper and lower rear curves were too sharp. If I fit the curve to the top of the door, the vertical attachment point blocked the door. If I adjusted to fit the rear door edge, the top curve came nowhere close to sealing off. I'm talking a full inch away! Both sides were like this. I had to beat and bend on them to get them to work. The passenger side finally fit, but I never did get the drivers side fixed.

After reading all the good reviews, I was really surprised how much effort it took on my part to get this thing even halfway functional. So, buyer beware. I dunno if I just got a bad set or what, but I'm pretty disappointed with the hardware.

Knightrun is offline   Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
rdc401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 88
You must have got a bad set mine went on perfect.
Don't know about there customer service but maybe you should have called them.

rdc401 is offline   Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:40 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
dante2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Oklahoma
Posts: 110
I had no issues with my surrounds either. I would call them first before I rant on here without giving them a chance to fix the problem.
__________________
1994 4.0, 5spd, 2" zone lift, 31's, 4.10 axles
dante2 is online now   Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2 View Post
I had no issues with my surrounds either. I would call them first before I rant on here without giving them a chance to fix the problem.
I may give them a call to see if I can get replacements. That said, I still think it's relevant to mention possible problems for anyone else considering a purchase.
Knightrun is offline   Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
ninjaturtle0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 920
I didn't like the surrounds either so I got the oem ones. Softopper w oem surrounds is a good combo
__________________


/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ninjaturtle0 is offline   Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaturtle0 View Post
I didn't like the surrounds either so I got the oem ones. Softopper w oem surrounds is a good combo
ninjaturtle, when you say OEM surrounds, which are you referring to? TJ or YJ? pictures?
kjg26 is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 215
How are these tops at freeway speeds? I notice with my factory soft top (well, factory frame, smittybilt canvas) that the frame shakes and rattles at ~65, especially with the passenger vent open. The soft top also buffets loudly. Do the frameless soft tops sound better or are they just as loud? I'm asking because all the pictures look like they're pretty loose. However, without a rattling frame it may be better anyway.
saberworks is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
rdc401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberworks View Post
How are these tops at freeway speeds? I notice with my factory soft top (well, factory frame, smittybilt canvas) that the frame shakes and rattles at ~65, especially with the passenger vent open. The soft top also buffets loudly. Do the frameless soft tops sound better or are they just as loud? I'm asking because all the pictures look like they're pretty loose. However, without a rattling frame it may be better anyway.
Mine is quite I can talk to another passenger in a normal voice. Doesn't flap very much,is a lot quiter than I thought it would be
rdc401 is offline   Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:11 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
dante2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Oklahoma
Posts: 110
I drove with the windows in it for a couple of days and to me it was more quiet than my hardtop. I like it a lot better and I am waiting on winter to see if the hardtop stays or gets sold.
__________________
1994 4.0, 5spd, 2" zone lift, 31's, 4.10 axles
dante2 is online now   Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:28 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Beer Belly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Earth...near the Moon
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrun View Post
I may give them a call to see if I can get replacements. That said, I still think it's relevant to mention possible problems for anyone else considering a purchase.
Maybe you ended up with a TJ top for your YJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberworks View Post
How are these tops at freeway speeds? I notice with my factory soft top (well, factory frame, smittybilt canvas) that the frame shakes and rattles at ~65, especially with the passenger vent open. The soft top also buffets loudly. Do the frameless soft tops sound better or are they just as loud? I'm asking because all the pictures look like they're pretty loose. However, without a rattling frame it may be better anyway.
You drive 65?!!??!! At 45mph, I fell like I am going to die. The springs are sooooo damn stiff. These jeeps are death traps, you know! You guys are nuts.
__________________
'89 Yes it's a Junker, 150c.i. of AMC power. 100% paid for. Some after market stuff the last guy did....better him than me! I still have $$ in my wallet.
Beer Belly is offline   Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Jeepwrangler1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 60
What u taking about I drive 80 and Itz actually pretty smooth lol
Jeepwrangler1993 is offline   Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Belly View Post
You drive 65?!!??!! At 45mph, I fell like I am going to die. The springs are sooooo damn stiff. These jeeps are death traps, you know! You guys are nuts.
Not sure whether you're kidding... Yeah, the speed limit around here on state highways is 60 and I generally go about 5 over. That said, my rpms are at like 2500 with my 3-speed automatic so it's not so great. I don't notice the stiff suspension much on the freeway, maybe because the freeways around here are pretty nice and smooth? It is bone-jarring on speed bumps or other rough roads. There are also interstates where the speed limit is 70 but I haven't driven on one of them since I got this Jeep.
saberworks is offline   Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #13
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
western196611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Kansas
Posts: 724
Here in Kansas the interstate speed limit is a posted 75 MPH!!
__________________
1995, 4.0, 5 speed YJ, SOA, TC drop, 8.8 swap with 4.10 and LSD, e-grills bumper, 33" BF all terrains on 15" wheels.
western196611 is offline   Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
mikhail2400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Jesup GA
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrun View Post
I may give them a call to see if I can get replacements. That said, I still think it's relevant to mention possible problems for anyone else considering a purchase.
Call them man. Mine fit l;ke a glove but then again I used my OEM surrounds also. Also mines pretty quiet from the limited time ive been driving with it on. Matter of fact this morning was the 1st time I got to ride with the softtopper. Jeep been on stands for days being lifted. Im FREE now though!!

Oh yeah, as far as loose goes its not. The back corners look kinda loose but the rest of it is tight.
mikhail2400 is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #15
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7
Just put a softtopper on my 93yj a couple weeks ago, went on easy & everything fit perfect, just have to keep the door surround fasteners loose until everything's fitted right. Loving it so far.

No vendor is perfect, you should contact them and see what the deal is before posting this up here. I'd bet money they make it right.

Mathematics is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC