Aftermarket instrument cluster - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today



Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
OverkillYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,931
Aftermarket instrument cluster

Anyone know of a good place to find or buy an aftermarket instrument cluster? My speedometer is screwed up. I might have to rewire it, not sure. At this point I would honestly be just as happy to swap in one of those aftermarket ones that work on multiple engines. I have seen people with them in hot rods, but never a Jeep. Not sure what I would need to get, or how in depth it would be. I plan on swapping the motor eventually, so this is just another thing I would have to do at some point anyway which is why this might be how I solve my problem.
__________________
Complete rebuild axle/engine/everything swap in progress: Building stock width 44's with 302 from 01 Explorer. Motor has GT40p heads, Cobra Intake, and truck cam. Running A9L EEC IV stand alone engine from late 80's-90's Mustang GT. Big Bearing NP435 married to NP205.
OverkillYJ is offline   Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
c5wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Highland, California
Posts: 1,510
I have the universal set up I dont have a picture of the tachometer or speedometer... but they are the same style
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep007.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	397401  

__________________
1989 YJ, 4.2l, Junkyard TBI with timing control, aw4, np231 JB conversions super short SYE, D30 ARB & Ford 8.8 ARB 4.56, 35x12.5r15 Goodyear MTR's, bds 3.5" springs, 1" Boom Shackles.
Build Thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/fi...ld-385106.html
c5wagner is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
OverkillYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,931
Where is a good place to buy them? What should I be looking for, and how much is it going to cost me?
__________________
Complete rebuild axle/engine/everything swap in progress: Building stock width 44's with 302 from 01 Explorer. Motor has GT40p heads, Cobra Intake, and truck cam. Running A9L EEC IV stand alone engine from late 80's-90's Mustang GT. Big Bearing NP435 married to NP205.
OverkillYJ is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
c5wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Highland, California
Posts: 1,510
I bought mine on amazon about 1 year ago, and I got them for just under $100. The only thing you really have to watch out for is the temp gauge because you need I believe the 1/8" standard pipe thread fitting that comes with these size adapters 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". I don't know your engine setup too well so you might have to do some homework to find out what you specifically need. I believe my temp fitting on my 4.2l was the 3/8". Also, the fuel gauge needs to have the right volt range for your sending unit, but I don't know your 2.5l voltage need.
__________________
1989 YJ, 4.2l, Junkyard TBI with timing control, aw4, np231 JB conversions super short SYE, D30 ARB & Ford 8.8 ARB 4.56, 35x12.5r15 Goodyear MTR's, bds 3.5" springs, 1" Boom Shackles.
Build Thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/fi...ld-385106.html
c5wagner is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
OverkillYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5wagner View Post
I bought mine on amazon about 1 year ago, and I got them for just under $100. The only thing you really have to watch out for is the temp gauge because you need I believe the 1/8" standard pipe thread fitting that comes with these size adapters 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". I don't know your engine setup too well so you might have to do some homework to find out what you specifically need. I believe my temp fitting on my 4.2l was the 3/8". Also, the fuel gauge needs to have the right volt range for your sending unit, but I don't know your 2.5l voltage need.
My Primary Concern right now is the speedometer and tachometer.
__________________
Complete rebuild axle/engine/everything swap in progress: Building stock width 44's with 302 from 01 Explorer. Motor has GT40p heads, Cobra Intake, and truck cam. Running A9L EEC IV stand alone engine from late 80's-90's Mustang GT. Big Bearing NP435 married to NP205.
OverkillYJ is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
c5wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Highland, California
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverkillYJ View Post
My Primary Concern right now is the speedometer and tachometer.
Those are mostly universal across the board, but my speedometer is cable driven and I believe yours electric (should come with everything needed to setup anyway), also my tachometer wire attached to my distributor. The speedometer gauge is the most expensive around $100 or so... so I would check junkyards if you want a cheap replacement
__________________
1989 YJ, 4.2l, Junkyard TBI with timing control, aw4, np231 JB conversions super short SYE, D30 ARB & Ford 8.8 ARB 4.56, 35x12.5r15 Goodyear MTR's, bds 3.5" springs, 1" Boom Shackles.
Build Thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/fi...ld-385106.html
c5wagner is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
OverkillYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5wagner View Post
Those are mostly universal across the board, but my speedometer is cable driven and I believe yours electric (should come with everything needed to setup anyway), also my tachometer wire attached to my distributor. The speedometer gauge is the most expensive around $100 or so... so I would check junkyards if you want a cheap replacement
Nah. I am looking for a nice one that I can keep in my Jeep when I swap the engine. This is something I only plan on doing once. If I got one I could program my current mileage into that would be even better.
__________________
Complete rebuild axle/engine/everything swap in progress: Building stock width 44's with 302 from 01 Explorer. Motor has GT40p heads, Cobra Intake, and truck cam. Running A9L EEC IV stand alone engine from late 80's-90's Mustang GT. Big Bearing NP435 married to NP205.
OverkillYJ is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
c5wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Highland, California
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverkillYJ View Post
Nah. I am looking for a nice one that I can keep in my Jeep when I swap the engine. This is something I only plan on doing once. If I got one I could program my current mileage into that would be even better.
Well my friend tried using a drill on a cable speedometer, but the mileage went up too slow to continue trying

__________________
1989 YJ, 4.2l, Junkyard TBI with timing control, aw4, np231 JB conversions super short SYE, D30 ARB & Ford 8.8 ARB 4.56, 35x12.5r15 Goodyear MTR's, bds 3.5" springs, 1" Boom Shackles.
Build Thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/fi...ld-385106.html
c5wagner is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC