Aussie locker question - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Skysail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 87
Aussie locker question

I installed an Aussie locker the other day. I did the spin test and everything was ok. When I drive it in 4wd, i do not hear any clicking when I turn, I feel like it's locked all the time. Every once in I while, I think I hear it, but it's not like what I think it should be. What's the issue?

In 2wd, it does disengage, and I don't even feel at all that it's there.

I did go off-roading and it was awesome, just no clicking...

Skysail is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
c5wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysail View Post
I installed an Aussie locker the other day. I did the spin test and everything was ok. When I drive it in 4wd, i do not hear any clicking when I turn, I feel like it's locked all the time. Every once in I while, I think I hear it, but it's not like what I think it should be. What's the issue?

In 2wd, it does disengage, and I don't even feel at all that it's there.

I did go off-roading and it was awesome, just no clicking...
You're running this in a yj, so you still might have the cad system which means locking wouldn't matter while in 2wd. You'd only hear the clicking if your on hard surface like road turning and accelerating in 4wd or of you got rid of your cad system and had the axle shafts always engaged

__________________
1989 Base YJ, 4.2l, Borla exhaust, offy intake, Motorcraft 2150 carb, CRT HEI ignition, ax15, np231 JB conversions SYE, D30 ARB & Ford 8.8 ARB 4.56, 35x12.5r15 Goodyear MTR's, bds 3.5" springs, 1" body lift, and 1/2" Boom Shackles.
Build Thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/fi...ld-385106.html
c5wagner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Skysail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5wagner View Post
You're running this in a yj, so you still might have the cad system which means locking wouldn't matter while in 2wd. You'd only hear the clicking if your on hard surface like road turning and accelerating in 4wd or of you got rid of your cad system and had the axle shafts always engaged
Yeah I feel like everything is fine, im just comparing to videos on YouTube that are newer tj's and what not, thought it was at least a little similar. What's the cad system?
Skysail is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
nick50471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bushwood Country Club
Posts: 13,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysail View Post
I installed an Aussie locker the other day. I did the spin test and everything was ok. When I drive it in 4wd, i do not hear any clicking when I turn, I feel like it's locked all the time. Every once in I while, I think I hear it, but it's not like what I think it should be. What's the issue?

In 2wd, it does disengage, and I don't even feel at all that it's there.

I did go off-roading and it was awesome, just no clicking...
An Aussie locker or any other brand of lunchbox locker NEVER disengages. Selectable lockers are the only lockers that disengage.
__________________
License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.
nick50471 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Skysail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick50471 View Post
An Aussie locker or any other brand of lunchbox locker NEVER disengages. Selectable lockers are the only lockers that disengage.
Yes, I understand this, just not feeling any differential action when I turn as advertised is all.
Skysail is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
nick50471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bushwood Country Club
Posts: 13,917
Are you on dry pavement in 4wd? That is when you will notice it. If you are on dirt or gravel road you may not. I can't hear mine unless it really starts to bind.
__________________
License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.
nick50471 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Skysail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick50471 View Post
Are you on dry pavement in 4wd? That is when you will notice it. If you are on dirt or gravel road you may not. I can't hear mine unless it really starts to bind.
Ok that's kinda the answer I was hoping for, I cannot hear it on the trails, and barely on concrete. I thought it would be much louder. Iv only heard a couple clicks doing circles testing it out.
Skysail is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
YJ fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: White Cloud, Michigan
Posts: 964
Images: 3
Yup, mine is 100% quiet in 2wd, and only clicks a bit when I'm turning sharp in 4wd.
__________________
92 YJ, 4.0, 5" BDS springs, 1" booms, 1" BL, 35x12.50x15 MTZ's, Ford 8.8 with LSD, 4.10 gears. It's never done though.
YJ fanatic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
c5wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysail View Post

Yeah I feel like everything is fine, im just comparing to videos on YouTube that are newer tj's and what not, thought it was at least a little similar. What's the cad system?
The cad system disengages the front passenger axle shaft when you're in 2wd. That's why you don't hear your locker. TJ don't have a cad system so they make the noise on the road
__________________
1989 Base YJ, 4.2l, Borla exhaust, offy intake, Motorcraft 2150 carb, CRT HEI ignition, ax15, np231 JB conversions SYE, D30 ARB & Ford 8.8 ARB 4.56, 35x12.5r15 Goodyear MTR's, bds 3.5" springs, 1" body lift, and 1/2" Boom Shackles.
Build Thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/fi...ld-385106.html
c5wagner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 09:43 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Skysail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5wagner View Post
The cad system disengages the front passenger axle shaft when you're in 2wd. That's why you don't hear your locker. TJ don't have a cad system so they make the noise on the road
Ok just didn't know the term for it. I had to take it apart to move the axle shaft anyway to pull the carrier out.
Seems like every thing is OK. Great mod.
Skysail is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
djwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 427
You should hear slight clicking in mostly in 2wd while going around slow, tight turns. The clicking just means it is disengaged and allowing differential action between the left and right front tires. In 4wd with power being applied, it will fully engage and lock the front axle.
__________________
'93 YJ, 4.0, AX15, Aussie locked D30/open 8.8, 4.10s, 2.5 OME lift, 31s...
djwrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
YJ fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: White Cloud, Michigan
Posts: 964
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwrangler View Post
You should hear slight clicking in mostly in 2wd while going around slow, tight turns. The clicking just means it is disengaged and allowing differential action between the left and right front tires. In 4wd with power being applied, it will fully engage and lock the front axle.
The CAD system makes it totally disengage, so it doesn't click.
__________________
92 YJ, 4.0, 5" BDS springs, 1" booms, 1" BL, 35x12.50x15 MTZ's, Ford 8.8 with LSD, 4.10 gears. It's never done though.
YJ fanatic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Skysail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ fanatic View Post
The CAD system makes it totally disengage, so it doesn't click.
Yup central axle disconnect.

Skysail is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC