Belts! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,450
Belts!

So I just put new belts on my jeep, and have driven it 150 miles, they squeal really bad when starting it up and giving it some gas, I did not oil them, could this be why?

__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
mwx
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 25
Check the tension and make sure they're good and tight.
Also - oil of any kind on the belts will attract dirt and severely lessen the lifespan of the belt. Not a good idea. Not to mention the oil would spray around all over the inside of the engine compartment.

My suspicion would be that there are other issues with the pulleys.

mwx is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
OverkillYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,904
Something is probably on its way out, like a bearing, alternator, water pump, something like that.
__________________
Complete rebuild axle/engine/everything swap in progress:
Parts already gathered for assembly: 2001 Ford 302, 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 ECU and wiring, NP435, NP205, Pair of axles from 04' F350 SuperDuty (Sterling 10.5 Posi rear, Dana 60HP Front-Both Disk Brakes 3.73 Gears), 37" H1 Tires, 9" lift TJ Coils for 2 link conversion in front, Stage 2 Clutch Kit, 3 Row Aluminum Radiator, Chevy Astro Steering box (4" front Stretch), XJ Rear Leaf Springs (6" Rear Stretch), and lots more.
OverkillYJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,450
Well my power steering one isn't that tight, also what kind of bearing? I already replaced my water pump, how bad would it be if Somthing went out?
__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,450
And also, I have to drive 150 to get back home, should I be fine?
__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,450
An also when I get slow down and let the Rpms drop it shuts off
__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Why did you replace the belts in the first place?
Wrangler96 is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler96 View Post
Why did you replace the belts in the first place?
They were cracked and I haven't replaced them since I bought it a year ago
__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
WGHyrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 202
My belt was doing that. It was squealing against a tensioner. I adjusted the tension and used the Car Talk method: bon ami. Just sprinkle some on the belt and run the engine for a bit. It will rough up the smooth belt just enough to stop the squealing without damaging it.
__________________
[]|||||||[]
Putting on a coat is better than putting on my soft top.
WGHyrum is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGHyrum View Post
My belt was doing that. It was squealing against a tensioner. I adjusted the tension and used the Car Talk method: bon ami. Just sprinkle some on the belt and run the engine for a bit. It will rough up the smooth belt just enough to stop the squealing without damaging it.
Where is the tension? And what do I use?
__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
WGHyrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianbeaulieu View Post

Where is the tension? And what do I use?
On my 95 2.5, it is a captive bolt on the right (looking from the front) of the belt. I can't remember what size hex bolt it is. I will take pics of it and upload them tomorrow morning.
__________________
[]|||||||[]
Putting on a coat is better than putting on my soft top.
WGHyrum is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGHyrum View Post

On my 95 2.5, it is a captive bolt on the right (looking from the front) of the belt. I can't remember what size hex bolt it is. I will take pics of it and upload them tomorrow morning.
Okay thank you
__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 793
How loose is your belt and what type belt is it a serpentine belt or do you have v-belts.

The trick he is mentioning is using an abrasive household cleaner such as "Comet" "Bon-am" or something along those lines. Powder kind preferably

sometimes the belt will squeak if you have it to loose and the pulley can not grap like it should it will want to slip and squeak.

Check your tension if it is a serpentine belt push down on it, it should not move down more than 1/4 of an inch or so ,from between the ac pulley if you have one and the PS pulley, can not remember now the exact amount of distance if it does it is to loose. You can google this belt check method and it will walk you through it. The idler pulley is under the PS pulley for your model year if I remember correctly and is a fixed pulley that is smaller than the rest fixed means that it has one bolt going directly through the center of it. It is a #8 grade bolt fairly heavy duty.
89Saharagreen is offline   Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Saharagreen View Post
How loose is your belt and what type belt is it a serpentine belt or do you have v-belts.

The trick he is mentioning is using an abrasive household cleaner such as "Comet" "Bon-am" or something along those lines. Powder kind preferably

sometimes the belt will squeak if you have it to loose and the pulley can not grap like it should it will want to slip and squeak.

Check your tension if it is a serpentine belt push down on it, it should not move down more than 1/4 of an inch or so ,from between the ac pulley if you have one and the PS pulley, can not remember now the exact amount of distance if it does it is to loose. You can google this belt check method and it will walk you through it. The idler pulley is under the PS pulley for your model year if I remember correctly and is a fixed pulley that is smaller than the rest fixed means that it has one bolt going directly through the center of it. It is a #8 grade bolt fairly heavy duty.
I have v belts, my setup is alittle different, I have like three v belts
__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
WGHyrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 202
Then I guess the picture I was just avout to upload won't help. I have a serpentine belt.
__________________
[]|||||||[]
Putting on a coat is better than putting on my soft top.
WGHyrum is offline   Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Scott-CJ8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianbeaulieu View Post
I have v belts, my setup is alittle different, I have like three v belts
You should be able to adjust the tension on the alternator belt by loosening the bottom bolt on the alternator, and also the top bolt, then pull or pry the alternator to add tension to get the belt tight. Sometimes it helps to have someone help you and tighten up the bolt while you hold pressure on the alternator to keep it tight. Tighten top bolt to hold, then tighten bottom bolt.
The PS should work the same way.
__________________
It's a Jeep Thing ... I do understand!

Scott
1993 Jeep Wrangler - 2.5" RC Suspension Lift, 31" Mud Tires, powered by 4 angry squirrels
Scott-CJ8 is offline   Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-CJ8 View Post
You should be able to adjust the tension on the alternator belt by loosening the bottom bolt on the alternator, and also the top bolt, then pull or pry the alternator to add tension to get the belt tight. Sometimes it helps to have someone help you and tighten up the bolt while you hold pressure on the alternator to keep it tight. Tighten top bolt to hold, then tighten bottom bolt.
The PS should work the same way.
Will you take a picture of the power steering side also?

__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC