Bigger Battery??????????????? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Jackson, Tx
Posts: 18
Bigger Battery???????????????

Ok so the battery I have in my 95 jeep right now is a Duralast 540CCA... I have just recently installed a Quadratec 9000 winch, I installed 4 Delta lights on the offroad bumper, 6 rectangle pro burner series lights to make a hood light bar and then 2 round delta windshield lights... Some of the research I've been seeing suggest a bigger battery. But I really don't want to get a bigger alternator. What have y'all done? Is the bigger battery the only way to go? I'm not savoy when it comes to any o this so I appreciate everyone's input...

Joejo7883 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Mowrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Tampa Fl.
Posts: 1,728
I added a second battery to my 95 it will handle the extra stuff but the stock alternator struggles to charge two batteries.

__________________
95 YJ 2.5 5 speed 33" Mud Rovers SOA
A frustrating WORK IN PROGRESS
Mowrangler is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Jackson, Tx
Posts: 18
What's size battery did you get and where did you install it?
Joejo7883 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Mowrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Tampa Fl.
Posts: 1,728
I lengthened the battery box toward the front an added a 51 series Honda battery along with the original 24 series battery.
__________________
95 YJ 2.5 5 speed 33" Mud Rovers SOA
A frustrating WORK IN PROGRESS
Mowrangler is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,557
A group 65 will fit in a stock tray, what diesel trucks use
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Jackson, Tx
Posts: 18
Awesome thanks for all the info...
Joejo7883 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Ez roller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 74
I pulled my tray out and modified it , did a little welding and got the biggest oddesey battery I could find to fit, as far as batteries go oddesey is number one in my book been in the jeep for six years no problems, I Bert up two yellow tops before that they only lasted a year, oddesey is $ expensive but worth every penny, they make many sizes and there dry cells, so no acid leaking , if ya flop your rig on the side
Ez roller is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Monroe, Or
Posts: 638
If your stock Alt ever goes the way of the dodo, a 136 Amp Alternator from

97-98 Dodge B.Series Van
97-98 Dodge Dakota
98 Dodge Durango
97-98 Dodge Ram Pickup
97-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee

is a 95% drop in. Change the Pulley and swap out a wire end. MIGHT have to do a teeny bit of grinding on the bracket but nothing serious.


Far as Batteries go, get an Odyssey. GREAT battery
__________________
1993 YJ 4.0, 5 Speed, 3.55 (for now)
2000 Durango 4.7, 5 Speed Auto, 3.92
TrailBlazing Gear Post
Project Ole Grey
Locruid is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:10 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Mowrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Tampa Fl.
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locruid View Post
If your stock Alt ever goes the way of the dodo, a 136 Amp Alternator from

97-98 Dodge B.Series Van
97-98 Dodge Dakota
98 Dodge Durango
97-98 Dodge Ram Pickup
97-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee

is a 95% drop in. Change the Pulley and swap out a wire end. MIGHT have to do a teeny bit of grinding on the bracket but nothing serious.


Far as Batteries go, get an Odyssey. GREAT battery

What motors are in those vehicles ? 5.2?
__________________
95 YJ 2.5 5 speed 33" Mud Rovers SOA
A frustrating WORK IN PROGRESS
Mowrangler is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Monroe, Or
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowrangler View Post
What motors are in those vehicles ? 5.2?
That would've helped wouldn't it? LOL

ALL of them share 2 different motors...the 318 5.2 and the 360 5.9. A couple also share the 3.9 V6 but we can safely rule that one out.

So the answer is 318 5.2
(I should stop typing so late at night :P)
__________________
1993 YJ 4.0, 5 Speed, 3.55 (for now)
2000 Durango 4.7, 5 Speed Auto, 3.92
TrailBlazing Gear Post
Project Ole Grey
Locruid is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
manasterskimike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: jackson ca
Posts: 90
i have a excide deep cycle battery in my jeep and run my lights and winch with no problems it is a spiral cell batt it was $$ but in my opinion i would rather spend the money than be broke down somewhere. but i also have a upgrade alt aswell i think it is a green machine and is a champ at charging both of my batts
manasterskimike is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Jackson, Tx
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by manasterskimike View Post
i have a excide deep cycle battery in my jeep and run my lights and winch with no problems it is a spiral cell batt it was $$ but in my opinion i would rather spend the money than be broke down somewhere. but i also have a upgrade alt aswell i think it is a green machine and is a champ at charging both of my batts

What size was the battery like cold cranking amps and also what size alt did you go up to
Joejo7883 is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
MAZE51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejo7883 View Post
Ok so the battery I have in my 95 jeep right now is a Duralast 540CCA... I have just recently installed a Quadratec 9000 winch, I installed 4 Delta lights on the offroad bumper, 6 rectangle pro burner series lights to make a hood light bar and then 2 round delta windshield lights... Some of the research I've been seeing suggest a bigger battery. But I really don't want to get a bigger alternator. What have y'all done? Is the bigger battery the only way to go? I'm not savoy when it comes to any o this so I appreciate everyone's input...
I personally would look of the highest amp alternator you can find. I have a custom 1955 Chevy and I run a 220 amp alternator to replace power drawn from an ass kick n' stereo and my Hurricane electric fan. Your goal should be to replace the draw, and a 100 amp alternator will not cut it with all the goodies you listed if everything was running at the same time.
MAZE51 is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Monster93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 643
For a dual battery setup it's also good idea to run some sort of battery isolator to split voltage to charge both without burning up your alternator or buying a dual output high amp alternator,
__________________
Monster 93 Build Thread


1993 YJ. 6" BDS 38's
2010 Rubicon 5.5 Rock Krawler coilover 38's
2014 Dodge Ram sport 2" level 33's
Monster93 is offline   Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Jackson, Tx
Posts: 18
Alright so I ended up getting an 800cca optima battery, what size alternator should I get, I'm guessing the one I have now is like a 70-75amp?

Joejo7883 is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
1995 jeep wrangler , battery , offroad lights , winch

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC