Bumpy - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
Newb
 
german49ers00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 10
Bumpy

how do I make my 1992 keep wrangler yj less bumpy ever little hole it's crazy how it's jumps?

german49ers00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 05:29 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Fabrokoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Plymouth, CT
Posts: 347
Well your suspension is probably worn out seeing as how it's 20+ years old. But lubing and retorquing the leaf spring and shackle bolts should probably help. I think a lot of guys on here set them to 50 ft/lbs, but don't quote me on that.

Fabrokoner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 06:01 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Pittsburghwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 915
new suspension would be the ultimate, thats what i am saving for someday but other than that how old are your shocks?
Pittsburghwrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Jkilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: McKeesport,Pa
Posts: 199
Send a message via Yahoo to Jkilbert
Like everyone else said worn suspension parts will allow it to bounce more. But don't forget you have a short wheelbase, light vehicle with leaf springs, it's going to be a somewhat bouncy ride. After all, it's a Jeep.
Jkilbert is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Pittsburghwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkilbert View Post
Like everyone else said worn suspension parts will allow it to bounce more. But don't forget you have a short wheelbase, light vehicle with leaf springs, it's going to be a somewhat bouncy ride. After all, it's a Jeep.
Its a Jeep thing for sure. I assumed that they meant that it was uncommonly bumpy, for example before i replaced my rear shocks last year every time my back wheels went over a bump i literally left the seat. its still hops like a jeep but now it is controlable
Pittsburghwrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California
Posts: 82
For me, there is a difference between "bumpy" and "bouncy." Mine has brand new suspension (89 YJ) but it's still bumpy as all get out. Bouncy, in my vocabulary, would be like a really tired suspension system and so the bouncing would linger on every bump. Mine doesn't bounce like that. It's more of a jarring that I can feel through my entire spine on every bump. Stiff would be another good word for the way mine is too. It's as if it has no give at all on bumps but it's still controllable.

Are you unable to maintain good control because of bounciness or are you talking more of the stiff, jarring experience like I described?
__________________
Michael Larsen
Sunny Southern Taxifornia Denizen

JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket
Michael_Larsen is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
samizdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 415
The shocks may be too stiff. I just replaced mine with Monroe Matics. I'm running a stock suspension with 30" tires so, Rancho's would have been too stiff. It made a huge difference. I was feeling every crack as you said. That is gone. The railroad tracks were the worst. That isn't as bad now. A new steering stabilizer helped control it also. I removed my front and rear track bar too as well as lubing the front shackle bolts and torquing to 45 ft/lbs.
__________________
97 TJ Sport, 4.0, AX-15, 4" lift, Rancho 5000's, Pro Comp ES2000 Stabilizer, JKS discos, T-Case drop, Rampage top, Sony/Sirius deck, 33" Firestone Destination MT's
samizdad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 244
If the leafs are an inferior design & poor quality, it's going to be difficult to control even with a high quality tuned shock.

Here's my cut on things......

Use a top quality leaf that gets you to the height you want/need.

Then use a top quality shock that's specifically tuned for the type driving you generally use it for.

The shock (if it's a top quality shock, coupled to a top quality leaf/bushing/shackle) will control the cycling of the suspension & the ride will be far better.

If you remove any component from the combination, you'll have an inferior ride.
Joe Dillard is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Pittsburghwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
If the leafs are an inferior design & poor quality, it's going to be difficult to control even with a high quality tuned shock.

Here's my cut on things......

Use a top quality leaf that gets you to the height you want/need.

Then use a top quality shock that's specifically tuned for the type driving you generally use it for.

The shock (if it's a top quality shock, coupled to a top quality leaf/bushing/shackle) will control the cycling of the suspension & the ride will be far better.

If you remove any component from the combination, you'll have an inferior ride.
^ X2. I was just going for the budget solution i.e. what can i do to make this controllable until i can afford the suspension system i want someday
Pittsburghwrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
Newb
 
german49ers00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 10
I just put a 3.5 inch lift kit like 3 years ago but it's been like that once I put the lift kit on. Everything is new I think it's the shocks are to stiff or is it something else?
german49ers00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Pittsburghwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 915
well you still havnt said is it an abnormally hard bouncing? All jeeps are a bit rough when it comes to potholes and stuff, they have to be in order for them to function properly offroad
Pittsburghwrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
1st87yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NE Iowa
Posts: 243
A friend of mine put a four inch lift on his yj and complained of a terrible ride. I read a few threads on here and we raised jeep up loosened all bolts on springs shackles ect. Lowerd jeep and retorqued all bolts. Jeep rode way better.

Long story short...did u install the lift yourself? Was It on the ground when tightend up? And what ride do you have?like said above. .bouncy or bumpy?
1st87yj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
Newb
 
german49ers00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 10
It's bumpy like when the road it's smooth everything is ok but I just pass by I little bump or crack in the road it feels like it's going to nock a teeth out my mouth. And les schwab put the lift kit on my jeep I don't know how they did it
german49ers00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #14
jokerchief462

WF Supporting Member
 
jokerchief462's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Las Vegas
Posts: 9,294
Common problem.

Jack until all four wheels are off the ground.

Go to each shackle and loosen the nuts at all connecting bolts.

Down jack and have ride weight in all four wheels

Jump up and down in the bumpers to cycle the suspension

Retorque all shackle fasteners

Mine are 45 ft/lbs with nylon locking nuts my preference.

What happened is they tightened it up and it is not cycling. The shackles should move freely when you hit a bump. They are not moving right now and your rough ride is all leaf spring no shackle movement
__________________
89 2.5 TBI, 4" RC lift, 1" Booms, SYE, Adams Driveshafts front and rear, Ford 8.8 with 4:88s, BFG 33X12.50X15, and a ton of other stuff.

AF Jeep Club Tail Number 184
jokerchief462 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #15
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6
I'm having the same problem with my 90 YJ. I just bought new shocks, entire tie rod system, steering damper, links for front and back, front & rear bushings & shackles, and pretty much everything except the leaf springs.

I haven't installed any of it yet and I was wondering, when I drop the leafs to do the work is there a way to measure them to see if the curve is up to spec's? I've searched the web and can't find any data on what leaf springs should measure? I'd like to check them before spending another $400+ for new ones.

And if they are not up to spec can they be re-bent?
ddrdan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
1st87yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NE Iowa
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrdan View Post
I'm having the same problem with my 90 YJ. I just bought new shocks, entire tie rod system, steering damper, links for front and back, front & rear bushings & shackles, and pretty much everything except the leaf springs.

I haven't installed any of it yet and I was wondering, when I drop the leafs to do the work is there a way to measure them to see if the curve is up to spec's? I've searched the web and can't find any data on what leaf springs should measure? I'd like to check them before spending another $400+ for new ones.

And if they are not up to spec can they be re-bent?
Stock springs are flat. Is your jeep lifted?
1st87yj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
ThePhantomPatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Delta, PA
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by german49ers00 View Post
how do I make my 1992 keep wrangler yj less bumpy ever little hole it's crazy how it's jumps?
All Wranglers I've driven whether it was a YJ or TJ would bounce pretty good when hitting a pothole or rut, the suspensions are just stiff. But, if by bumpy you mean swaying I had that issue.

Once I hit about 30-35mph I had to keep turning the wheel left, right, left, to keep it straight like the alignment was out or the steering was loose and when I hit a bump it was even harder to keep straight. Some guys think it's the castor angle of the front wheels due to lifting and other guys recommend adjusting the power steering motor to tighten the steering. My problem was neither, my rear strut bar was shot.

I took it to the shop and they test drove it and checked the suspension over real good, everything looked good until they started wiggling the different parts by hand and found the bushings on the rear strut were shot causing the jeep to sway in the rear and be all over the road. Driving highway speeds was a challenge to keep it straight as the jeep would drift side to side. Now I can easily hit highway speeds without drifting side to side in my lane.
__________________
1995 - 2.5L Low Output Wrongler
ThePhantomPatriot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ronkonkoma , longisland
Posts: 36
Images: 9
want a softer ride , on 33s they say 35pis. but that's per tire on a 7000 pound truck. I droped mine down to 20 pis ran a chalk line across the tire and drove it for about 200 feet and and the line removed off the tire even. best part it was like going from leafs to coils night and day.
jojojeep1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Pittsburghwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojeep1 View Post
want a softer ride , on 33s they say 35pis. but that's per tire on a 7000 pound truck. I droped mine down to 20 pis ran a chalk line across the tire and drove it for about 200 feet and and the line removed off the tire even. best part it was like going from leafs to coils night and day.
Well if that works for you then good. Im on stock size tires so it might make a difference but if i let the psi down below 30 then turning at any speed above 20mph feels like crap, it just feels sloppy as heck
__________________
1995 YJ Rio Grande 2.5l I4 Auto, random cheap mods, saving money for BDS (or OME still undecided) 2.5" lift
Pittsburghwrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Majnoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Springfield Missouri
Posts: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburghwrangler View Post
Well if that works for you then good. Im on stock size tires so it might make a difference but if i let the psi down below 30 then turning at any speed above 20mph feels like crap, it just feels sloppy as heck
Holy cow! I think you just solved something for me. Lol. It makes total since. Just felt stupid when I switched to my winter tires on 15s the summers are on my factory 16 sahara wheels. I'm airing up in the am. Thanks brother.
Majnoon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Pittsburghwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majnoon View Post

Holy cow! I think you just solved something for me. Lol. It makes total since. Just felt stupid when I switched to my winter tires on 15s the summers are on my factory 16 sahara wheels. I'm airing up in the am. Thanks brother.
Haha no problem

__________________
1995 YJ Rio Grande 2.5l I4 Auto, random cheap mods, saving money for BDS (or OME still undecided) 2.5" lift
Pittsburghwrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC