Clutch shifting problem HELP - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1
Clutch shifting problem HELP

So I recently bought a 1997 jeep wrangler with a 130,000 miles on it. Before I had bought it the man before replaced the clutch in a shop. I have been having problems shifting the jeep while I am at a stand still. First and second gear are the only ones that are trouble some. Reverse also grinds when I try from a stand still. If I completely stop and try to shift it into first gear it wont go it. I have to rev the engine to about 3000 rpm before it will go in. I believed bleeding the master cylinder would work which it did temporarily... So eventually I replaced the whole master cylinder. Story is that didn't fix it either. I'm running out of Ideas and clue on what to do next...?!

conradz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
jokerchief462

WF Supporting Member
 
jokerchief462's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Las Vegas
Posts: 9,135
First welcome to the forum but your 97 TJ post is in the YJ pages.

The slave cylinder may also be bad or maybe the clutch is done for. Either way you could do the slave change and see if that works and then look into a new clutch.

__________________
89 2.5 TBI, 4" RC lift, 1" Booms, SYE, Adams Driveshafts front and rear, Ford 8.8 with 4:88s, BFG 33X12.50X15, and a ton of other stuff.

AF Jeep Club Tail Number 184
jokerchief462 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Redtj04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cecil, Alabama
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradz View Post
So I recently bought a 1997 jeep wrangler with a 130,000 miles on it. Before I had bought it the man before replaced the clutch in a shop. I have been having problems shifting the jeep while I am at a stand still. First and second gear are the only ones that are trouble some. Reverse also grinds when I try from a stand still. If I completely stop and try to shift it into first gear it wont go it. I have to rev the engine to about 3000 rpm before it will go in. I believed bleeding the master cylinder would work which it did temporarily... So eventually I replaced the whole master cylinder. Story is that didn't fix it either. I'm running out of Ideas and clue on what to do next...?!
i have the same problem and today my clutch broke. It quit taking gears and it wouldnt come out of gear. When i push on the clutch it has no feeling, it moves freely with nothing happening to the transmission please help i am going to get it woked on today i want to know how much it should cost
Redtj04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
JWBooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtj04 View Post
i have the same problem and today my clutch broke. It quit taking gears and it wouldnt come out of gear. When i push on the clutch it has no feeling, it moves freely with nothing happening to the transmission please help i am going to get it woked on today i want to know how much it should cost
You know 94's a YJ, right? I mean, not that it matters (but if is a TJ, it doesn't have a clutch or transmission. Rather, it has 3 My Pretty Ponies locked in a cage attached to the engine which runs on giggles and cupcakes because TJ's are sissy-mobiles. That's just what I read on some forum somewhere).

Okay, I had the same problem that got progressively worse over a month or so. Started as a weak clutch and leaky slave cylinder. There's A TON of posts in the YJ forum right addressing this specific issue in great detail. Search for weak clutch, bad slave cylinder, replacing slave, etc. If the master resivoir is dry and fluid's not running down the firewall or hose isn't leaking, there's a 99.9% chance your slave cylinder took a DOT3 dirt nap and has gotta be replaced.

NOW, all that said, do you have an internal or external slave?
JWBooth is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
jokerchief462

WF Supporting Member
 
jokerchief462's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Las Vegas
Posts: 9,135
JW we have created a monster!!!!
__________________
89 2.5 TBI, 4" RC lift, 1" Booms, SYE, Adams Driveshafts front and rear, Ford 8.8 with 4:88s, BFG 33X12.50X15, and a ton of other stuff.

AF Jeep Club Tail Number 184
jokerchief462 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Redtj04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cecil, Alabama
Posts: 37
I know his is diffrent than mine. I was trying to see if anybody could help me. I have the same problems and i thought maybe yall could help. Sorry i asked any questions
Redtj04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
jokerchief462

WF Supporting Member
 
jokerchief462's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Las Vegas
Posts: 9,135
Ask away I am sure there is few of us who can help.
__________________
89 2.5 TBI, 4" RC lift, 1" Booms, SYE, Adams Driveshafts front and rear, Ford 8.8 with 4:88s, BFG 33X12.50X15, and a ton of other stuff.

AF Jeep Club Tail Number 184
jokerchief462 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
JWBooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
JW we have created a monster!!!!
Good Lord man, it's contagious!!!! It's the Curse of the CLUTCH!!!

On a lighter note, it's been absolutely pissing here since around noon and my top's off.
JWBooth is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
JWBooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtj04 View Post
I know his is diffrent than mine. I was trying to see if anybody could help me. I have the same problems and i thought maybe yall could help. Sorry i asked any questions
C'mon man, don't get all pouty. These guys are here to help!!! THIS FORUM IS FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT FIXING YOUR JEEP. Within the last 2 wks, there's been a TON of clutch/master/slave threads on here, the majority go into great detail addressing specifics symptoms, likely issues and repair solutions. Use the search function and search "replacing slave" or "no clutch pressure", you'll come up with a bountiful selection of useful knowledge that'll make a Haynes manual look inadequate.

Tell me this: How do you know yours is "different than mine"?
JWBooth is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
CPRJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradz View Post
So I recently bought a 1997 jeep wrangler with a 130,000 miles on it. Before I had bought it the man before replaced the clutch in a shop. I have been having problems shifting the jeep while I am at a stand still. First and second gear are the only ones that are trouble some. Reverse also grinds when I try from a stand still. If I completely stop and try to shift it into first gear it wont go it. I have to rev the engine to about 3000 rpm before it will go in. I believed bleeding the master cylinder would work which it did temporarily... So eventually I replaced the whole master cylinder. Story is that didn't fix it either. I'm running out of Ideas and clue on what to do next...?!

excuse me resurrecting the forum, but I have the same issue, and I'm just wondering if you found the problem? One mechanic says its my syncros, but reverse doesnt have a syncro and to my understanding, neither does first? another trasnny mechanic says its my clutch. My clutch feels fine, it have great response, but when the jeeps on its ahrd to shift into first and second, when its off, no problem. Oh and reversegarinds also, sound familiar? Now before the mod gets on my ass for bringing up a dead thread, i have posted a thread and searched, but i've tried all of the sugestions the lovely little forum people have given me and nothing has worked yet. Even the 'know-it-alls' on JF didnt have an answer, one guy actually said it was a problem with my TC (I have a manual obviously) So if the new guy has stuck around the forum long enough, i would like to know what your problwem ended up being.

P.S. all of this starting happening after I had a 4.0 (stock) to an ATK 4.0 engine swap.

Yes, I know I have a TJ, but aren't we all just Jeepers here!
CPRJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
markgrozYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Niagara Falls/Buffalo
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRJeeper View Post

excuse me resurrecting the forum, but I have the same issue, and I'm just wondering if you found the problem? One mechanic says its my syncros, but reverse doesnt have a syncro and to my understanding, neither does first? another trasnny mechanic says its my clutch. My clutch feels fine, it have great response, but when the jeeps on its ahrd to shift into first and second, when its off, no problem. Oh and reversegarinds also, sound familiar? Now before the mod gets on my ass for bringing up a dead thread, i have posted a thread and searched, but i've tried all of the sugestions the lovely little forum people have given me and nothing has worked yet. Even the 'know-it-alls' on JF didnt have an answer, one guy actually said it was a problem with my TC (I have a manual obviously) So if the new guy has stuck around the forum long enough, i would like to know what your problwem ended up being.

P.S. all of this starting happening after I had a 4.0 (stock) to an ATK 4.0 engine swap.

Yes, I know I have a TJ, but aren't we all just Jeepers here!
I was having the exact same problem in my YJ (hard to get into first and second... and reverse grinding)... some guys advised me to change the transmission oil and to possibly replace the slave cylinder. They told me that it was most likely not synchros
__________________
Stock, and saving!
markgrozYJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 01:07 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
CPRJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgrozYJ View Post
I was having the exact same problem in my YJ (hard to get into first and second... and reverse grinding)... some guys advised me to change the transmission oil and to possibly replace the slave cylinder. They told me that it was most likely not synchros
You were having? How'd you fix it? And I can tell you now lol, fluid change didn't to jack squat. I haven't really considered change the slave or master because the clutch feels fine
CPRJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #13
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Sorry guys I don't know how to post my own thread but I'm having problems last night while driving everything was fine and once I get to a stop sign and try going again my jeep would not go in any gear at all even when turned off it still won't go in any gear clutch seems like it's always been still has pressure but just won't go in gear at all I have a 98 Sahara
Any help?
Babyshaq is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 82
I had this too, its like when i turn on my jeep the clutch doesnt work but when jeep is off it works perfectly. From it not working while jeep is on im thinking my fluid needs changed there. Which i just bought this 88 yj a week ago and some things def. need changed. I hope I dont ahve to replace anything. Im going to change the transmission fluid and the master cylinder fluid. Hopefully it cures all
An awesome dude on here actually has been helping "refresh" my jeep if you will and he adv this solution. HOpefully when im off work this helps it!
If anyone has more info that worked for them id love to hear all thoughts too
88redyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
markgrozYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Niagara Falls/Buffalo
Posts: 203
I had the same problem not getting my jeep in gear, almost like my clutch wasn't working at its full potential. I bled the slave cylinder and refilled the fluid and it shifts great now...it was pretty easy too
__________________
Stock, and saving!
markgrozYJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2014, 11:08 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 82
Bump for other opinions too cuz my jeep is still parked from my problem
88redyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 75
Very simple test to perform.
Pump your pedal then try shifting. If it works, your hydros took a crap. Time to change. And do yourself a favour if it works, swap both. Not just one. Very common to swap one and the other craps out a month later. Buy the prebled kit and spend the 45 mins and do both. You don't just swap one brake pad at a time do you? Do both.
LittleGreenYJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 82
Nope didn't work
88redyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88redyj View Post
Nope didn't work
How many times did you pump the pedal? You want to press it (fast) about ten times. Then on the last pump, hold and shift to first. Your symptoms say hydraulics.

LittleGreenYJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
clutch , help advice , master cylinder , problems , shifting

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC