Do I need an coolant overflow tank? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11
Do I need an coolant overflow tank?

93 4.0 Was overhauling the coolant system and see there is no overflow tank. The overflow hose just runs down towards the ground.

Is one needed/recommended? Thanks

Payyourtoll is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Inked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 100
Unless you don't mind getting coolant all over your garage floor when your rad is hot then no you don't need one I have one, it saves my dog from licking it up and dying...apparently the coolant is sort of sweet and animals like the taste.

Inked is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
4x4mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 28
You do need one b/c the coolant will expand when hot so it will flow into the overflow and then when it cools it will suck the coolant back. And if its running to the ground you will have to keep refilling it with coolant b/c it is leaking onto the ground.
4x4mike is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 88
A proper cooling system needs the right cap and an overflow. Is there for a reason
__________________
Location: 3 Hours from Little Sahara Dunes
4 Hours from St. Anthony Dunes
4.5 hours from MOAB
DamnBigPapa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12
I have run my jeep for a year without one. It's not a problem and won't kill animals once the radiator has been up to operating temp. After the cooling system is at it's warmest (and spit coolant out of the radiator overflow hose), it will cool off and look low. Don't put any more coolant in it because when it warms back up, the coolant expands again and the radiator core is full. As long as you don't have a leaking cooling system, you never need to add coolant until you replace it. Years ago coolant tanks didn't exist. Is a coolant tank more eco friendly? I guess but I have had coolant on the floor of the shop and it is not a magnet for dogs. Never lost a dog from drinking coolant. Keep in mind my dogs have always had fresh water to drink so they aren't dying for a drink either.
Flingit1200s is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
draarong2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flingit1200s View Post
I have run my jeep for a year without one. It's not a problem and won't kill animals once the radiator has been up to operating temp. After the cooling system is at it's warmest (and spit coolant out of the radiator overflow hose), it will cool off and look low. Don't put any more coolant in it because when it warms back up, the coolant expands again and the radiator core is full. As long as you don't have a leaking cooling system, you never need to add coolant until you replace it. Years ago coolant tanks didn't exist. Is a coolant tank more eco friendly? I guess but I have had coolant on the floor of the shop and it is not a magnet for dogs. Never lost a dog from drinking coolant. Keep in mind my dogs have always had fresh water to drink so they aren't dying for a drink either.
i wouldn't listen to a thing this person says......anyone in their right mind knows radiator fluid is poison for dogs, idk what planet your from, but its not this one.

and i'd like to know how many years ago coolant tanks didn't exsist? because even my grandfathers 1940 buick special 8 had one....its there for a reason, coolant expands and retracts as its heated and cooled, even rat rods have overflows.
draarong2004 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Tony 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Norwalk,CT
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by draarong2004
i wouldn't listen to a thing this person says......anyone in their right mind knows radiator fluid is poison for dogs, idk what planet your from, but its not this one.

and i'd like to know how many years ago coolant tanks didn't exsist? because even my grandfathers 1940 buick special 8 had one....its there for a reason, coolant expands and retracts as its heated and cooled, even rat rods have overflows.
2x agreed. This person shouldn't even drive a jeep.
Tony 76 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12
Ok.....I'll repeat in case someone actually reads what I type. I did not say that antifeeze was good for dogs to drink. It's even bad for humans to drink. I said I have never seen one drink it when water was available. I'm still searching the web for a pic of a 1940 Buick with a recapture tank for the cooling system. I'm thinking that the tanks became popular in the 70's. I've owned heavy over the road trucks that never had a tank from the factory. It's simple physics as far as the expansion of the fluid goes. I'm just sharing my experiences. My jeep doesn't drip one drop of coolant in my garage when I park it in my garage. Please feel free to believe whatever you like.
Flingit1200s is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12
oh btw..........my cj5 that I had back in the 70's didn't have a recapture tank on it either........lol
Flingit1200s is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,335
Images: 1
Just to answer a specific question. Most all 50's, 60's and early 70's vehicles did not have expansion tanks. However, they ran different pressures off of the radiator caps and the coolant/anti-freeze did not leak out unless there was a problem with the system. You used to check the coolant level by opening the radiator cap "cold" and the coolant would be an inch or two below the cap which allowed for expansion. If you happened to overfill it, it was pushed out through the over flow hose onto the ground. Not real eco friendly and definately not good for any animals. The closed systems are more efficient and are needed in computer controlled vehicles to maintain certain temperature tolerances which makes the engine actually perform better with less emissions. Back in the day there were no computers, etc. and emissions in 49 states was a maybe a pcv and oil fumes were recirculated through the air cleaner. Coolant can most definately be deadly to animals.
kik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Got_Mud?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 347
not for nothing, but my 68' Chevelle had one factory, as did my 64 Olds F85... but that's just me.. and as far as the "have water" goes, my dogs (and years ago, my kids) would have MUCH rather had sweet-tasting than plain tasting.... and I have four (4) dogs.... Just an observation....
__________________
In dog beers, I've only had one.....
Got_Mud? is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Tony 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Norwalk,CT
Posts: 453
All I know is every time I've seen a dog around antifreeze it's like they know it's sweet tasting and they go for it. Maybe it's the smell but they go for it. So to say it wont do anything to dogs or other animals is false it's irresponsible and down right mean. An flingit 1200's we ain't saying you said it was good for animals but you said it wouldn't kill them and that's not true cause it can kill them I have a friend who lost a dog cause like an idiot he was working on his car and left a catch can full of antifreeze on the ground when he looked it was empty. And guess who drank it? His 3 month old pitbull.
Tony 76 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 88
Thirsty dogs and 60s Buicks aside ... Put a damn puke tank in it. The engineers that designed the system just might have been smart guys. Its inexpensive and it serves a purpose. There's absolutely no gain in getting rid of it.
__________________
Location: 3 Hours from Little Sahara Dunes
4 Hours from St. Anthony Dunes
4.5 hours from MOAB
DamnBigPapa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by kik View Post
Just to answer a specific question. Most all 50's, 60's and early 70's vehicles did not have expansion tanks. However, they ran different pressures off of the radiator caps and the coolant/anti-freeze did not leak out unless there was a problem with the system. You used to check the coolant level by opening the radiator cap "cold" and the coolant would be an inch or two below the cap which allowed for expansion. If you happened to overfill it, it was pushed out through the over flow hose onto the ground. Not real eco friendly and definately not good for any animals. The closed systems are more efficient and are needed in computer controlled vehicles to maintain certain temperature tolerances which makes the engine actually perform better with less emissions. Back in the day there were no computers, etc. and emissions in 49 states was a maybe a pcv and oil fumes were recirculated through the air cleaner. Coolant can most definately be deadly to animals.
Yup. My 68 Cutlass doesn't have one. Will probably put one there eventually, but it didn't come with one, and I daily drove the thing for two years without any issues (beyond the air pockets that plagued it for about a month after getting it on the road).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony 76 View Post
All I know is every time I've seen a dog around antifreeze it's like they know it's sweet tasting and they go for it. Maybe it's the smell but they go for it. So to say it wont do anything to dogs or other animals is false it's irresponsible and down right mean. An flingit 1200's we ain't saying you said it was good for animals but you said it wouldn't kill them
That is not at all what he said. He said he's never had a dog die from drinking antifreeze...as in his dogs never drank the stuff, and therefore, never died from it.

Lets read people...com'on. Personally, I wouldn't let my dogs anywhere near it...not worth the risk.
__________________
--------------------------------
Jeep Snobs Are The Worst
--------------------------------
Bubba68CS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
scott howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: wichita falls texas
Posts: 1,035
They make non-toxic coolant for those really concerned about the danger to pets.
To answer the main question no you do not need a over flow tank .
But it is a good idea and you can get a stock plastic one or a cool looking billet aluminum one from places like speedway.com and others.
And make sure your running a fail safe thermostat . Best money you can spend.
__________________
Scott Howard
940-444-1972
scott howard is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Tony 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Norwalk,CT
Posts: 453
Bubba68 go back and read his original post he said it wouldn't kill them I know what I read
Tony 76 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Tony 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Norwalk,CT
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flingit1200s
I have run my jeep for a year without one. It's not a problem and won't kill animals once the radiator has been up to operating temp. After the cooling system is at it's warmest (and spit coolant out of the radiator overflow hose), it will cool off and look low. Don't put any more coolant in it because when it warms back up, the coolant expands again and the radiator core is full. As long as you don't have a leaking cooling system, you never need to add coolant until you replace it. Years ago coolant tanks didn't exist. Is a coolant tank more eco friendly? I guess but I have had coolant on the floor of the shop and it is not a magnet for dogs. Never lost a dog from drinking coolant. Keep in mind my dogs have always had fresh water to drink so they aren't dying for a drink either.
This is so you can all read it again he said it won't kill animals I'm not being a jerk I'm just reposting so maybe next time before folks decide to stand up for some one else you read everything that was written by that person. Before you say some one else is lying.
Tony 76 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flingit1200s View Post
I have run my jeep for a year without one. It's not a problem and won't kill animals once the radiator has been up to operating temp. After the cooling system is at it's warmest (and spit coolant out of the radiator overflow hose), it will cool off and look low. Don't put any more coolant in it because when it warms back up, the coolant expands again and the radiator core is full. As long as you don't have a leaking cooling system, you never need to add coolant until you replace it. Years ago coolant tanks didn't exist. Is a coolant tank more eco friendly? I guess but I have had coolant on the floor of the shop and it is not a magnet for dogs. Never lost a dog from drinking coolant. Keep in mind my dogs have always had fresh water to drink so they aren't dying for a drink either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony 76 View Post
Bubba68 go back and read his original post he said it wouldn't kill them I know what I read
I did read it...

In case you can't read that, it says "Its not a magnet for dogs" - his experience...says nothing about it not killing them

"Never lost a dog from drinking coolant" - doesn't say his dogs drank it and didn't die, the key is context given by his previous and the next sentence:

"Keep in mind my dogs have always had fresh water to drink so they aren't dying for a drink either"

Meaning his dogs have never drank it, and therefore he has never lost one to drinking coolant...because they've never drank it.

It NEVER ONCE says ANYTHING about it not killing them if they drink it. Not once. His first sentence, again, is put in CONTEXT by the stuff I put in bold.

This is very basic reading comprehension and it absolutely appalls me how terrible it is on forums all over the internet. Speaks volumes about our society's schools
__________________
--------------------------------
Jeep Snobs Are The Worst
--------------------------------
Bubba68CS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Tony 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Norwalk,CT
Posts: 453
Tell me this what does the second sentence say? I'll tell you what it says. it says it's not a problem and won't kill animals. So don't treat me like I'm stupid.cause what your schools failed to teach you was manners. Cause I'm going off of what he wrote nothing else. And those are his words. You know why your defending him and he's not defending himself?because he's accepted that he wrote it. It's as plain as day.

Tony 76 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1998 TJ gas tank mod 15 to 19 Blacksurt Builders Corner 33 09-27-2013 10:30 PM
Dropping the Fuel Tank Mud YJ Tech Forum 8 12-02-2012 12:03 PM
Coolant seap around radiator tank crimps Gorving3 TJ Tech Forum 9 12-28-2010 11:56 PM
15 Gallon Tank Conversion -- Safety Issue KCrisp TJ General Discussion Forum 12 10-24-2010 12:33 PM
Gas tank issue erickpl TJ Tech Forum 0 10-02-2007 08:02 AM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC