Electrical problems please help!! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
KCCO_YJ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15
Electrical problems please help!!

So I recently changed out my alternator and bought a brand new battery. (alt was bought used from salvage yard..). Once I hooked it all back up it fired right up no problems, checked the battery voltage and at idle it was 12.9. the gauge on the dash showed just over 9. A little concerned but not too worried; just glad to have it running again. (daily driver and I'm broke). I did all this on tuesday. Today on my way to work, radio goes out and tach stops working. look at the dash gauge and its pegged into the negative, yet still running. Get to work safe and sound. The way home had the same problem but this time my speedo was all over the place as well. Got it home and checked the codes using the "key trick".. shooting 12, 17, 33, 41, 55. It sounds like the battery is dead when i tried to crank it over when I got home. Hooking up a Charher to it and see if it helps. Looking for any guidance. I'm in the dark when it comes to automotive electrical systems... Thank you in advance!

1994 YJ 4.0 5 speed.

KCCO_YJ1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,909
check your battery voltage with engine off..should be 12+ volts..crank the engine and with it running check the voltage again..if the alternator is working then the second reading will be higher than the first one.check all your battery connections to be clean and tight.check the alternator connections to make sure you put them back correctly and that they are tight.check the fan belt to make sure that it is tight enough

harleydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Mowrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Tampa Fl.
Posts: 785
Voltage with the engine running should be around 13.8-14.2 if everything is working properly.I have seen way too many batterys and alternators replaced because of bad battery terminals and cables.The replacement terminal ends are the worse offenders, they should be against the law.If you have the bolt on battery terminal ends get rid of them they are only intended for TEMPORARY use.
__________________
95 YJ 2.5 5 speed 33" Mud Rovers SOA
A frustrating WORK IN PROGRESS
Mowrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowrangler View Post
Voltage with the engine running should be around 13.8-14.2 if everything is working properly.I have seen way too many batterys and alternators replaced because of bad battery terminals and cables.The replacement terminal ends are the worse offenders, they should be against the law.If you have the bolt on battery terminal ends get rid of them they are only intended for TEMPORARY use.
temporary use my ass..you and I both have used those suckers since moby dick was a minnow..I agree,they are not the best but if you stay on top of them they will work..of the 7 vehicles in my yard I bet at least 3 of them have that type terminal,probably all of them that aren't side terminal..voltage stated above is ideal,sometimes it won't be quite that high but it should be close..main thing is to check for an increase when running
harleydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Mowrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Tampa Fl.
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydragon View Post
temporary use my ass..you and I both have used those suckers since moby dick was a minnow..I agree,they are not the best but if you stay on top of them they will work..of the 7 vehicles in my yard I bet at least 3 of them have that type terminal,probably all of them that aren't side terminal..voltage stated above is ideal,sometimes it won't be quite that high but it should be close..main thing is to check for an increase when running
Yes I have used them in the past but lately with all this computer crap they put in these cars (Jeeps) I have found a lot of problems both driveability and electrical are caused by bad connections from them, so I have swore them off. Car dealers are famous for using them but with car sitting not being driven they create more problems than they are worth.And most people are not like us and maintain them like you are supposed to and they wonder why they have problems, just my .02
__________________
95 YJ 2.5 5 speed 33" Mud Rovers SOA
A frustrating WORK IN PROGRESS
Mowrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowrangler View Post
Yes I have used them in the past but lately with all this computer crap they put in these cars (Jeeps) I have found a lot of problems both driveability and electrical are caused by bad connections from them, so I have swore them off. Car dealers are famous for using them but with car sitting not being driven they create more problems than they are worth.And most people are not like us and maintain them like you are supposed to and they wonder why they have problems, just my .02
I knew you were going to use that ugly word....computer
harleydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Mowrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Tampa Fl.
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydragon View Post
I knew you were going to use that ugly word....computer
That is why I am officially retired from doing this for a living.Cars are way too overcomplicated.I believe in 2015 the ECM will control your bowl movements.
__________________
95 YJ 2.5 5 speed 33" Mud Rovers SOA
A frustrating WORK IN PROGRESS
Mowrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowrangler View Post
That is why I am officially retired from doing this for a living.Cars are way too overcomplicated.I believe in 2015 the ECM will control your bowl movements.
yeah..very few true mechanics left
harleydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
87 Florida YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 728
Well I know two good ones. Reading the two of you going back and forth with the great things you know is just magic. Seriously, both of you are top of the line JeepMaters. Maybe there is something to that "always trust the old guy" routine the Dragon is always peddling. Thanks for the time you spend with us dopes.
__________________
Driving a jeep with a top is like screwing wearing a prophylactic. Maybe a little safer but doesn't feel nearly as good.
87 Florida YJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
87 Florida YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 728
[QUOTE=I believe in 2015 the ECM will control your bowl movements.[/QUOTE]

Well that will at least be good news for the Dragon who needs all the help he can get
__________________
Driving a jeep with a top is like screwing wearing a prophylactic. Maybe a little safer but doesn't feel nearly as good.
87 Florida YJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 Florida YJ View Post
Well that will at least be good news for the Dragon who needs all the help he can get
hey,what are you doing in ?? no night vision on the binoculars?
harleydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
87 Florida YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydragon View Post
hey,what are you doing in ?? no night vision on the binoculars?
__________________
Driving a jeep with a top is like screwing wearing a prophylactic. Maybe a little safer but doesn't feel nearly as good.
87 Florida YJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
KCCO_YJ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15
Thanks guys. Will double check all my connections and such tomorrow. have it on the charger so ill have enough boost to get me to work and back. and since this alt is from the junk yard i think im just gonna bite the bullet and purchase one new from autozone. better piece of mind. any clue as to why its shooting the 41, 33 and 17 codes???

KCCO_YJ1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC